Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Liquid Neoprene

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Kelphinea_Kelp's Avatar
    Add Kelphinea_Kelp on Facebook

Lightbulb Liquid Neoprene

I was just wondering has anyone thought of using or looking into liquid neoprene to make tails?
    Maybe buying neoprene material and just layering it with more, by adding scales ALSO made from liquid neoprene. In the same way many add sheets of scales made from molds with other materials.

Don't think so. I've never seen it mentioned.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Liquid Neoprene, a latex based product which is fantastic for casting, very light and hard wearing and can be drilled and sanded and painted. Comes ready to pour into a clean plaster mould and is white in colour, drying to a ‘natural’ flesh colour (black version available also)
    Allow to stand for 1 to 5 hours depending on the thickness of cast you require, then the slurry or slip is poured out of the plaster mold. This excess is reusable. The lining or casting that builds up on the walls of the plaster mould is allowed to dry overnight then removed for further drying, 2 to 3 days preferably before sanding and painting.
    How to Use
    1. Pour the liquid latex casting compound into CLEAN, DRY, PLASTER MOLD, The Liquid Neoprene requires no on site compounding. Just stir lightly, and start to use. Allow to set in the mould approximately 1 to 5 hours for desired build-up. The liquid level may drop due to absorption. This is normal, just top it off with additional casting compound if necessary.
    2. After the allotted time, pour off the casting compound. This can be poured back into the container and can be used again (provided it has not been contaminated). Allow for the mould to drain and dry overnight, or about 12 to 14 hours.
    3. When the Neoprene is dry, it can be removed from the mould. This must be done carefully. Allow the casting to stand for 4 to 6 days for curing. Then it is ready to be sanded, drilled, painted.
    NOTE: should be stored at room temperature. This product MUST NOT be allowed to freeze.

it works just like latex but is odorless and it is not harsh like other products THO it is still advised to take the same precautions when using it.. gloves and breathing mask everyone!!! LOL
    but yeah... we rave so much about silicon and latex why not just add more neoprene!
    Apparently LIQUID NEOPRENE has been used to make a LOT of props and builds... some that might surprise you!
    you can do all the same stuff with it that you would do with latex tails or silicon tails i would think.. i mean it would just be an entire realistic working mer tail with just layers of LIQUID NEOPRENE. That sounds a LOT safer the ALEX plus! LMAO
    idk so far im seeing LOTS of good things about the material THOUGH it IS rather pricey! But it might be worth it! Who knows??!!

http://www.mermibridg.com/category/neoprene/

This site sells it from the UK I belive. I think this stuff is worth looking into! Could be the next big thing if no one is using it currently! *shrugs*

And i believe i read on another site that if you order the LIQUID NEOPRENE from this sight you can order it in different strengths of flexibility!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod MerAnthony's Avatar
    Add MerAnthony on Facebook
    I have heard of liquid neoprene before. It is mainly used for rubber roofs for sealing seams, but as for a tail would be interesting to see.
    Be Happy Swim Free

Yeah i never heard about it. I can't wait

im suprised its not worked with then... i mean if it's all neoprene! *shrugs* LOL

I personally love the tails made for the smart car commercial vid and i hope to create something similar in appearance.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BolNAllOpt8

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I found this on a blog...

"One word of caution: if you live in a cold climate, don't attempt to have neoprene delivered to you in the winter. If it freezes, it's wrecked, and Mydrin won't accept responsibility for the failure."

Or maybe not good for swimmable mermaid tails.

This blog, he makes puppet doll heads,
    http://www.sagecraft.com/puppetry/building/neoprene.html It talks a little bit about how the neoprene cures.

So I'm assuming its not the same type of neoprene or latex that can be swum in. Its the type of rubber that is used for doll parts, it might be very heavy to swim in and not flexible.

but then that brings the question "What are the types of Neoprene?"

I think its better to use what everyone is already using.

That way, if its botched, you haven't wasted a ton of money, nor are you stuck with a gallon of stuff you can't use, except to fix the roof.

from what im seeing on wiki Neoprene is all Neoprene. And it reads that when neoprene is used for diving suits its less flexible anyway so... idk.

I did see what you meant about the curing.
    (As time passes, the mold will absorb water out of the liquid neoprene, eventually leaving a "skin" wich cures to a hard plastic-like material.)

You go girl! I love seeing other people innovate! But of course look into this a lot incase it isn't the best .... I would hate to see you waste your time, maybe do a test swach and hold it under water and stretch it a bit until you get a good reading on it but you have my full emotional support in this project!
    ~Lazy cuddle fish~

Actually the thing is though guys I found a website that offers the liquid neoprene in other forms of (hard and soft).
    They have options such as rigid, flexible and superflexible liquid neoprene! So it does come in other various degrees of stiffness.

There are different types of neoprene, just as there are different types of cars.

The mermaid tails you read about here is the same neoprene as wetsuit material.

Basically, you want the fabric type of neoprene, not the type that dries to a hard shell. That would prob sink you instead.

Fabric neoprene helps keep the body warm, can the liquid one do that? Esp good if you're swimming in a place where the water is always cold.

You can try though. Nothing wrong with that.

Thank you Mermiah!! only my second day in the tank and already this fish is turning it out LMAO!! BLOOP BLOOP!!
    ROFL!! But its all good the idea is to spend only a few dollars and atempt to try this mer tail build in doll size.. Once i know that BARBIE can rock it.... THEN! I can make it life sized LOL So i would only get enough products to cover the doll. <3

Good luck with it. It does sound interesting!

Maybe you'll be the first one that make a liquid neoprene tail!