Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sinus Saver nose plugs

Sinus Saver nose plugs

I didn't see a thread for this (just someone mentioned it passing once) so I thought I'd post about it!
    Really cool product that Daphne posted about in the NC Merfest group is a nose plug product called Sinus Savers! It was created by a surfer who was sick and tired of all the sinus infections he got from surfing. It comes in two different sizes, and is made of clear silicone. You put it up your nostrils, and a small bar keeps everything solid and keeps water from going up your nose- all without the warped look or pain-in-the-fin of nose clips!

You can buy them directly from the website here: http://www.sinussaver.com/about-us.html
    Or on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Sinus-Saver-Wa.../dp/B00GAAJGBS

On Amazon, if you have Prime you can get free 2-day shipping! Be aware however, that if you want to return them, they charge a $6 return fee and $5.74 flat rate shipping (so $11.74). However, if you have sizing issues, contact them directly- they have great customer service!

To determine sizing, we suggest using a group of Q-Tips to measure the size (diameter) of your nostril. If you can fit 6 or more Q-Tips tips into the opening of your nostril, we suggest the larger size. For 5 and under, we suggest the medium.
    Be aware that there is some flaw in this sizing method. It's a creative way to measure (I can't really imagine how else you could size a nostril without taking a ruler to it in the mirror :P) but it's not incredibly accurate. I could fit 6 brand name q-tips in my nostril fine, and a large was too large (the base, or most narrow part, was larger than my nostril opening). A few others have had the same issue. So maybe 7 and up order a large, and 6 and below order a medium. Use your best judgement!

Sometimes the sizing is just a tad too large, as Daphne and another customer on Amazon noted, you can turn the cup part of the plug inside out and trim them to help them fit better. Just take a tiny bit off at a time until they fit. Also, note that they're silicone and sticky, so use a little bit of water to help them slide in.

Here's the size differences between the medium and the large (click to see larger image)

The very base (smallest part) of the large is 20mm long and 8mm wide.
    The medium has a base that is 15mm long and 5mm wide.

I know a lot of people are ordering these becuase we've wanted a product like this in the community for a long time! If anyone is brave enough to trim the bridging gap for lower visibility, please post your results!
    Last edited by Winged Mermaid; 03-25-2014 at 10:19 PM. Reason: added info and photos

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I got a M. Should be here soon. I'll post a review when I get it!

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    I bought size medium the other day and it arrived really quickly. I can try them out at the SoCal meetup on Saturday.

I was literally just wondering if something like this existed while wandering the pool isle of Target last night! XD Definitely willing to try these.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

I literally can't do bubble rings or backflips after 4 years of trying without water up my nose. LOL if it's fresh/salt water it doesnt bother me, but Im in chlorine a lot. so it burns

I hope they work for you! I hate the feeling of water going up my nose... I can feel the bubbles slinding and taste it in the back of my throat? I dunno, just not very pleasant.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Re: Sinus Saver nose plugs

I ordered some of these and hopefully they work, I can't stand when water goes up my nose!
    User formerly known as "MermaidLex"
    ~My heads underwater, but I'm breathing fine~

I can't wait to hear what you all think! I just got really excited about this little discovery! Thank you for posting this info!!
    Last edited by courtneymermaid; 03-21-2014 at 12:32 AM. Reason: I can't type...

Huh, I could use something like that! Ime the kind of mer who like doing flips and spins and turns in the water (yeah yeah show off haha) but I always have to blow a lot of air out of my nose, and it can look distracting on video. These could also help for blowing bubble rings on the bottom of the pool, if you haven't yet mastered how to keep the air in your nose
    she believed she could, so she did
    formerly known as Kalani

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Morticia Mermaid's Avatar
    Follow Morticia Mermaid On Twitter Add Morticia Mermaid on Facebook Add Morticia Mermaid on Google+
    Visit Morticia Mermaid's Youtube Channel
    I ordered one from the website, not amazon, and got it today. It's a snug fit (got the medium) and a bit big still, so can't wait until they come out with the women's sizes. I'm planning on testing it out at the mer meet up next week, also planning on doing a written and video review.
    I claim Pat 1001! ~Mermaid Morticia

Mermaid Tails and accessories available at ~ ♥Facebook- Siren's CallingGoogle+Website
    Morticia Mermaid FacebookGoogle+

Senior Member Euro Pod Mermaid Crystal Shimmer's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Crystal Shimmer On Twitter Add Mermaid Crystal Shimmer on Facebook
    Follow Mermaid Crystal Shimmer on Tumblr Follow Mermaid Crystal Shimmer on Flickr Visit Mermaid Crystal Shimmer's Youtube Channel
    Sadly, I can't order (not through Amazon or the website) because I live in the Netherlands. Send them an email though about international shipping. ^_^
    Can't wait for your review Morticia.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Unfortunately, I have a tiny nose/nostrils and a medium is too big! Maybe I will try to make a custom pair.

Marijke, maybe someone here can get them and mail them to you? PM me and we can make arrangements if you like.

Sinus Saver nose plugs

Yeah, these things make my nose look like a cow! They fit and work well but stretch my nose ever so slightly (they're just tight enough to get a good seal). I'll have to take a picture sometime. Functionally they're fine. Aesthetically they're iffy.

www.thalassamermaid.com
    Explore the S.E.A. with me!
    Facebook

I think it depends on the nose. Daphne used it and you couldn't even see it

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Euro Pod Mermaid Crystal Shimmer's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Crystal Shimmer On Twitter Add Mermaid Crystal Shimmer on Facebook
    Follow Mermaid Crystal Shimmer on Tumblr Follow Mermaid Crystal Shimmer on Flickr Visit Mermaid Crystal Shimmer's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    Unfortunately, I have a tiny nose/nostrils and a medium is too big! Maybe I will try to make a custom pair.

Marijke, maybe someone here can get them and mail them to you? PM me and we can make arrangements if you like.
    Just got a quick reply from the guys from Sinus Saver, they cán ship to my country, yay! (For only 2 dollars =D )

Woo woo for international shipping! And cheap too

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

Marijke please tell me if it works, I'll get ame a pair

I'm looking forward to see how these work! I find traditional nose plugs extremely uncomfortable and I don't like the way they look.

“Don't you ever let a soul in the world tell you that you can't be exactly who you are.”

Formerly known as Mermaid Eva

Sinus Saver nose plugs

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    I think it depends on the nose. Daphne used it and you couldn't even see it

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Maybe I got the wrong size...

www.thalassamermaid.com
    Explore the S.E.A. with me!
    Facebook

Possibly. I know Daphne trimmed (the cup part of) hers and that helped hers fit better, though she said she probably should have gone with a medium. Maybe if you trimmed it, it would help? I know I got the wrong size- my nose went from narrow to full on Miss Piggy :P Like I said in my post, the base, or most narrow part, was larger than my nostril opening. It was so much so that it folded over on itself (I lubed it to get it into my nose), making it non water tight undoubtedly. But I contacted them directly and they sent me out a medium for free! Awesome customer service.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona