Thread: SpecialFins - My new Monofin!

SpecialFins - My new Monofin!

AHHhh I am SO EXCITED!!! I've finally saved up enough moolah to get a fancy monofin It took me sooo long to pick out which one, seriously I made paper versions of 3 different monofins to compare them.
    After reading Mermaid Melanie's thread about her new monofin and after the video she posted today I really was leaning toward SpecialFins! Then they replied back to my email that they could cut the monofin blade for me! I had emailed Leaderfins and they wouldn't.
    SpecialFins sent me these two pics when I asked if they could cut a mermaid shape- sorry they're so huge :P
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Mermaid at
    <3
    (heart)

Awesome! Which one do you like better? They both look really really cool.

Awesome Its cool they will cut the blade! Havent heard of that before.
    •○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•
    "The breaking of a wave cannot explain the whole sea."
    •○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•
    ○•○•○•○•

-Vladimir Nabokov

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    OMG That bottom one is just beautiful... I may have to look into getting that one in the future! For now, I'm currently tracking my first monofin's shipment to me, so another monofin is not going to happen any time soon But seriously, I'm in love with that second 'fin, especially how all the graded layers are also specially shaped!

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

I love that second one, too.

This company's getting bookmarked.

I really like the second one! How much are SpecialFins?

“Don't you ever let a soul in the world tell you that you can't be exactly who you are.”

Formerly known as Mermaid Eva

Yup I went with the 2nd one! And shipping to Canada is 33 EUR ($50 CAD) and the monofin on the site is 99 EUR but I'm still waiting to hear if the mods are gunna cost me....
    Mermaid at
    <3
    (heart)

Sooooo they emailed me back with the total amount and payment options! The "Dolphin Mermaid Monofin" as they call it, is 110 Euros - $169 CAD for me. Plus the 33 Euros to get it shipped to my door, the total cost (in CAD, shipping to Canada) is $228! Still cheaper than the Finis competitor monofin, even with our discount!

Payment options are Paypal- MasterCard (no Visa) or they sent me a Proforma invoice to do a bank transfer. Never really done that before but since I don't have MasterCard I guess I'll look into it :P

"We will start to make your Mermaid Monofin after that when advance payment (pro forma invoice) is paid.

Your Monofin will be ready to dispatch 22.03.2014."

EEEEEeeeee!!! So excited!
    Last edited by Mermaid Sabie; 03-08-2014 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Adding info
    Mermaid at
    <3
    (heart)

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I love the first one! Mainly because I like big flukes.

I ordered it yesterday!! Clarification on paying: They are only set up to receive MasterCard BUT you can send them money from your own Paypal account (which for me is set up to my Visa) and that works fine
    Mermaid at
    <3
    (heart)

Re: SpecialFins - My new Monofin!

I was looking at this Monofin and I finally decided to buy it we exchanged a few emails and mine came out to be $200 dollars shipping included.
    Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    User formerly known as "MermaidLex"
    ~My heads underwater, but I'm breathing fine~

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mermaid Melanie's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Melanie on Facebook
    Hey lovelies ! So happy you got your fin ordered and glad I could help you decide ! you will just love the fin ! can't wait to see it when its done x
    Yougot your own style, now let it come through. And remember no matter what, you got to be you. -Sebastian

Hi guys! I'm sorry to bump this thread up but I am considering ordering a cut specialfin. Did you (Sabie, Melanie, or anyone else who owns this fin) get the open heel or the closed heel for the foot pockets? I was asked which I prefer and I'm curious about which option is better in the long run. Plus I think I remember reading on here about how closed heels aren't as obvious in tails, but I just want to make sure I'm making the right choice. When I emailed Specialfin Karmo sent me this photo, which is similar to the 2nd one you received, except the foot pockets are closed and not open. Name:  IMG_7505.JPG
Views: 866
Size:  70.9 KB

@Julianne you really need to read this thread
    http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...onofin-crack-(
    Give the whole thing a quick read its not that long
    Mermaid at
    <3
    (heart)

Darn I've been emailing him over the past few days and was just about to purchase it, is the replacement fin working well?
    formerly known as Julianne.

Hey guys

About two years ago I was searching for a monofin, that provides me with the right properties I need for my Neoprene-Mermaid-Tail. So I ordered the Special Fins "Monofin Dolphin" with a hard blade, to make sure I am getting well propelled. Let me give you a quick review: The monofin itself is made of really high quality. I am a really good swimmer and monofin swimming is for me no big deal. If I ever oder a new monofin from Special-Fins, I would definitely take a softer blade (for experienced mermaids the "medium" and for junior mermaids the "soft" blade version).

Well the "hard" blade version is really great, so that I get really fast underwater and can jump out of the water really nice. But that gives your legs (feets) fatigue too. And yeah the flat foot-pockets look really nice, smooth and hides your feet when wearing the tail, but the foot pockets for me personal are so flat, that the dorsum of my feets get a bit crushed and red after swimming in it. You really need to get used to it. I cut the monofin a bit, for being well shaped for my neoprene tail. This cutting really helped me getting used to my monofin a bit better. Also the cutting made my monofin moving unterwater more softly and fishy (if you know what I mean).

So then to the heel-strap: Mine is an open one and I choosed the "Strongened fin-strap" which was a really good decision. I dragged the edges of the heel-straps because sometimes it was a bit sharp to my skin. Additional I use silicone heel sleeves to protect my feet/ heels when making acrobatic moves underwater. The silicone heel sleeves I can really recommend One funny thing is that the foot-pockets aren't fully closed --> That means: The sole of your feet stands directly on the fibre-glass of the monofin itself (I don't have disadvantages with that, but only for you being well informed).

So if you gonna order this monofin, consider my tip for your right decision. I don't want that you think these monofins are not good (they are great), but you need to know what works best for your needs Hope my review helped you and hope you are mermaiding very soon!

Lovely greets from austria, Eva