Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Fae/fairy community

Yes, I actually like the multifaceted, pagan versions of faeries with both light and dark aspects to their personalities (faesonalities?). They are capable of good deeds and bad, benevolence and temper tantrums (even, as you point out, Dan, Tinkerbelle) and everything in between. And, as you said, Echidna, this more complex mythological creature more closely reflects nature and all its intricacies. I don't think the idea of "fairy"= good and light and sweet vs. "faerie" = evil and dark and mean really holds up to scrutiny. However you spell it, these are complicated individuals. I always find mythological creatures (and gods, for that matter) more interesting when they more closely reflect the messy complexities of nature and human nature.

Mermaid Galene (pronounced Guh-LEE-nee)

Mermaid Galene WebNeptune's Keep WebFacebookMG YouTubeNK YouTubeEtsy Shop

Neptune's Keep makes music with fish. Fish have hidden depths!

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Aysun_the_Mermaid View Post
    Seelie and unseelie?
    Just as problematic.
    Seelie usually means something fair to behold, unseelie dark and menacing, but it can also be the other way around.
    It also was assumed the seelie were less prone to harm humans intentionally, but that's debatable.

Nature just cannot be predicted.
    I think that is why humans always were afraid of nature and its powers/spirits, we like to be in control, or at least believe we are.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Kelda's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Kelda on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Kelda's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Galene View Post
    Well, I can't agree with that as a blanket statement.
    Okay, except you made a blanket statement before, too:

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Galene View Post
    To me "fairy" connotes the Victorian, Disney model, which is much fluffier (glitterier?) than the faeries of folklore. Fae faeries, I think, have a little more depth and a stronger connection to nature.
    I was not stating "all fairies must be this" and "all faeries must be this". I was quoting the general consensus that I found when I searched online:

"As others have noted, fairy is the standard modern spelling, and faerie is a pseudo-archaism. However, in some contexts there is now a semantic distinction between the two spellings! In particular, fairy tales and the associated idea of fairies typically refer to the genre of folk stories printed by the Brothers Grimm, then sweetened and popularized for modern audiences by Disney et al. Faerie stories, on the other hand, are stories about the fae: otherworldly, unpredictable, and dangerous creatures who appear in the folk-tales and myths of England and Ireland. In origin, of course, the fairies and the fae are one and the same, but the connotations and usage of the words today are headed in opposite directions."

"First of all, you are going to get mostly opinions for this question. The word "fairy" is the American/British spelling of the Gaelic "faerie" also known as sidthe. Most practitioners of the craft will explain it this way; a fairy would be the little statues of the happy little people of the flowers. The mushroom fairies or flower fairy usually are described as having a very small 3 inch stature with two to four wings attached to their shoulder blades and are seen flitting around the flower gardens. The Faeries (or sidthae) (male or female) are described as anywhere from three inches to forty stories tall and don't necessarily have to be dawning wings. They are said to be the noble "guardian angels" of the plants and animals. Although some believe that humans can have guardian faeries if they have faerie blood or are reincarnated faeries. The other way the Gaelic culture used to describe faeries were as ruthless beautiful maidens whom loved nature and since humans were "destroying the earth" were always hating of them. They also were said to steal children in the night and feed them faerie food that was so rich that they would never be able to return to the human world."

"“Fairy” is a word that has been derived from Latin word “fatum,” which can mean “fate.” Fairies are considered to be a group of young and pure spirits. These fairies are considered to elevate to higher levels through their impartial and loving service. Generally, a fairy refers to the young spirit which is in the mid-level of growth. They are considered to be lower to “sylph” and higher to “elf.” “Faerie” is a word that has been derived from Gaelic “fear shidhe,” which means “man of the shee.” Unlike the fairies, faeries are considered to be evil, horrid, and mischievous creatures. These mythical figures are portrayed as spirits that know easy ways of stealing. For example, faeries steal children and keep them as slaves or pets."

"Here’s the story–while both were derived from the same root word “fae,” the word “fairy” is often used to refer to the small winged, Victorian, pixie type fairy. This would include fairies in fairytales, children’s stories and Disney characters such as Tinkerbell. These fairies tend to be gentle and kind, maybe a bit mischievous and tempermental, but nothing too scary. The word “faery,” usually refers to be a more adult type faery, the legendary faery with origins in the ancient times and places. These “faeries” are not necessarily sweet and cute and playful all the time. In fact, some of these faeries can be quite scary and dangerous."
    Like, be whatever the heck you want to be, and use the words however you want. But don't get mad when I quote a different definition from what you prefer. "Faerie", in old French, didn't even MEAN a fae creature at all - it was the place where they lived - "fairyland" if you will.

The word fairy derives from Middle English faierie (also fayerye, feirie, fairie), a direct borrowing from Old French faerie (Modern French féerie) meaning the land, realm, or characteristic activity (i.e. enchantment) of the legendary people of folklore and romance called (in Old French) faie or fee (Modern French fée). This derived ultimately from Late Latin fata (one of the personified Fates, hence a guardian or tutelary spirit, hence a spirit in general); cf. Italian fata, Portuguese fada, Spanish hada of the same origin.

Fata, although it became a feminine noun in the Romance languages, was originally the neuter plural ("the Fates") of fatum, past participle of the verb fari to speak, hence "thing spoken, decision, decree" or "prophetic declaration, prediction", hence "destiny, fate". It was used as the equivalent of the Greek Μοῖραι Moirai, the personified Fates who determined the course and ending of human life. To the word faie was added the suffix -erie (Modern English -(e)ry), used to express either a place where something is found (fishery, heronry, nunnery) or a trade or typical activity engaged in by a person (cookery, midwifery, thievery). In later usage it generally applied to any kind of quality or activity associated with a particular sort of person, as in English knavery, roguery, witchery, wizardry.

Faie became Modern English fay "a fairy"; the word is, however, rarely used, although it is well known as part of the name of the legendary sorceress Morgan le Fay of Arthurian legend. Faierie became fairy, but with that spelling now almost exclusively referring to one of the legendary people, with the same meaning as fay. In the sense "land where fairies dwell", the distinctive and archaic spellings Faery and Faerie are often used. Faery is also used in the sense of "a fairy", and the back-formation fae, as an equivalent or substitute for fay is now sometimes seen.
    So, traditionally, the two words meant different things anyway. Can we just agree that everyone uses the words differently and you can use whatever spelling suits you?

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kelda View Post
    Can we just agree that everyone uses the words differently and you can use whatever spelling suits you?
    I'm in!

I recall a prior thread where someone suggested all merfolk should share a common origin story, for consistency. It did not end well.
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

Honestly, I'm not mad, Kelda, and I have no wish to annoy you. I really don't, and I am sincerely grateful for the work you have done in setting up Faenetwork. I was merely stating my disappointment with being asked to affiliate with a group without having any say in the descriptions that define those groups. We can all endlessly discuss our individual definitions of "fairy, faerie, elf," etc, because those terms are open to interpretation. But such discussions can become inflamed, as we have found here on MerNetwork whenever someone tries to pin down what a mermaid is or isn't. Discussions of this nature so easily sprial into disagreement, and disagreement spirals into hurt feelings -- all over something that's purely academic. This is exactly why I think it is a bad idea to ask forum members to label themselves. That's the point I'm trying to make, and I don't believe I'm the only person who feels this way.

But it's not really worth fighting about. I hope, however we choose to define our characters, we can all just enjoy sharing a common interest in a new venue. And if some of us don't choose to adopt the labeling system you've devised, that's a just a choice. It's not a call to arms! Really!

Sorry, it was more a figure of speech tbh, I didn't actually think you were mad!

It really is a case of semantics. Since I'm nixing the groups all together, it's not really an issue anyway. I can include both spellings, as I said

Edit: I don't think I was clear on why you were particular on the definitions - I realise now that it's because of the list of creatures and their definitions on the site. I hadn't actually planned on keeping that there, so to me it seemed like a big hoo-ha about nothing. I was thinking, it's just a word on a button in your signature, define it as you like! But I had forgotten that of course I had already defined them by my terms.

I'm so sorry! If I do keep the definitions, I will certainly amend them to be more inclusive!
    Last edited by Mermaid Kelda; 02-19-2015 at 01:47 AM.

I'm joined the forum :-D ,
    In the spring i,m gonna have a fairy photoshoot with my miniature horse as a unicorn :-) .

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    To be fair (no pun intended!), I normally use the term "Faerie" in the sense of "fairyland", and "fairy" for its inhabitants.
    I took up the other spelling because people expect the aforementioned glitterladen honeybee if you say fairy

Anyways, I'm sure each of us finds the word that suits them most.

Thanks, Kelda! It can be so hard sometimes to convey intent in an online conversation! Yes, it was just that I felt like multiethnic folks probably feel when being asked on a form to pick "caucasian," "african-american," "asian" OR "hispanic," when that person is biologically and culturally a blend of several of those groups. I think one easy solution to the problem of identification of character type, whether it be groups or a badge, is just to include a category labeled "hybrid." That would cover people who conceive their character as a blend of the traits of the other categories.

I've actually found our discussion of fae traditions and traits quite interesting, and I've learned from it. That's one of the benefits of having a forum devoted to the fae!

Anyway, all's swell that ends swell!

Oh, MerShasha, that sounds wonderful! I love miniature horses. Can't wait to see those pics!

Name:  Screenshot_2014-11-28-16-28-00-1.png
Views: 328
Size:  631.0 KB
    This is my little sweetheart :-D my little unicorn haha ,
    I most make the unicornhorn for her :-) .

She's a beauty!

Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    I have some wings (and waaay too many costumes)
    Attachment 22418

Off the thread topic, but I just had to say- those are seriously cool wings, Echidna!

Off/On Topic: I'm actually working on a pair of Toothianna wings - with all 10 wings with a rig to open and close them.

I was going to do cellophane or fantasy film, but it was too heavy. May recycle the already made wings and make smaller pairs to use. Like TinkerBell and Navi wings in style.

So, I'm getting thing gauge wire and iridescent netting fabric *Kinda like tulle, but smoother* It's a small project that I'm doing with my tail just so if I get frustrated with one I can jump to the other.

I love Fae and I'm glad to see a forum for them on MerNetwork.

I feel like one day I can actually go to MerFest and it not feel like a big deal if I don't have a tail. (Silly I know).

So, how come I'm the most common poster on the faenetwork? We need new blood and new activity!

Well, technically it's not open yet I'm still waiting to organise things with Iona, since she's got a lot of content planned. I also need to get the mechanics of the site down, graphics, some extra coding stuff. You're free to keep posting on the site, but I'd prefer people didn't invite anyone from outside the mer community just yet, since it's not really ready for viewing. At the moment it's just in the testing phase.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Sherielle's Avatar
    I lost the link and have to search to find it.

I've been really busy gigging the past few months, but I'm delighted that FaeNetwork is still being developed. I will have a lot to share soon! For now, here's a song I wrote this morning. It's for children, so very Disneyesque, but I will sing it for the kids who attend our faerie naturalist programs:

FAERIE FAE

Faerie Fae, Faerie Fae,
    what a beautiful world!
    Morning’s kiss on sleeping lilies
    makes their blooms unfurl.

Bluebirds laugh and foxes play,
    ducklings swim and willows sway.
    Dewdrop diamonds shine in the sun
    among the Faerie Fae.

inst. break with siren song

Stories told in faerie rings,
    while sylvan folk all gather round,
    say, “Hold the wild things to your heart.
    Don’t let them vanish without a sound.”

If you notice, if you care,
    and learn to love what’s already there,
    you’ll find, some spring,
    you feel your wings
    among the Faerie Fae.

© 2015 by Diane Rains. All Rights Reserved.

I've also finished my song, Wood of the Fae, which is a more mature take on the faerie world. I'll post that later.
    Last edited by Mermaid Galene; 04-02-2015 at 12:29 PM.

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast