Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Kishiko's First Tailmaking Journey!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Ooo! Now you gotta post a vid of you swimming in it!

GREAT! I can't wait to see it in the water!
    (Formerly known as Mermaid Claudia)

HEHEHEHEHEHEHE TIME FOR A THREAD RESURRECTION!

Why? Well because I'm scheming again

so, I didn't like my plain silver fluke, so I used some acrylic paint and painted the edges turquoise. You're probably thinking wow she's an idiot why would she do that? Well yup you're right. It got all peely from the pool bottom and just being in water. But I had to do something because some was still stuck on. So I used the GE Silicone I had left and used the previously stated outdoor acrylic paint to pigment it, then used a plastic knife to smear it on. IT WORKED SND IT LOOKS AWESOME. like it's not peels or anything, didn't have curing problems or anything. So yay!

Now ow my new scheme! Because the edges worked so well, I picked up two new tubes of silicone today. The problem with my tail was where the Velcro is and along the bottom and the middle of the fluke, the metallic fabric coating gets scratched and rubbed and looks all bad. Sooooo I'm using my new silicone to basically "cast" my whole fluke in silicone, but spread it straight on the fabric instead. Here's the current design I have for the fluke (don't mind the merbellas template, just what I had since it's similar)

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  158.4 KB

so I'm going to use quart size zip bags to mix the silicone And paint, and also to use an old plastic icing tip that's like flat to pipe the silicone out of. I was researching about using GE today for non-plumbing things, and found an article someone posted here that linked to another forum. The lady said she used just a few drops of glycerin with her acrylic and GE to make it easier to spread and mix. So I'll be testing that too. Anyway, I'll be posting progress photos tomorrow!
    Last edited by Kishiko; 05-07-2014 at 02:03 PM.

YAY!!
    (Formerly known as Mermaid Claudia)

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Those two colors will blend into the water nicely. The grey, maybe not so much in a swimming pool, but definitely in the ocean or some kind of river/lake.

Quote Originally Posted by ireneho View Post
    Those two colors will blend into the water nicely. The grey, maybe not so much in a swimming pool, but definitely in the ocean or some kind of river/lake.
    haha its actually silver! I have metallic acrylic im using since that was the original color of the fluke ^_^ I love how shiny it is and wanted to still keep some of the shimmer

Okeeyyyy photoless update:

i finished (sort of) one side with the pattern. The silicone was being temperamental with the metallic paint, for some reason it didn't like it very much. But I got it on. It's a little goopy looking, but not awful, plus it has a cool texture! The other side, I just did the edges in turquoise so it had so,etching because I ran out of time