Page 37 of 41 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738394041 LastLast

Thread: The MerNation Thread

Senior Member Pod of the Southwest Vrindavana Starfish's Avatar
    Follow Vrindavana Starfish On Twitter Add Vrindavana Starfish on Facebook
    Follow Vrindavana Starfish on Tumblr Visit Vrindavana Starfish's Youtube Channel
    Wow it's beautiful! Their color blending has gotten so much better! I love seeing how the constantly push to improve their already awesome work!

Senior Member Pod of Cali introverting's Avatar
    Add introverting on Facebook
    Follow introverting on Tumblr Visit introverting's Youtube Channel
    I AM IN LOVE with that colorful tail! And the fluke! The colors are blended so well! Y'all peeps at Mernation gotta stop me from wanting more tails from you guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OH MY LORD I'VE BEEN SLAIN!!! 😍😍😍😍😍😍
    formerly known as Julianne.

Member Pod of The South Coral Corey's Avatar
    Add Coral Corey on Facebook
    New video of the fluke in water is up! It looks gorgeous in motion!

When MerNation first came about I wasn't the biggest fan of their first fluke (the circular ish one. Cant remember the name of it.) but the new fluke sculpts they've been releasing are incredible! The most recent fluke is GORGEOUS! And that rainbow/Lisa frank color scheme?

Sent from my iPhone
    Ohio's First Mermaid.
    Owner of The Ohio Mermaids
    Instagram: @KateyMermaid
    Katey Mermaid on Facebook
    Katey Mermaid Website
    Ohio Mermaids Website

Quote Originally Posted by KateyMermaid View Post
    When MerNation first came about I wasn't the biggest fan of their first fluke (the circular ish one. Cant remember the name of it.) but the new fluke sculpts they've been releasing are incredible! The most recent fluke is GORGEOUS! And that rainbow/Lisa frank color scheme?

Sent from my iPhone
    I agree with this 100%. The MerNatiom classic fluke (the round one is my favorite). But I still love the others especially the Khalessi and the new Athena one, the give the tail such an etherreal fantasy look.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Hmmmm... but what does this seem to be? Filigree accents to a top? DDD I've daydreamed of ordering another top from them, specifically one sculpted like the ones from Mako/h2o.

I love the tips from Mako/H2O too. That would be awesome if you got one like that.
    Mermaids - not so graceful on land...
    Luna Dreamtide
    (Formerly Leina)

Just saw this on Instagram and had to share...

https://instagram.com/p/BHkh37TDKeg/

❤️

What could this possibly be? My theory is a Silicone Lite tail.

By silicone lite, do you mean like a neoprene/silicone option?
    Ohio's First Mermaid.
    Owner of The Ohio Mermaids
    Instagram: @KateyMermaid
    Katey Mermaid on Facebook
    Katey Mermaid Website
    Ohio Mermaids Website

Quote Originally Posted by Vrindavana Starfish View Post
    I'd asked them about that I think a year ago when it first came up as a thing. It seemed like a really great idea, but the cost was about the same as a full silicone - maybe a little less - if I remember correctly.

Just found the email. Here are some of the questions I asked and their answers at the time (Dec 2014)

1) What kind of fabric do you use? Is it neoprene or something less buoyant? We just use a thick spandex, so it's definitely not buoyant. It's actually a little bit negative once it gets wet, just like regular bathing suit fabric. We also cover the mono fin in a thick felt like fabric, our "flipper slipper" (haha) which softens the edges of the foot pockets and harsh edges of the mono fin and makes the fluke thicker overall.

2) What is the mono-fin made of? Is it able to fold into the bag in the picture? If so, does it retain its shape or will it bend over time. Also, would it have any kind of propulsion? The mono fin is made of Lexan, a type of polycarbonate. It's what we make our fabric tail mono fins from. It does roll up on it self and fit into a bag. We haven't had any issues with it losing shape, nor have any of our fabric tail customers mentioned that it has warped. It can't be folded totally flat, but it is much more portable than a regular silicone fluke. I've personally used this tail quite a few times and found it has GREAT propulsion actually. It does feel a little different than the silicone fluke, but I would say very comparable to the finis wave or rapid.

3) If the mono fin is removable, would there be different options for that? I would like to be able to wear this in the ocean, and would need at least some power, although I don't expect to put a competitor on this fin. Yes it is removable, and we are thinking of offering different shapes. The fabric "shell" is permanently attached to the silicone body, but the inner mono fin is removable. The overall shape would have to be pretty simple, as we hand cut them out and need the fabric to fit over it like a sleeve (so it can't have a ton of little projections and sharp angles), but if you had a fluke design idea we would love to see it!

4) What would be the cost of custom fins and colors? My tail design has hip, ankle, and double dorsal fins, and lots of gradients. The body of the tail is able to be fully customized, just like our other silicone tails. This is why we are pretty sure we will be charging the same as other tails, $2500. The fluke actually takes more time and materials to make than a regular silicone fluke, so the cost and time for us is the same. With that in mind, custom colors/gradients are included in the price. Additional sets of fins are $100 and a dorsal is $250. If you send us a design idea we can give you an accurate quote for all the additional fins I'm sure it will be beautiful!

Their turnaround time from when I sent the email with my questions was practically instant - they are on top of their customer service! So if you send them an email, you'll hear back quickly.
    Here it is Katey!

Quote Originally Posted by KateyMermaid View Post
    By silicone lite, do you mean like a neoprene/silicone option?
    Not sure if my post got to you, but according the past posts on this thread, it would be a thick spandex and silicone.

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid Saoirse's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Saoirse on Facebook
    Follow Mermaid Saoirse on Tumblr
    Returning from lurking in the coralwork to say that about a week ago I ordered my scale bra as an early gift while I save up for my tail.

I decided rather than my first concept for a top to have them re-create my handmade bra no matter the price tag. I have been getting progress photos and they're absolutely blowing me out of the water!

Here's my concept art I sent them:
    Name:  mernation scale top.png
Views: 640
Size:  145.3 KB

I'll be doing an unboxing video when it finally arrives at my door. I'm just so overwhelmed because this is such a surreal experience. I can't wait to post photos here when it's finally done <3
    Saoirse (Seer-sha) means "freedom" in Gaelic, which is what I feel below the surface. I'm a freshwater mermaid.
    Empress of the Strid Empire Pod

Has anyone purchased a MerNation tail from overseas? I'm an Australian mer, and I love their stuff but am concerned about how the best way to get it made would be. Shipping a duct tape mold over would be expensive and could possibly be damaged, thus ruining the fit. But sending myself over there for the time isn't the most feasible option either.

Any ideas? Any one had an experience buying internationally?
    ~Mermaid Salacia~
    Sea Witch of South Australia
    https://www.facebook.com/themermaidsalacia/
    mermaidsalacia.weebly.com/

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    A packing tape dummy travels flat just fine, and is very lightweight, so it wouldn't be much to mail it. Don't use duck tape, it's a sticky mess. I have my clients make cling film and clear packing tape mannequins.

My concern would be how much it's going to cost to ship you the finished tail!

That's good to know about the tape dummys! Glad they're not problematic.

Unfortunately shipping silicone tails to Australia is pricey, no matter where it comes from. It's something us aussie mers have to auto add to our tail cost. There is no way around it sadly.
    ~Mermaid Salacia~

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mer-Crazy's Avatar

Visit Mer-Crazy's Youtube Channel
    My friend Ally has a mernation tail I could ask her for you if you'd like

That being said with my most recent Merbella tail I sent over a dummy and it only cost me like $20-30 and was fine

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Crazy View Post
    My friend Ally has a mernation tail I could ask her for you if you'd like

That being said with my most recent Merbella tail I sent over a dummy and it only cost me like $20-30 and was fine
    Oh thank Neptune. I was thinking it was going to be more in the $200 - $300 to ship the dummy. How long has Ally had hers and does she love it? Hahah
    ~Mermaid Salacia~

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mer-Crazy's Avatar

Visit Mer-Crazy's Youtube Channel
    Nah you send just the tape after you've cut it off and they fix it all up for you. I know she's had it for less than a year but she loves it, it super sturdy and holds up to a lot of roughness.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk