Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you ask your local pools if you can use your tail?

Senior Member Euro Pod Mermaid Mhara's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Mhara on Facebook

How do you ask your local pools if you can use your tail?

Hi everyone, so I've been having trouble finding somewhere to use my tail lately. And so, I wanted to ask here...how exactly do you go about asking and convincing local pools to let you use your tail??

Here are a few problems I've run into:

Asking 'Could I use my Mermaid tail in the pool' is slightly problematic, as they instantly get confused and think you're crazy (especially if you're a guy!)

Asking 'Could I use a mono fin' is difficult considering many people just do not know what a mono fin even is!

Bringing the tail in to show is stressful for someone like me who doesn't live in walking distance of a pool, it causes bashing, crashing, little to no bus seat space, and let down at the end when the pool says no.

And when a pool finally realises what the flipping fin you're going on about...they usually say no due to 'Health and Safety' reasons (?!?)

So how should we go about doing it??

Lately I've been E-mailing or phoning instead of asking in person but it seems to be of no help either :/

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    Perhaps you could tell them you are training with an professional, olympic-style training device (the monofin), and maybe even include a link or two to some info/video of monofin training/swimming if you are e-mailing them? If they approve that, then perhaps mention that sometimes you wear a fabric sheath-type swimsuit, both for aesthetic purposes and also to help your form. When you get to the pool, I would suggest doing a few laps in monofin only, just to show them how safe it is and everything before you get into your tail.

Hope this helps! Every mer should be able to swim in their tails at a pool!

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

Senior Member Pod of The South MermanZen's Avatar
    Ya I mean I will probity run into the same probs ur having when I start swimming in my neighborhood pool but if anyone asks I'll just say I'm training for free diving and if they don't allow it witch I know they allow fins and flippers cause I saw a guy training with flippers so I should be able to swim in my tail but I'd just jump right in and if they have a problem with it just explain that your training too.

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    You can ask them several questions with the tail being just one of them, so that it sounds less odd. For example, first ask what temperature the pool is, and whether they allow any freediving gear like swim fins and a snorkel. If they say that they do, ask whether someone would be allowed to swim in a mermaid costume, provided that the costume was designed to be functional in the water. If you ask "would someone be allowed to swim in a mermaid costume", you don't need to make any mention of whether you're talking about yourself or not. Also, its good to mention that the tail is designed to be functional in the water, and isn't some kind of Halloween costume.

If they want to know why and you think the fact that its purely recreational will make them less willing to let you, you could say its related to an amateur film project.

Like some other people said, you could try getting permission to swim in a monofin the first time, then ask about the mermaid tail after they've seen that you're a capable swimmer.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Seatan's Avatar
    Add Seatan on Facebook
    I have found that people are not really as weirded out as you would expect. I have asked many pools straight up "I have a mermaid tail, can I swim here with it?" and they have just said yes like it was nothing.
    Once upon a time I was known as Seavanna. Going by Seatan these days. I always wanted to be the high lord of underwater hell.

Senior Member Euro Pod Mermaid Mhara's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Mhara on Facebook
    So I got one pool to say yes...kinda.

They said I could use my tail during 'Lane' practice. Basically lane practice (I'd never heard of it before) is when people come to the pool and get their own lane and use that lane to do length training, or anything they wish. Apparently a few people bring weird fin things and webbed gloves so a tail wouldn't be that much of a surprise hehe :')

I'm tempted to take this offer but as I've never done lanes I'm worried I'll get there too late and not have a lane, or get there early and take a long-time going person's usual lane and make them have to sit out. Agh.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    The lanes are the best places to swim.

No kids come to bother you, unless you're a friendly mer person, and don't mind that kind of attention. Myself, I'm more like the grumpy mermaid!

I reckon that if you're a good swimmer, you can just swim underneath the person you're sharing the lane with, when you need to bypass them, instead of waiting for them and for your turn.

You only have to share the lane if someone else is also using a fin or is going the same speed as you. At the pool I go to, they have lanes 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8.

1-2 slow lane, people just walking in the water or like me, beginner swimmer.
    3-5 Medium speed swimming, intermediate swimmers
    5-8 Fast lane, expert swimmers.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Meshy's Avatar
    Add Meshy on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Seavanna View Post
    I have found that people are not really as weirded out as you would expect. I have asked many pools straight up "I have a mermaid tail, can I swim here with it?" and they have just said yes like it was nothing.
    I've found this is the best way to go about it. I've been about 5 times now to my local YMCA and they don't even question me anymore. I had a lifeguard and bunch of adults ask about it, kids are awed, and I think I've made a bunch of parents unhappy, because now they have to get their kids mer-tails. (even the boys want them) The worst is when others swimming as why? Like I'm some sort of freak. But I just smile and ask, why not? Most people are quick to laugh, then tell me that it's cool and looks like fun.

Senior Member Euro Pod selkie13's Avatar
    I don't know how to help with the mermaid tail, but very recently my local pools(could be different in Wales) are allowing fins again as long as its in a swim lane and quiet enough. I think the health and safety has changed. But if not just go in without telling them what your a way to do then claim ignorance. Works sometimes, depending on the lifeguard.

I have never asked at any pool that I have swam in if I could use my tail. Iv'e just started swimming. Nothing bad has happened, yet.
    formerly merana

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mary Marine's Avatar
    It's funny, I think the lifeguards at the pool I go to are looking forward to when I get my tail! I first started swimming there with a monofin, which I knew was okay because other people swam with regular fins. I always get a lot of questions and comments, both from adults and kids like where did I get it, what is it and what's it for, is it a good work out, is it hard to swim in, and my personal favorite, "are you a dolphin or a mermaid?" The lifeguards always make mermaid jokes, so I told them I'm going to grow a tail soon. Now every time they seem me they ask if I bought my tail yet!

So my advice would be to start swimming with just the monofin at a pool that allows swim fins and after the lifeguards see that you aren't going to drown in it mention your tail. Odds are they might even bring up mermaids first!
    "I must be a mermaid. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living." — Anaïs Nin

How do you ask your local pools if you can use your tail?

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Azira View Post
    I have never asked at any pool that I have swam in if I could use my tail. Iv'e just started swimming. Nothing bad has happened, yet.
    This was my case, too. I always checked the pool rules to make sure there was nothing against using fins. And I always put the tail on it the dressing room and "scooched" out to the pool. At one pool, I did have one lifeguard concerned, coming to me at the edge of the pool and saying, "I'm not sure we can have you wear that, can you swim in that?" I said, "Yep!" and pushed off into a lap to show her. She went and got a manager (which gave me a heart attack thinking I was in trouble) and they both stood there with their mouths open watching me swim. Finally I came up next to them to ask if I was okay, and the manager said, "Wow! You can SWIM I that!" They just reminded me to be careful not to hit anyone with my fin.

I agree that it's best to ask, but a lot of pools will cite safety not realizing you can swim in the fin.

www.thalassamermaid.com
    Explore the S.E.A. with me!
    Facebook

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    I never asked either.
    If you ask, it's too easy for them to just say no, especially if they don't know what a tail you have or what a monofin is.

Most lifeguards are far too lazy to get up and call you out once you're in the pool, especially when it's clear you can swim no problem and don't endanger others.

That said, I wish they DID worry a bit more about what's brought into the water.

At my pools here, they NEVER say a word when people don't shower and go in dry.
    Women stinking up the entire place with perfume, or with make-up.
    That's all stuff that will react with the chlorine and result in carcinogenic byproducts.

Of course, there's not a single guard around who has the slightest idea about that.
    Most of them think pool water is sterile too, even when an infant just crapped in it

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mermaid Tula's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Tula On Twitter Add Mermaid Tula on Facebook
    Follow Mermaid Tula on Tumblr
    I called ahead a few days to all of the pools that I swim at when I first took my tail. I first asked about flippers, and if they allowed flippers, I explained what a monofin was, and then finally explained about my tail. For the most part, they thought it was a cool idea. There was one pool that asked me to bring it so they could see it before I swam. I took it in and they said as long as I knew how to swim with it, and didn't hurt anyone that I could swim. Luckily, all of the pools I've taken my tail to thought it was awesome and let me swim where I wanted as long as I didn't bowl over kids lol
    Hi! I'm Sam, aka Mermaid Tula, aka Comatose Angel.
    Hey everyone. I just opened my store on Facebook.
    http://www.facebook.com/tulastidepool

Mermaid Tula's Facebook Page

User previously know as "Comatose_Angel"

Visit Sammi_Ray's Youtube Channel
    I am having the same problem. Every pool i called said no, due to health and safety... worlds gone mad! So they can have giant inflaitables in the pool which a child could get caught under, yet i ask to book a lane during adult swim and get told no because i could drown.. so why do they employ life guards? I would have someone with me. Every who goes swimming takes the risk of drowning.. its stupid!

Senior Member Pod of The South MidsummerMermaid's Avatar
    All I did was call and they directed me to the life guards. They said no monofins for me but they allow bifins

Sent from my shell phone using MerNetwork mobile app
    ***** I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living *****

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    I hike with a group sponsored by the park district. I asked the hike group leader to talk to the park district people, and see what could be done. The result was they agreed to allow tails during lane swimming.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Senior Member Pod of The South MidsummerMermaid's Avatar
    See I may swim I a mermaid tail but I don't like making waves...

Sent from my shell phone using MerNetwork mobile app
    ***** I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living *****

I am slightly glad I have a pool, but if I want to do deep water stuff, this has a lot of useful content to help me get the pool to say yes

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Velos View Post
    I am slightly glad I have a pool, but if I want to do deep water stuff, this has a lot of useful content to help me get the pool to say yes
    You could also say, the tail is your drag suit. I mean if swimmers can swim with drag shorts, why not a tail as the drag component?
    Formerly known as ireneho