Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Socially Awkward Mers?

Senior Member Pod of Cali

Socially Awkward Mers?

Is anyone else socially awkward and has some trouble making friends? I tend to miss out on a lot of social cues so because of that I only have a few close friends.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I've never been the social type, so I don't have many friends. The few that I do, like me for me. Never been comfortable with people I don't know in a face to face situation. I'm ok when on the internet, I have the screen to hide behind! Not saying I'm a hideous monster or anything like that, just not comfortable in social situations.

I am socially awkward, have agoraphobia and fear of social gatherings as well

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mer-Crazy's Avatar

Visit Mer-Crazy's Youtube Channel
    I believe I am quite shy, which some say is social awkwardness but I argue that I'm not awkward with friends at all, just strangers. I also find I have trouble making friends. I don't know, I try but I seem to like people a lot more than they like me. So I feel a little rejected when they don't put in effort to see me.

Yes. Exactly the reason why I don't post on here much, and when I do, my anxiety kicks up for about 15 minutes afterwards and I have to calm myself down (makes me wonder why I still post, guess it's because they're still some understanding people on here that are fun to talk to). I truly only have 4 or 5 friends and I'm only really close to two of them because I currently live with them and the rest are scattered across the world far away. It's rough and a bit lonely, but that's the life of a cursed antisocial mer.
    Hopefully it'll get easier.

Junior Member Pod of Oceania

Follow Mirabelle le Mergirl on Tumblr
    No MATTER! Just be yourself- all you need is that. Also, don't look for friendship- friendship will find you~!

Good luck, just keep swimming
    Mirabelle

Me! Me me me!!! I am the most socially awkward person I know. However I am NOT awkward online :P or maybe I am and just haven't noticed yet.... hmmm... I'm the person who in social situations would rather sit with friends or alone (usually alone :/ ) than meet new people. I'm basically completely lost without my friends, which is kinda sad... I get overlooked a lot when I'm with my friends, like if I say something funny then no one laughs but someone else says it and everyone thinks it's the funniest thing in the world. It's annoying, but I'm too awkward to call them out on it
    "The cure for anything is saltwater: sweat, tears, or the sea​" ~Isak Dinesen

Socially Awkward Mers?

I'm very very socially awkward and even online but just when I first start talking to someone lol it's very difficult for me to make friends even online. I'm way too shy for my own good. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm just afraid of not being able in making friends, and it's a very big problem for me... I can be social but I always think of not being loved.
    Last edited by Mermaid Adriel; 02-11-2014 at 07:03 AM.
    (Formerly known as Mermaid Claudia)

I used to be homeschooled, and was a VERY outgoing child with numerous friends. When I went to school, I found that others did not appreciate my quirkiness. I think that it was group-think more than individuals actually not liking me. Kids like to make fun of people who dare to be different. Ever since then, I have had trouble getting close to people because I worry that they are judging me. Part of the reason why I love mernetwork is that we are all a little bit strange And that's a good thing!!!

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    Yeah, I would certainly say I'm a socially awkward person. I was homeschooled my entire life, and I've come to realize most people don't look very highly on that. I have always felt social pressure to have more friends, but I feel a little better about only having very few after seeing this video and realizing that I'm not a freak, I'm just an introvert.
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

Proudly Socially Awkward

I've always been socially awkward, often missing social cues (or just ignoring them). It probably took me into my mid to late 20's to learn how to pick up on social cues and non-verbal communication and respond properly. I likely missed out on many potential romantic relationships because I just didn't realize that a girl was flirting with me. That being said, my fiance is a wonderful woman who is just as socially awkward as I am; the combined awkwardness is entertaining to us and others.

Yeah, I'm both shy and introverted. Social settings make me nervous, but I love to spend time in my own head anyway. I think I've finally started to get over my shyness(A couple years ago I was barely able to like something on facebook,I was so nervous about what people would think. Now I post on here and write stories, and can run into the store for my mom alone.) Missing social cues also feels like a problem for me. It always feels like I've said the wrong thing.
    Enhydrina ~ 3<I+O

I have always had problems with social situations. I hate meeting new people and having to explain my life (where do I work, do I study, what do I do and how do I live since I don't do either, etc). I never had any friends at school and I still find it really hard to make friends even now. I only have a couple of close friends. I don't mind that though since I love them and think they are a hell of a lot better than any big social circle anyway. I also don't pick up on social cues and stuff like that. I can never tell if someone is flirting with me, for instance.

My older sisters (twins) are social butterflies and were friends with everyone at their school, even underclassmen. They were on homecoming court multiple times, each were nominated for superlatives, and always had friends anywhere they went. When I was in school with them for a year, many of their friends didnt know who I was so if I said hi to my sisters near them they'd look at me like I had no right to do it :/ it was very degrading, and a lot of times my sisters didnt back me up in those situations
    "The cure for anything is saltwater: sweat, tears, or the sea​" ~Isak Dinesen

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Cecelia View Post
    My older sisters (twins) are social butterflies and were friends with everyone at their school, even underclassmen. They were on homecoming court multiple times, each were nominated for superlatives, and always had friends anywhere they went. When I was in school with them for a year, many of their friends didnt know who I was so if I said hi to my sisters near them they'd look at me like I had no right to do it :/ it was very degrading, and a lot of times my sisters didnt back me up in those situations
    Ugh, it's hard growing up with a sibling who's like that isn't it? I have a brother who is exactly like that, everywhere he goes he has friends and admirers in the hundreds. I always felt rather excluded too. If I am out somewhere with him these days he will introduce me to his friends and try to include me though, which is nice. But when we were growing up he never did.

I don't know if I qualify as socially awkward so much as socially clueless. I'm 'shy' on one hand, but on the other, I feel pretty confident most of the time about most things I have to do. I just sometimes don't 'get' what people are trying to say or what is going on around me, because I feel like an alien on this planet. Or, more appropriately, a mermaid on land. I've become accustomed to pretending like I'm confident until I am. ha.

Meeting new people I've nothing in common with, though, that I dread. Making small talk is difficult for me, unless someone and I have something in common, like a passion. So, getting a tattoo from an artist who is from a similar subcultural past = win, and easy conversation because we have similar subject matter to talk about. Getting a hair trim from a stylist whose life might as well be in another dimension? ... noooo.

I have to laugh, Aino-

Quote Originally Posted by Aino Revontuletar View Post
    I also don't pick up on social cues and stuff like that. I can never tell if someone is flirting with me, for instance.
    -because Saturday night I totally misinterpreted what was apparently a straight man 'freaking' at me. No one does that in the clubs I go to, I didn't even realize that's what he was doing at first, I only realized when I learned today he did it to other women, too. Apparently, it was some kind of come on?

But *I* thought he was posturing at me and trying to get into my dance space and move me out of it. He's not the usual clientele for the club, and people just don't do things like that at the club. Because I couldn't understand WHY he was doing that at all, my brain was all 'oh he's trying to front? At a goth club?'

Turns out he was doing that to a few women, and the guy I thought was his boyfriend was actually his sober friend trying to apologize for his actions all night.

I also totally thought the guy was gay and I'm not even sure why. But the social cluelessness was a good thing, in this case. It kept my reaction down to eye rolling and assuming he was drunk guy not interested in*me* instead of assuming he was trying to get CLOSE to me, and I would not have handled that with grace.

i'm so socially awkward that i kill threads.
    The SeaGlass Siren

Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeaNymph View Post
    -because Saturday night I totally misinterpreted what was apparently a straight man 'freaking' at me.
    Forgive my ignorance, but what is 'freaking'? I have never been clubbing in my life and don't intend to start so I know nothing of the jargon

I only learned what it was like six weeks ago. The only example I could find was this video on YouTube. And he did not do it that well, and had he, I still don't want it being done AT me. I don't care where I am.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaGlass Siren View Post
    i'm so socially awkward that i kill threads.

Yep, me too. Deadly thread killer, here. I also say a lot in posts that gets completely ignored, but I'm not going to stop because of that.