Thread: Archive: "Swimming tops"

Archive: "Swimming tops"

This is an archived thread that was originally posted on mer.yuku.com, the predecessor to MerNetwork. For more information about mer.yuku.com, click here.

princesswizard

03/21/10 12:14:39
    Ladies, have you made your own swimming tops? I am going to try to make mine. I want what Hannah Fraser wears, which looks like cups that just stick on each breast with rhinestones on it...I wonder what material and adhesive is used......any ideas or other ideas?
    princessrina #1

03/21/10 13:07:24
    I have 2 plastic shell tops that I picked up at a discount store in the party section (usually they're with the Hawaiian Luau things) I've worn them to the pool before and they stayed on fairly well. I had to readjust the ties, the one in the middle connecting the 2 shells was way too big for my taste.

As for making your own, I guess you'd want to look into 'pasties'- usually they just cover your essential bits, but you can get bigger ones on Etsy (and other places I'm sure, but I can't think of any off the top of my head) Or perhaps you could cast your own latex ones, like in the mermaid episode of Charmed? That way they'll fit and look the way you want.

For adhesive, I'm tempted to say Spirit Gum. It's a theatrical adhesive that is usually used to glue prosthetics to skin (I have a bottle for my elf ears) It's not water based, and it requires a special remover (although I find you can usually just yank them off- not sure if you'd want to do that on your sensitive bits though!) It may be worth looking into. I can't think of any other glues, but I'm sure there's something else out there.

Hope this helped!
    Winged Mermaid #2

03/26/10 12:59:47
    I have a plastic shell top. It's currently tied with elastic but that needs to be changed as the under water current can make the shells stretch the elastic. So tip: Don't use elastic unless you can secure it well and not have it stretch too much on you. I've heard of people decorating strapless bras although I'm not sure how that handles in the water. Right now I'm experimenting with some net I got from Michael's a year or so ago trying to make a top that will be secure enough that you can swim around and not have to worry about.

I've heard that the pasties work well with spirit gum, although I've heard it takes tubes and tubes of the stuff for every use. Maybe not practical for frequent use but for special gigs or shoots it would look good.
    I looked into making a shell bra myself as everyone who has the real shell bras charge about $50, but drilling your own shells is tricky.. if you don't do it just right it breaks the whole thing. There's a special tool for it I believe, and I've also heard that a diamond tipped drill bit works wonders- but if you're not doing a lot of shells it wouldn't really be practical.

As for Hannah, I'm unsure of how she does that. I know that in videos and in some pictures you can see a fishing line or several connecting the shells she has on. Not sure how well any of her tops would work for bigger breasted girls - after all, she's gorgeous but is proportional to her body and being a model her body is very thin. Other pictures the lines are not there but it could be that the photographers edited them out after. Also it could be she sometimes uses adhesive during more professional shoots or when she is dry for most of the shoot.
    princessrina #3

03/27/10 11:02:21
    Since I'm here, I may as well keep talking!

Winged Mermaid, I would love to see your shell tops, if you decide to make any. Heck, if you found a way to cut costs (read: make less profit than other places) you could sell them online, and I'm sure you'd get a fair amount of business.

I'm personally interested in a starfish-shaped top, but I have no idea where to start. REAL starfish are out of the question. I know that FoxMoon -had- a starfish top at one point but it seems you can't currently order it. It's also out of my price range. Does anyone have any ideas about a do-it-yourself 'starfish-substitute'?
    princesswizard #4

04/02/10 07:14:13
    Thanks fellow mer-ladies! I will keep you abreast of my progress and post pics! If I see any starfish I will let you know too!
    malinghi #5

04/02/10 11:39:54

I'm pretty sure you can make fake starfish that are flexible out of rubber or silicone, probably though molding. I don't really know much about molding, but this might make a good practice project for anyone learning to work with silicone. Here's a company that makes kits for people interested in molding with silicone:
    http://www.smooth-on.com/
    green52 #6

04/11/10 14:52:30
    You know how they make stick-on type bras that give women support in strapless dresses? Could something like that be cut into a shape and then painted or something? Just brainstorming.
    Winged Mermaid #7

04/15/10 19:47:47
    I've owned such a bra- the original brand is actually Nubra, which I invested the money in. They're good for support in strapless dresses and whatnot where you have material to hold it on, but the adhesive is not strong enough to wear alone, I'm afraid. You also have to be careful in taking care of the adhesive by cleaning your skin before you wear it and cleaning the actual bra every time after wear with mild hand soap and then air drying it- therefore I have a feeling that the chemicals in a pool would ruin the adhesive. :/ Good idea in theory though!

green52 wrote:

You know how they make stick-on type bras that give women support in strapless dresses? Could something like that be cut into a shape and then painted or something? Just brainstorming.
    bluemermaid #8

04/20/10 08:36:35
    I have a real shell top that Mike VanDaal made me. I also use regular swim suit tops, although I think I need to work on customizing them a bit more. I also have an ariel top that Mike made me out of latex.
    GundamWarrior #9

04/20/10 09:35:34
    I had a friend of mine commission a merman vest for me that is swimmable but saddly I have not had the chance to test it out due to the factor my parents misplaced my tails during their recent move back to the US.

Winged Mermaid #10

04/20/10 11:07:50
    Wow- that looks awesome! Let us know if it works out, and pictures if/when you can, please!

As for the real starfish, if anyone is still interested in finding some, they sell real starfish of several sizes at Michaels, along with big shells that can be used for tops. Fairly cheap too!

GundamWarrior wrote:

I had a friend of mine commission a merman vest for me that is swimmable but saddly I have not had the chance to test it out due to the factor my parents misplaced my tails during their recent move back to the US.

Last edited by Spindrift; 07-12-2011 at 09:16 AM.
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

Marla Shell top so far... #11

04/26/10 19:13:46

I made my own shell top like some of the ones above. I spray painted them to match my tail which came out quite well. I do want to experiment with silicone tho for a moldable top, something like what mertailor has on his site...

Selene #12

05/21/10 21:08:13
    green52 wrote:
    It would depend on the brand re: cutting, as there is a seal overtop of some. The consensus among my friends and I (All with varying bust sizes) is that they only did something for those with a small chest. Anyone that was a B and above didn't like them as there was no support given. We all tried a couple different brands too. Would have been nice.
    malinghi wrote:
    I'm pretty sure you can make fake starfish that are flexible out of rubber or silicone, probably though molding. I don't really know much about molding, but this might make a good practice project for anyone learning to work with silicone. Here's a company that makes kits for people interested in molding with silicone:
    http://www.smooth-on.com/
    You can indeed, I'm in the process, well it's on hold actually due to work, of making my own, but I would suggest that people sculpt their own starfish instead of making a mould off the real thing. Starfish are tricky with all their little undercuts and nodules.

I firmly back Smooth On, from what I've seen (I've never purchased a small kit, but use the full size products), they sell wonderful little kits. So huge thumbs up for them!

malinghi #13

05/26/10 10:42:58
    That vest looks awesome. How long did it take your friend to make it?

Capt Nemo #14

06/13/10 11:25:20
    Selene wrote:
    You can indeed, I'm in the process, well it's on hold actually due to work, of making my own, but I would suggest that people sculpt their own starfish instead of making a mould off the real thing. Starfish are tricky with all their little undercuts and nodules.

I have a few dried starfish that I might be able to mold from. I'll see if I have a useable one.

Capt Nemo #15

06/15/10 15:29:10

The ones I have are around 4" diameter, but won't give enough coverage for large nipples. Would work great for merkids.

GundamWarrior #16

06/30/10 13:44:47
    malinghi wrote:
    That vest looks awesome. How long did it take your friend to make it?
    Sorry for not answering. Your comment got lost in the shuffle. The vest took my friend about 2 to 3 weeks between normal life and such. It fits great but my tails still remain lost in the basement. so I have not had swimming experience with it.

raina #17

08/31/10 18:45:46
    This is my dry top made by Lexandrian of this site!

She did a fantastic job and matched it to my tail perfectly. I use it for dry photoshoots.

MaskedNightingale #18

11/16/10 12:26:27
    Love your top its adorable.

MermaidLindsey #19

11/24/10 17:42:19
    I think it would be cool if someone could make a top that has two cups that go on each breast, and make it look like it's melting into the skin. Then add a few stray scales here and there around the cup. That would be awesome!

gypsymer #20

12/07/10 22:09:20

For my patchwork tail I think I'm going to just find a bathing suit top and modify it. I'll be shopping for one tomorrow. We'll see what I find.

I love the strapless and backless look but that's not safe for swimming and I plan on swimming loads. I do want a purely dry top at some point.

SakurakoMcGinty #21

12/07/10 22:28:54
    i made my mermaid top in November and I am working on another one as well. i have the pictures in my album if anyone would like to see.

MermaidCalliope #22

12/07/10 23:13:04
    Lawd, girl, welcome to the busty club.

SakurakoMcGinty HA! #23

12/08/10 10:59:32
    i know lol!i thought i was the only one of the busty type x.x

jhammett98 #24

12/08/10 11:55:27
    nope.. theres several of us...
    just got fitted for mynew size...

36E

holy crap!

and technically thats down from 38DD

SakurakoMcGinty #25

12/08/10 13:11:17
    wow my highest was 36DD i changed my size to 40D for comfort x.X it's hard when your bust is huge

jhammett98 #26

12/08/10 14:45:59
    well my ribcage size got smaller but the girls themselves didnt.. so Im still a DD but when you go down a band size things get screwy!

Besides ... as they say... real women have curves and boy do we have them LOL!

MermaidCalliope #27

12/08/10 16:12:37
    34F here. It's a chore.

jhammett98 #28

12/08/10 18:38:10
    once upon a time long long ago when i was 19 i used to be a teeny tiny 34b.. then i got fat and then i got thin-ish again but the girls never did shrink again.

Last Edited By: jhammett98 12/09/10 06:12:22. Edited 1 time.
    SakurakoMcGinty #29

12/08/10 21:16:57
    LOL haha i think that story sounds familiar

jhammett98 #30

12/09/10 06:12:42

yes..i can be funny sometimes

MermaidRaven #31

12/09/10 09:50:45

I feel like I have NO boobs next to you ladies lol

jhammett98 #32

12/09/10 16:50:14
    trade you!

Lexandrian #33

01/04/11 04:41:17
    I need some top ideas, I am working on a costume tail but i need to make a top. I don't want to make a bra top because i have body issues but I don't want to wear an undershirt. Anyone have any mer top ideas other then bra's?

SeaSparkles #34

01/04/11 05:22:07
    How about a tankini type of top? Or are you uncomfortable with showing any skin at all?

SeaSparkles #35

01/04/11 05:36:51

@Lexandrian - you could aim for something like this except having it cover a little more and in a different artistic direction.

Lexandrian #36

01/04/11 06:24:33
    I am comfortable with showing some skin i just want something that covers most of my chest, i like the tankini idea so far

nyorio #37

01/13/11 17:54:10
    How would you make I top like hannah's? That's what I want to know. I'm making a bluish silver tail and I top like hannah's would look beautiful! But what kind of material would you use? I'm just worried if you used latex, or swim suit material, it would stretch to much where the holes are and be revealing...

jhammett98 #38

01/14/11 07:05:58
    i think if you put the top on and cut the holes that way.. then its already stretched out and the holes will be perfect...

Jewel de Lune #39

01/14/11 07:20:47
    This is off topic a little, but for the ones that are like backless and strapless...(does that make sense?) have you considered using spirit gum?

SeaSparkles #40

01/14/11 17:10:59

I think spirit gum was discussed elsewhere but I do know it has been mentioned.

Jewel de Lune #41

01/14/11 22:24:36

Ah just wondering. I was reading the earlier parts and I don't know if I didn't see it or if it's hidden in another forum. I've never used it but I've seen it used and it should work really well so I thought to mention it

Winged Mermaid #42

01/15/11 02:42:33
    Spirit gum use was talked about in the Bra based tops topic, if you're curious.

Jewel de Lune #43

01/15/11 06:33:36
    Ah okay, thanks for the link