Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Show off your tops! :)

Those are both really gorgeous, Iona, and they inspired my design. (A propos of another thread - hope it's not too much of a direct copy. It's just for me; I have no plans to sell anything.)

Mermaid Galene (pronounced Guh-LEE-nee)

Mermaid Galene Web• Neptune's Keep Web• Facebook•MG YouTube•NK YouTube•Etsy Shop

Neptune's Keep makes music with fish. Fish have hidden depths!

To my eye, this top looks really well proportioned and beautiful. But I wonder if attaching an outline of small white shells, maybe around the inside edge of the lion's paws, would visually offset the bulk of the greenery. It might make the whole top look smaller.

Mermaid Galene Web• Neptune's Keep Web• Facebook•MG YouTube•NK YouTube•Etsy Shop

Tardis tops - lol! The perfect solution. I'm imagining how the good Doctor would face the challenge of a mermaid bra.

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Orca View Post
    That's it! *Slams fist down.* We need to learn how to make Tardis mermaid tops ... Things that are larger on the inside than the outside so that all mermaids can have cute little tops!
    Lol, if someone figures out how to do this, I will love them forever!
    Quote Originally Posted by Winged Mermaid View Post

I've only made two tops myself.. I need to make another one. I'm so horrible at procrastinating making new ones, haha :P Is that just a me thing or do you guys have that problem too?
    I've got a 75%-80% finished top that's been sitting in my living room for a month now. Sewing on the foliage is just so tedious! And I invariably get frustrated and break a thread and have to start over. Also, I have no gorilla glue, so I can't put the shells on yet, grrrrr.
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

I've found upholstery thread really useful for sewing on greenery. It is SUPER strong!

A couple of works in progress:

Name:  Turquoise fin top (sm).jpg
Views: 2669
Size:  415.8 KB

Name:  Sea pony top (sm).jpg
Views: 2333
Size:  442.2 KB

These are great. Now you need to make a leafy sea dragon tail to go with them!

Oh, I would LOVE to have seadragons as part of my costume! If only they weren't beyond the scope of home aquarists, I would have a weedy seadragon to keep my seahorses company. The leafys are just amazing!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Chesapeake Pod
    Oh, Iona! I am in love with your abalone shell top! It's so beautiful! <3
    "Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward."

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod MerAnthony's Avatar
    Add MerAnthony on Facebook
    LOL If somebody ever does make a Tardis top let me know. For when my GF gets her tail from Mermaid MerMarla she is going to need something for her puppies. She is not small by any meens.
    Be Happy Swim Free

I finished the first top!

Name:  Mermaid Galene sea pony top.jpg
Views: 2309
Size:  333.8 KB

Name:  Mermaid Galene selfie 6.jpg
Views: 2445
Size:  273.7 KB

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Nice! That looks great! I love the sea-horse!

Yeah, isn't she a cool pony? I got her on Etsy, and the artist is making a smaller version for a headpiece. This horse is really heavy, though; it's polymer clay. Once my mermaid business gets rolling and I have a little more time for making stuff, I think I'll sculpt and cast some rigid neoprene pieces for my costumes. Rigid neoprene is really light and sturdy, and it takes detail really well from a mold. I also want to do some silicone pieces for tops and headdresses. I'm all about critters, so it would be great fun to make and wear mantas and seadragons and whales. (Oh, my!)

I just finished my first abalone top. Here it is with Iona's spectacular necklace and earrings:

Name:  Galene in abalone top1.jpg
Views: 2041
Size:  466.7 KB

Name:  MG abalone top.jpg
Views: 1987
Size:  742.6 KB

Just finished making my abalone top for a Dr sketchy gig yesterday. Took a long time to find shells big enough for me!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Looks great!

Sent from my shellphone using Tapatalk

Beautiful! Where did you find the large shells?

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Galene View Post
    Beautiful! Where did you find the large shells?
    They are white abalone with slight parasite damage (so a couple of flaws in them) from a shell collector here in Australia. Apparently very few polished shells come that large, and if they do they have a bit of damage but you can hardly tell. So that's why people rarely sell them.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

I was not able to find abalones large enough to cover the cups of my bra, so I just put other stuff around the shells.

LOVE this top! I am going to try and find big ones and then do a transparent glaze over them in red/orange/gold.

COol on Dr. Sketchy's too; I've posed a few times here in Dallas!