Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JMB FX Studio

JMB FX Studio

Ok so this guy made tails for H2O, Aquamarine, and Fishtales. His tails seem to be extended by a rod of somesort. Has anyone used one of his tails for swimming? From his vids on youtube it doesnt look easy, so I'm wondering if ocean swimming is even possible with one of those. Does anyone have any ideas on this? Normally I would email his studio but I don't want to bother him yet.

My assumption is that, yes, you can swim in the ocean with them. The reason I think so is because the extended tail structure appears to be very similar in concept to the DOL-fin Orca, which is designed to be used for freediving.
    آناهیتا پری دریایی
    Anahita, The Persian Mermaid
    Facebook - Shop - Tumblr - Storytime with Shahrzad - Blog

It's harder to swim in one, which is why the H2O girls never actually swam in open water with them- they always filmed at aquariums. Only the people you see filmed, and Hannah once, has swam in the JMB FX tails. They're priced at $20,000. Dozens have wanted to make extended tails, but no one has succeed in doing so with a decent amount of propulsion.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

I think I'm gonna email him about pricings in December, he incorporated lights into a tail and that's one thing I'm looking for.

20,000$$$???!!! Couldnt find a fainting one...

Yup. And I'm fairly certian he only makes the for movie/film/tv projects and doesn't sell to the masses.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

Quote Originally Posted by Winged Mermaid View Post
    They're priced at $20,000.
    Holy sonofa...... Wowza. That's almost as much as a tank....
    آناهیتا پری دریایی
    Anahita, The Persian Mermaid
    Facebook - Shop - Tumblr - Storytime with Shahrzad - Blog

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Just my opinion, but isn't that kind of overkill? I don't see the fascination with the extended tails lately. I've had some ideas on how to engineer one that would be aesthetically pleasing and functional for open water swimming, but can't justify it or its expense right now.

Yeah, it's a lot but it's movie quality and the scales are hand laid (SO much work in that). That's why they're so much. :P

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    He's on deviant art I chatted with him a few years ago

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    He's on deviant art I chatted with him a few years ago

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Did that go well?

Just my opinion, but isn't that kind of overkill? I don't see the fascination with the extended tails lately. I've had some ideas on how to engineer one that would be aesthetically pleasing and functional for open water swimming, but can't justify it or its expense right now.

I agree. and honestly I dont like them long. they look like snake tails to me and disproportionated I've never liked the long ones. lol

Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    I don't see the fascination with the extended tails lately.
    It's on an approximately six-month cycle, and has been since Mer.Yuku :P

Quote Originally Posted by OrcaMatt View Post
    It's on an approximately six-month cycle, and has been since Mer.Yuku :P

This is so true!! XD

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

Senior Member Pod of Cali Prince Calypso's Avatar
    HOnestl I love the look of the extended tails
    Now when H2O first came out i thought they looked really weird and worm like but after wtaching a few episodes and seing how they looked in the water they started to grow on me but the turning point was watching Aquamarine and then Fishtales
    I fell in love!
    then Pirates of the Caribbean came out and though the tails were CGI they were longer as well and to me it came the idea of the tail looking more realistic in a way, but thast just me.

As for JBM FX Studies I've been stalking him for ages as far as tail creation goes and Honestly if i ever got the money i would pay top dollar for one of his tails
    For real i would sleep with the dude for one of those tails
    Little Sailor, Little fool, your better heed the golden rule
    do unto other just as you, would like to to have them do to you
    you think you can just walk away,but no, it doesn't work that way
    see once your mine, your'll always be
    I never give anything for free...

That's how I feel too. I don't hate them, but they are more snake like than fish like to me.
    [/COLOR]

I agree. and honestly I dont like them long. they look like snake tails to me and disproportionated I've never liked the long ones. lol

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Kelphinea_Kelp's Avatar
    Add Kelphinea_Kelp on Facebook
    I don't particularly care for them myself EITHER but its all in the SHAPE they use for the tail... if you notice the tails for Mako and H2o are not only disproportionately long they are very thick! Also on the film fish tails the tail seemed actually LONGER then the ones on h2o! The only one that looked ANYTHING like a fish rather then a snake and had great propotrions was the tail from aqua marine.. they even have a vid of the tail being used in a full on swim and its movments THO snake like actually resemble the movments of a FISH more so then a snake. I think personally aquamarine was the only extended tail to pull off fish rather then an ugly snake. Besides mermaids are not half snake anyway *shudders* That would be a Naga LMAO *nods all wise and sage like*

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Rocky Mountain Pod
    Pod of The South
    Add H-SAMA on Facebook
    Visit H-SAMA's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Winged Mermaid View Post
    It's harder to swim in one, which is why the H2O girls never actually swam in open water with them- they always filmed at aquariums. Only the people you see filmed, and Hannah once, has swam in the JMB FX tails. They're priced at $20,000. Dozens have wanted to make extended tails, but no one has succeed in doing so with a decent amount of propulsion.
    Do you know where to find a picture / vid with Hanna in the Tail?

She swam in the fishtails tail she has pics up on her fbook

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Rocky Mountain Pod
    Pod of The South
    Add H-SAMA on Facebook
    Visit H-SAMA's Youtube Channel
    She swam in the fishtails tail she has pics up on her fbook
    I know, I meant the JMB FX tails *ALBUM I don't know how the tail looks like.
    Last edited by H-SAMA; 08-14-2014 at 02:21 PM. Reason: missed the final part