Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Ohio/Erie mermaids out there?

Not trying to double-post, but does someone here happen to have a gray-ish sedan with an "I <3 Mermaids" sticker on their rear bumper, left side? I saw one on my way home from work today and wondered if it might be someone here.

New Ohio Merman here, Purchased my first tail and have it in hand. Would love to attend some local swim events or possibly a few swim lessons as I have never actually swam with one, Currently on a workout plan and attending Aquatic Adventures to get myself trained in actually swimming.

What part of Ohio are you from Frazzy? I would love to have a swim partner. :3
    I never knew my place in the world,but
    I found it here as a Merkin to everyone here.
    FTM Trans Gender-fluid Male
    I am Mer Reiko...
    #mermreiko

Reiko,

I am located in the Hilliard/Dublin the North West from the center of Ohio. You can probably see my pin marker if you look at the Member Map feature on this site.

Ah I'm from Cleveland Ohio, maybe we can find a place to meet up in-between? I know its cold but there are so many indoor pools we can check out. I need to make a list of pools that are local to see which ones will allow us to bring our tails. I know the Glenville Recreation center is where I swim currently but I'm open for other places. ^__^
    I am Mer Reiko...
    #mermreiko

Reiko,

Your local swimming pool is about 2 1/2 hour from my location, Could make it a Day thing or a weekend thing for me Drive up for a day of swimming then head back home. Does your pool require a membership. Personally I am swimming at Aquatic Adventures building myself up at the gym and practice swimming before I work myself into my tail. It would be awesome to have someone to coach me when I attempt to swim with the tail for the first time at least. Would be awesome to find others for Mermaid/Mermen swims in the area.

Yes we can! The membership at this pool is free for residents and as you will be my guest you will also be free, and weekends sound perfect even. I don't mind the drive to your pool either, I know its far but that's why I thought about checking out pools in a area between where both of us live Frazzy. I would love to coach you, its something about learning the dolphin kick and working with that in the shallows until you feel comfortable about going into the deep. What sort of tail are you starting out with? Is it fabric, latex or silicone? Also have you ever swam with a monofin before?
    I am Mer Reiko...
    #mermreiko

Reiko:
    I've actually found very few pools 'friendly' in the area towards using what they call diving gear here. They also seem to over-chlorinate their pools...have you actually found some decent locations, I gather?

Well I found that its usually right after they clean the pools here that they over chlorinate them. I believe if you show up often and show that your a competent swimmer, that some places if there are not a lot of people will allow you to have dive gear. I know Glenville Rec is a good place to allow you to swim in a tail, the outdoor pool told me I could bring my tail as well if there not so many people out there. I haven't tried any of the other pools, but I'm willing to call them up and give them a try. ^__^
    I am Mer Reiko...
    #mermreiko

I think we can try and put together a pool listing here of tail friendly pools in Ohio and nearby states? This will help up in the long run I believe.
    I am Mer Reiko...
    #mermreiko

I agree that would help a lot. One thing I miss about swimming down at Dragoncon was they had a nice saline based pool. Those are few and far between. My city doesn't have its own rec center, so the neighboring lets us use theirs, but I have better things to do with the tune of $300+

A list of pools in the area would be great...we need to actually plan this meetup for Ohio mers already! ^^

Alright, I can set up for a meet up. The Rec center I attend is open weekdays from 1-245 and is mer friendly. Its called Glenville Rec. If your from the Cleveland Area, if not you will need to come in with a resident. I think a good afternoon swim would be nice for either Wednesday, Thursday or Friday? Once we settle on that, we can have our first meetup this month if you would like! I was also waiting until it warm up to sit on the beach of edge water park in my tail and maybe sing karaoke style. Get back with me if any of these days seem alright with everyone. April 15,16,17, 22,23,24 or 28,29,30. These are great days for swimming and picking a single day for a swim meet would be better. I'm always available everyday from 1-245 at the Glenville Recreation center give or a take a few days. :3
    I am Mer Reiko...
    #mermreiko

I'm in NE Ohio. I would love to have a meetup some time over the summer!

Glenville rec Center....that's about...E120th there abouts? I'm on mobile otherwise I'd look it up, lol

Glenville Recreation Center

680 E 113th St, Cleveland, OH 44108
    Phone (216) 664-2516
    Last edited by Mermaid Reiko; 07-17-2015 at 09:38 PM.
    I am Mer Reiko...
    #mermreiko

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Is that the swim venue or your personal contact info? Not a good idea to post that out in public if it's your info!

I'll go ahead and post the meetup that me and a few other mer's started in Ohio. Anyone here is welcome to join!

Its a get together of everyone who likes mermaiding, or have an interest in mermaiding to swim, share stories and have fun. If you would like to stay overnight, we will be camping there as well!

It takes place 8-22-2015 - 8-23-2015 at the Portage Quarry.

https://www.facebook.com/events/511505455670169/
    I am Mer Reiko...
    #mermreiko

New Cleveland area merman here. I suppose I have lurked long enough at this point and should probably say hello.

Senior Member Pod of The South Keiris's Avatar
    Add Keiris on Facebook
    Better late than never Blondotter! Welcome to the waters!