Thread: UraMermaid Merskirt Tail Review - lots of pictures

UraMermaid Merskirt Tail Review - lots of pictures

I was waiting until I finished customizing the tail before I posted a review, and although I still haven't swam in it yet, I did test it in the bath!

I placed my order on 8/14 and it was shipped on 9/10 and arrived 9/16. The company is based in the UK and I'm in New York. Lolly was easy to talk to and usually answered me within a day or so. I ordered a custom sized adult tail in the mystic river color through Facebook and Paypal. The cost was 60GPB plus shipping, so in USD I payed $115. My tail was the merskirt version, so it had a zipper on the back of the fluke for foot access. I chose this style so that I'd be able to insert and remove the monofin more easily. Here's what it looked like when I first got it.

Name:  pretailtag.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  51.3 KB
    Name:  pretail1.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  46.7 KBName:  pretail2.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  34.7 KB
    Name:  tumblr_mt9x0wV27T1qa2hh0o7_250.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  61.9 KBName:  pretail5.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  56.9 KBName:  pretail3.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  55.3 KB

It's very professionally stitched and fits nicely. When I add the monofin, it's a little snug in the fluke. So I ended up shaping the fin to fit into the tail better. I just shaved down the middle section to give it a bit of a more mermaidy shape.

I used Lumiere paints to customize the fluke. The zipper area is pretty well hidden on its own and the paint job helped.

Name:  progress1.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  70.8 KB
    Name:  progress2.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  86.1 KB
    Name:  progress3.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  68.0 KB

And then I took it into the bath!

Name:  tail.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  72.6 KB
    Name:  seraphina.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  28.9 KB
    Name:  seraphina2.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  34.1 KB

The pictures were touched up slightly, but you can still sort of see where the zipper area is on the fluke. Not that noticeable with or without editing. All in all, no complaints. A good tail for a good price! I would recommend this tailmaker to anyone looking to get a good basic fabric tail. Here is her Facebook and her eBay.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Senior Member Euro Pod selkie13's Avatar
    You half to really look to see the zipper, but that aside I love the colour! And you have to tell me how the paint holds up in the pool, chlorine can be so evil

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    I love the fluke paint job. Super cute. You look Darling in your photos.
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Pretty! And green! I like green.

Re: UraMermaid Merskirt Tail Review - lots of pictures

Thanks! I got to swim in it last week. Unfortunately, the drag was intense. I'm unsure if it's the tail itself, or the paint that I added. I'm guessing it's the paint though. It's on there pretty thick so it's probably not easy for the water to pass through anywhere other than the few spots along the seams where there's little to no paint. Although I can't really swim in it, it still looks great in the water! But between the drag and the stretching of the material, my paintjob is starting the crack pretty badly. Still, for a first tail, I'm very pleased!

More pictures on my facebook page!

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Seraphina Suds; 03-11-2014 at 05:51 PM.