Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mods for the site

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod

Mods for the site

So I want to disclaim before I go into this idea, that I am not in anyway suggestion myself. I am too freaking busy. Haha.

I really feel based on the history of mernetwork, that it would be beneficial to have some mods in addition to the two admins Mal and Iona. I think given that the change over for the site is happening, now might be a good time to chat about it and have some ideas flowing.

Before we get started, I want to say my ideas and opinions in no way are intended to insult Mal and Iona, or anything crazy like that. You guys work your asses off and we know that

Okay, so I feel for several reasons we should have some mods in the next few months. Here are my reasons why:

1. While Iona and Mal have been awesome, it can be tricky to get ahold of them sometimes when issues arise on the site. Mal does school full time and Iona has other things that can sometimes keep her from the site. There have been instances where the forum has sort of been worked into a frenzy and we've had trouble getting ahold of people, or the Admin we got ahold of didn't have the ability to address the issue. (e.g. the hacking etc) Having a few other mods who have some basic abilities could go a long way to a) issue reports if something has happened to the site, b) lock or freeze a thread if drama has gotten out of control c) approve reviews if they've piled up d) post to the FB page updated to the community, (I do this a lot but I work a full time job and mermaid and health stuff so a lot of times my phone blows up anytime there's an error message on the forum)
    and e) back up the forum/posts if need be.

2. I think we can expect a surge of new members. There are several big things about to happen in the media etc that are going to continue putting merfolk in the spotlight. This time last year we got a lot of new members due to the TLC bit airing and with several well known musicians putting our mer-videos soon, with the two mermaid movies coming out, and the mer-tv shows and books climbing the charts, I think we can expect new members. I have seen on other forums there is one mod dedicated to welcoming new people. That mod would welcome each new member in their intro post, link them to the rules, link them to the FAq etc. I know Iona tries to PM people this when they first get on but a lot of times I think a two pronged approach works well. We've had some complaints recently about newbs joining and quasi spamming the forum with repeat posts simply because they don't know how to use it yet. I think we can expect that to increase without a plan.

3. More mods/admins = less bias more democracy and quicker resolutions. While Iona and Mal always strive to be unbiased it can often take a very long time because of their opposing schedules for Iona to brief Mal on an issue and determine a result for how to handle drama or something else. I think if there were other mods, they could converse with 1 of the admins and have a vote on what to do. I have a more detailed suggestion for this down below based on what I've seen on other sites.

4. Growth. Honestly. It's crazy we got this far for this long only having 2 people, and speaking from a behind the scenes perspective as someone running between the two admins when issues arise, even though the community may not see it all because so much hard work is spent to handle it, it's still only two people. No one person should get stuck with the brunt of the load and I know as Iona tends to be on the forum more she usually has to handle certain issues all by herself because of timing. While in other instances, she can't do a darn thing and has to wait for Mal. Some issues just wont wait for people to be ready. And as we grow I think we've seen a lot of examples of that in the last year.

So here's what I am suggesting:

I think there should be several types of mods. There should be an application process. The applications are PMed directly to Iona/Mal and not posted publicly. (I have suggestions for what should be on an application, but perhaps if the community thinks this is something we want to try then we can discuss that). Mod terms would be for a year, and then revisited. 3 month probation where they can be demoted back to normal member if an issue arises. You tailor the applications so you know you're getting people who can truly act unbiased

The mod duties I think should be:

IT Mod- there needs to be a back up person for when the site gets hacked or something goes wacky with the code, or the add ons bust or whatever. Now, we may not actually *get* someone like that right away. People always offer to help but when you get them in there very often they have little experience in what your dealing with. A clear application will help the current admins determine if anyone has experience with the forum software etc. I understand that this particular mod would need to be chosen with great care and their abilities monitored so they couldnt just get mad one day and delete the whole place. But I do really really feel we need someone. I have watched Iona nearly kill herself spending days trying to fix stuff in a panic over her head because Mal is busy with school and the forum is freaking out over no access.

Newb Mod- this person's job would be to do as I suggested earlier, they could manage those PMs with the newbs, give them the appropriate links, and give them gentle nudges if they mess up in their first few posts (instead of the whole community jumping down a newbs throat). I also know the admins keeps track of IPs of people who have been banned (there aren't many people banned from the site or suspended) and they could always double check IPs if something looks suspicious. They could also check to be sure no one is trying to pretend to be someone else (we had someone try to imitate mermaid Kylee for a while, and the email they used to register was one letter off from hers).

Clean Up Mod- a person's whose job is just to go around and clean up the boards! Move threads and posts to where they need to be. Redirect people to ontopic threads, delete any spam that may accidentally slip through, rename titles of threads to say "mature content" if needed etc.

Behaviour Mod- So this one is sorta tricky. As the admins may feel they're the only ones to handle it. But it might be easy to have one person who keeps track of any current drama/issue. Then they can present it to the group of admins/mods in order to make a decision on what should be done about it. This person could also hand out warnings in threads and redirects to the rules, but they wouldn't be able to just go in and ban people or delete stuff etc. They'd still have to bring it to the group. It's not necessary I think like the other ones, but again, when the two admins can't be reached or can't at that moment help it does make a big difference.

Add Mod- If we do decide to go the route of having an ad system in place for that stuff it's good to have just one person whose job is to oversee it. Just for sanity sake.

edit: Dottie inspired me: A recruitment mod: someone who posts all over the web and tracks mers down and invites them to contribute to the forum!

These are just *my* ideas of what I see could be used after using the site as obsessively as I do

I believe ALL mods should have the ability to freeze a thread/lock a thread temporarily if there's an issue until an admin can review it. I also think that the mods should have separate mod accounts and that there is no reason for the community to know exactly who was chosen, they can known them by their mod name. (this is to avoid threats, stalking, or messaging on personal accounts/FB when issues arise of an individual who is just doing their job). This is pretty standard on many forum sites. Finally, there should be an admin board that only admins/mods can see. That way when there are issues on the site they can post a thread there and the group can discuss it. If there is drama then the group can decide on the best course of action. It's also a good way to keep track of potential drama and have things backed up. I worked on another forum for about 5 years prior to joining mernetwork and when they put this system in place it worked wonders. It was a huge positive change.

The mods would only have the power that people feel they should have. No ability like I said, to just come in and wipe stuff out or ban people.

So in closing, I'd like this thread to be about discussion of the idea, and not "I want to be a mod" or "make this person a mod" or whatever.

Questions for you:
    1. Do you think mods would benefit the site? why/why not?
    2. What roles and responsibilities do you think mods could/should have?
    3. What would be your biggest concerns?

I really hope you'll consider my idea. I don't want us to brush it off because of one worry or two when we can create active plans to manage those concerns
    Last edited by AniaR; 03-18-2014 at 06:17 PM.

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    I agree one hundred percent with Raina on this topic. I'll be honest, I'm really surprised we don't already have extra mods for the site.
    And About us growing, I know we're going to have an influx of new members because it's already starting. I think every time I get on the site, I see a new member. One gal got here from my IG of all places. I gave her a nudge to show her how to work a couple features, but I think it would be great if there were a mod who could do that, or maybe even, an automated message in the new member's inbox would help a lot. You know, with pictures and explanations on how to get around the site, work certain features, and a link to the "Introduce yourself" section. I don't remember if there already is an auto message, but maybe a more in depth one if there is. Just an idea.
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

We could have a recruitment mod. Just someone who posts all over the web about mernetwork My last forum had that too, it was the person who handled ads for that site. I think that be a great idea

I think mods would be great.

If we do decide to go the way of them, I can ask my fiance to join the site and be a back-up (as in, second-string or "if all else fails" not the MAIN) IT mod for you guys in case of emergencies. He's in school full-time too, but since he's actually getting his degree in electrical engineering and programming, I feel like maybe cleaning hackers off the site might not be such a huge undertaking for him. (Of course, I'll double check with him first, but I don't think he'd be adverse to the occasional help)

I would think my main concern with mods would be the hard-to-find middle ground. Like, not wanting to be too lenient, but then accidentally becoming too strict because of it, or vice-versa. But that's likely not a really HUGE concern.

I really like the idea of a "Welcoming" mod as well. We have, lately, had a LOT of people who just join the site, and then immediately start posting up a storm and starting threads that have already been discussed, and all without searching first or even posting an introduction. It might help if, once joined, a mod could be in charge of private messaging the new member and giving them a brief run through of how to navigate and use the forum.
    آناهیتا پری دریایی
    Anahita, The Persian Mermaid
    Facebook - Shop - Tumblr - Storytime with Shahrzad - Blog

I would think my main concern with mods would be the hard-to-find middle ground. Like, not wanting to be too lenient, but then accidentally becoming too strict because of it, or vice-versa. But that's likely not a really HUGE concern.

Yes, I think the only way to combat that is to have a clear application so admins can determine best fit, and then have clear rules as to what the mods can and can't do within reason.

Perhaps the application should have a min post count/ min amount of time on the website too so we don't have someone who is brand new applying (unless under specific IT circumstances) or someone who maybe has 500 posts because they spam everything (10 year olds... lol) <-- Just an idea for application stuff

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    Yes, I think the only way to combat that is to have a clear application so admins can determine best fit, and then have clear rules as to what the mods can and can't do within reason.

Perhaps the application should have a min post count/ min amount of time on the website too so we don't have someone who is brand new applying (unless under specific IT circumstances) or someone who maybe has 500 posts because they spam everything (10 year olds... lol) <-- Just an idea for application stuff[/COLOR]
    That's an excellent thought. Not only will it narrow down the amount of members who can apply, but it'll help the admins decide if the application looks too good to be true.
    آناهیتا پری دریایی
    Anahita, The Persian Mermaid
    Facebook - Shop - Tumblr - Storytime with Shahrzad - Blog

I love these ideas.

I'd like to suggest that any new mod be given the task of merging and locking threads where needed. Everytime a new Mermaids the Body Found or Mako Mermaids thread is posted, for instance... or Splash, or what is your fave sea food, or etc etc, the mod can post where to find the thread which is already in place, and either lock the new one or merge it into the original, depending on the thread that was started- if it was a new question, yes it gets merged. If it was something already discussed or just a general thread or an OMG LOVE THIS, the mod can direct that poster to the original thread and lock the new one.

It would cut down on forum clutter... we don't need so many threads about the same subject, and it would encourage users to search before posting a new thread. And sometimes a search is done and we don't find the original, so merging can be helpful just for info purposes.

Mods could also have the abiity to move threads to the correct subforum when something is posted in the wrong section.

I also think that any new mod could be the welcome wagon for a new member, as well as do all the other tasks. This is a busy, large forum, but mods who have several duties tend to work out pretty well. But someone who only does that also sounds like it could work out well.

I'd like to suggest that any new mod be given the task of merging and locking threads where needed

Agreed. IMO that would go under the clean up mod's duties.

They're just my ideas based on what Ive seen work on other forums. but I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who feels we could use them. I honestly thought we'd have some when the forum first went up as mernetwork.

Wow, I totally missed your 'clean up' mod paragraph. Sorry! And I didn't even have a four year old in my ear when I read that.

I agree. I used to run a forum back in the day and I had a quite a few mods. We didn't break it down the same way you did though; each subforum had its own mod. That way one or two people were in charge of one section and could concentrate their time there. I don't know if that would work here, but it's a thought.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Great ideas Yeah I'm wanting to start applications soon. There's been a lot of wish wash on mods the past year, and the time has come to bite the bullet- I just can't do it all! I'll spend hours and hours just cleaning stuff up sometimes (moving, merging, pm'ing about signatures, changing usernames, replying to help PMs, ect), so cleaning mods would be amaaazing. I think I want 1 mod just for signature patrol cause holy crap. Or get an add on that will not let people link a photo unless it's within dimensions (I'd have to hire someone to make one though I think). I like the way you broke it up, that's a better plan than what I was thinking of, and helps clarify who has permissions to do what. We actually have a admin+mod section, no one can see it but admins (and eventually mods since there are non right now) which will be helpful. I was thinking 1-2 mods for everything, but I think making a lot of junior mods would be better. Many hands make light work right?

Keep ideas coming, I'm open to suggestions

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Personally, I prefer the idea of many 'little' mods over the idea of just one or two major mods. As Iona said, many hands makes light work.

As for particular kinds of mods, my favorite three are far and away the clean up mod, the IT mod, and the signature mod. They would be SO helpful, if you ask me.

By the way, Iona and Mal, you two are freaking awesome.
    ---------------------------------
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    Mernetwork Moderator

Thanks for being so open Iona. I was really anxious my comments might come off too crass and I didn't wanna hurt your feelings. I just know you go flat out and I see the toll it takes on you and sometimes I feel like you're in it alone because Mal gets busy.

I have been thinking about this a long time and I'm going to come clean and selfeshly say it, haha because I do get tired of getting pestered about mernet related things haha and Im not even an admin so I can imagine how hard it is for you. but people will literally send me an email, a message on my personal FB and on my mermaid FB and sometimes here or on youtube and I don't think they realize, I have no power!!! lol. Having some accounts people can access would be great. I'm not sure how hard that would be to set up on your end I know it might take a while. I just think with impending change it might be a good transition.

Not at all! It's been a looong time coming. Just as long as no one says, "You need to make me a mod" "Make me a mod" "I need to be a mod" ect, like some previous members have X_x I love volunteers (which you can apply obviously if you want to apply) but people demanding it over and over.. just..

Anyway, actually this is all very helpful

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    I totally agree with the idea of implementing mods. Like Iona said, its something we've wanted to do for a while. Now that we're doing some maintenance and updating I'm optimistic we can finally do it.

And don't worry, this isn't disrespectful to bring up at all. Feedback is totally appreciated.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mer-Crazy's Avatar

Visit Mer-Crazy's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    There are several big things about to happen in the media etc that are going to continue putting merfolk in the spotlight. This time last year we got a lot of new members due to the TLC bit airing and with several well known musicians putting our mer-videos soon, with the two mermaid movies coming out, and the mer-tv shows and books climbing the charts, I think we can expect new members.

Questions for you:
    1. Do you think mods would benefit the site? why/why not?
    2. What roles and responsibilities do you think mods could/should have?
    3. What would be your biggest concerns?
    Wait! What mermaid movies?!

As for the questions:
    1: I think they are, I've been on a few forum sites with mods (even was one myself and never doing that again) and I've never seen it be a bad thing as a whole.
    2: Whilst I think ones with dedicated jobs is a good idea (so they can get good at what they do) the idea of having X amount of mods per sub forum also seems practical as they can focus their attention better.
    3: My biggest issue comes from my personal experience that they'll pick people who don't know how to be mods (it happened to me) and no one really tells them how to do anything. So they're never really sure what to do. Though in this case, with the very specific roles you've laid out I don't think that will be a problem.

All in all it's a smashing idea. *claps for Raina*
    Last edited by Mer-Crazy; 03-19-2014 at 02:44 AM.

My only thing with sub forums are some are super active and some are dead.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Kelda's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Kelda on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Kelda's Youtube Channel
    I'm going to agree with what was said about merging topics, cause honestly half of the forum is unused/doubled threads that don't need to exist. It's little wonder people have trouble finding stuff when they first join!
    Additionally, it might be an idea to add more sub-forums to better organise topics. At the moment some of the forums are a bit mish-mashed, even with the sub-forums we already have. We need sub-sub-forums, haha :P

Member Pod of Texas mermaid_ashes's Avatar
    Add mermaid_ashes on Facebook
    I had no idea that there were no mods! Wow. Thats impressive, so much work! Anyways i wanted to say that on another forum im a part of they have a 'mod account' its just and account that has the sn of forum mod to protect people. So that way they can do mod work and post on threads and not use a personal account. Otherwise all good ideas!

Yes I suggested that ashes

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk