Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you ask your local pools if you can use your tail?

Visit Sammi_Ray's Youtube Channel
    After ringing round 24 pools with big fat hell nos! i finally gotthe 25th to say yes! They are a uni that is dedicated to sports. I have to pay £22 for an hour but thats worth paying! I explained the whole situation and said they would call me back and they said yes. I have to stick to my lane.

My experience is never say mermaid tail in the first instance, talk about monofins and asking to book your own lane away from people. My phone bill is gonna be hudge and my bank account empty but well worth it.

Thank you for the tip!!!

And 24 pools said no? Yikes... I am glad you found one that said yes! Does anyone know if YMCA would said yes or no to mermaid tails?

Visit Sammi_Ray's Youtube Channel
    Yep! Was crazy and got really down about it, but don't lose hope! :-)

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    actually, phoning/emailing beforehand and asking whoever answers is about the worst way to get to swim in my experience.
    You will get a resounding "NO" in 99% of cases if you do this.

There are of course some strict "no fins"-policy pools around, but most don't have it specified.
    So this is what you do:

1. go to the pool with a pair of short rubber flippers, like zoomers
    2. if nobody says a thing when you swim with them, proceed to 3
    3. do this a few times until the guards all know you, then upgrade to a pair of bigger flippers
    4. if they still don't say a thing, upgrade to a monofin
    5. when they're used to seeing you swim no problem with the monofin, bring your tail

of course, you can skip points if you see other people already with flippers/monofin, or the rules state openly that it is allowed.

I used this method to tailswim in several locations which normally don't allow fins- they were too lazy to come and drag someone out doing it anyway, though
    I adopted this method after being rudely told that fins were not allowed in one pool even though the rules clearly stated that it was allowed when staying in the fast lane.
    It aways comes down to the lifeguard currently present, but in most cases it is
    ask >> NO
    just do it >> whatever

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Delphinidae's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammi_Ray View Post
    After ringing round 24 pools with big fat hell nos! i finally gotthe 25th to say yes! They are a uni that is dedicated to sports. I have to pay £22 for an hour but thats worth paying! I explained the whole situation and said they would call me back and they said yes. I have to stick to my lane.

My experience is never say mermaid tail in the first instance, talk about monofins and asking to book your own lane away from people. My phone bill is gonna be hudge and my bank account empty but well worth it.
    I also only talk about monofins when I ask. Really, it's not like there's much difference between swimming with a fin and swimming with a fin + tail anyway.

Senior Member Pod of The South Keiris's Avatar
    Add Keiris on Facebook
    I don't ask I just DO IT. No one has ever had the balls to tell me to stop once they saw how well I move through the water.

Senior Member Pod of The South MidsummerMermaid's Avatar
    I'm always terrified someone's gonna say I'm banned. I have a bad habit of always assuming the worst

Sent from my shell phone using MerNetwork mobile app
    ***** I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living *****

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Keiris View Post
    I don't ask I just DO IT. No one has ever had the balls to tell me to stop once they saw how well I move through the water.
    this is the best method, which mostly works.
    Being a tall, strongly built man ups your chances no one will bother you about it by a large margin, though

Senior Member Pod of The South MidsummerMermaid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    this is the best method, which mostly works.
    Being a tall, strongly built man ups your chances no one will bother you about it by a large margin, though
    Yeah she's got a point. I'm tiny enough to be considered a 12 year old and I'm 20.

Sent from my shell phone using MerNetwork mobile app
    ***** I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living *****

If I did that, I'd probably be banned from going back to the pool, fins or not...

I live in SD Cali and have had this problem, at least with monofins. The first monofin I tried swimming with was a Linden - not the best looking one, because several pools immediately turned me away due to its mermaid shape. I've found that with my Finis Shooter, with it being less mermaid like and more athletic looking, I've had zero problems swimming in any public pool. I think people's perceptions of the mermaid community and anything mermaid shaped immediately alludes to danger for lifeguards. Needless to say what a mermaid skin would do. Good luck!

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keiris View Post
    (Formerly known as Æolius)