Thread: Diving with a mermaid

Junior Member Pod of New England merlounge's Avatar

Diving with a mermaid

I'm a frequent scuba diver who dives in every type of underwater environment such as cold water, under ice, shipwrecks, caves, deep, warm water, salt water, fresh water, Atlantic ocean, Pacific ocean, etc. I have been a certified diver since 1986 where since 2006 I have been averaging more than 100 dives/year. I also have found a love and fascination for all things merfolks during the past decade. This interest has spilled over to a vast collection including a mermaid sink, a carved mermaid sofa from the 1800s, mermaid end tables, art work, ceramics, utensils and many other items. What I have come to realize is that for me, merfolks represent the mystery and beauty of the undersea world that continues to call for visits.

So in this vein, I'd like to share a few pictures from a May 2012 dive trip with my oldest son to Mermaid Cove at Saltery Bay Provincial Park in British Columbia, Canada. What made this dive special is a visit to the 9' tall statue known as the 'Emerald Princess'. A nice of the dive has been been posted by another dive team that captures her beauty and that of the surrounding area with colorful anemones and fish and crustaceans and even a seal within the cold and green waters.

This bronze sculpture was created by Simon Morris in 1986. A few years later he was commissioned for a second casting which was placed underwater at the Sunset House in Grand Cayman, British West Indies. This mermaid, titled 'Amphitrite', has since been voted by Scuba Diving Magazine as the #1 shore dive on Grand Cayman. I have not had the pleasure of diving here though it is on my bucket list!

Might others feel the same mystery and beauty of the underwater world?

Name:  MermaidCove050412sm.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  317.7 KB Name:  EmeraldPrincess05042012.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  113.0 KB

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    What a nice view! Is it a fresh water lake?

Junior Member Pod of New England merlounge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ireneho View Post
    What a nice view! Is it a fresh water lake?
    No it's salt water. Check out the video link in post 1 as it shows the wonderful undersea life as well as the 9' Emerald Princess mermaid statue.

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    Hello, Merlounge. I really enjoyed that video you posted.
    That is a beautiful statue. To answer your question, I'm pretty sure that most of the merfolk and friends you'll meet here on the forum have that sense about the water, and all of the life it holds within it. I know I do.
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of Cali

Visit johnleeex's Youtube Channel
    Diving with mermaids : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jiFYmxmk10 Two mermaids scuba diving, including very deep dives. It is always said in this forum that tanks and tails don't mix, but I think this looks quite elegant!