Thread: Blue Marlin Goes Postal on BP Pipeline, Shuts Down Oil Production

Blue Marlin Goes Postal on BP Pipeline, Shuts Down Oil Production

The attack cost the petroleum company $100 million last month.

Beware the fury of a sharp-snouted fish—especially if you’re a petroleum corporation responsible for one of the worst ecological fiascos in history.

A marlin attacked a BP-owned pipeline off the Angolan coast in February, the International Energy Agency reports. The billfish punctured a hose connecting the Greater Plutino facility to an oil tanker, prompting BP to declare force majeure (a legal move to deflect liability because of unforeseeable greater force) for five days.

Considering Plutino’s typical yield, Forbes estimates that the disruption prevented some 900,000 barrels of oil from going to market, which equates to a $100 million loss. The project will resume operations after four weeks of maintenance in March.

It’s not the first time that this type of incident–cum–political statement has happened: A swordfish stabbed another Angolan oil pipe in 2010, causing a three-day shipment delay. Similar piscine attacks impeding oil production have been reported over the years. Schools of fish have been known to convene around offshore oil platforms, in turn drawing predators such as sharks and marlins that can damage facility equipment.

Unwitting or not, embattled ocean dwellers can’t do it alone. After the 2010 Deepwater Horizon explosion in the Gulf of Mexico, BP recently regained rights to U.S. government contracts courtesy of a new agreement with the Environmental Protection Agency. The disaster killed 11 crew members and left more than 8,000 creatures injured or dead in the six months after the incident. Many marine species still suffer from the oil spill’s long-term effects four years later.

Senior Member Pod of The South Marlin's Avatar
    Add Marlin on Facebook
    WHOO! REPRESENT
    Even mermaids need tech support.

Marlin, you're the first I thought of when I read this. lol

Add Marlin on Facebook
    Granted, another oil spill would be terrible, and I hope this gets cleaned up before anything bad happens- but love to see bill-fish in the news

Yeah, it's definitely a 'mixed feelings' kind of story.

Add Marlin on Facebook
    I still refuse to buy ANYTHING from BP after the last spill- after this, I'm convinced they can't keep their oil outta the water.
    Last edited by Marlin; 03-19-2014 at 05:55 PM. Reason: re-worded for grammar

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    I love to see a marlin in the news too (unless it's being held up by some grinning douche), it's one of my fav fish.

I just wish people would stay where they belong (on land on the trees) instead of mucking up the sea with their idiotic schemes.