Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: The MerNation Thread

I'm with AmbrGlows here, in that I don't know I could narrow my idea down to just one colour - at minimum I'd want the gradient effect lots of tails have where they're darker on the sides and lighter in the middle. I'm not sure the lack of reinforcement would be a big reason to dismiss these tails for me, as I'd mostly want it for recreational purposes rather than performing daily - it's the lack of being able to make it look more realistic with the two-tone colour that's kinda putting me off. If I could see more pics, I'd be very interested, considering how beautiful Mernation's tails look!

I have seen many mermaids who have tails with one color so I figured they would like this. Some don't care to have designs and such. Also the reinforcement would be like what other tail makers already do for the higher price they charge. I don't think other makers do near as much extra silicone in sensitive areas like what mernation does because in unboxing videos and pictures I can tell mernation added a lot and make it very tough and it doesn't look like that at all in other tail makers video unboxings and pictures and I already can tell that other makers have thinner silicone throughout the whole tail itself and thinner extra fins. That's why I went for mernation because in videos and pictures I could tell the overall tail and extra fins are thicker than other makers tails and their price is more reasonable than other makers. I want thicker silicone because one it gives support and less likely to rip and second it hides your leg shape better and third kids can't feel your legs or feet as much.
    Live your dreams and don't let anyone snatch it away from you!
    Check out my Facebook Page, Instagram, and YouTube!
    https://www.facebook.com/msvfanpage
    http://instagram.com/mermaid_seavixen/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MsSeaMaiden1

As we just started offering this single color paint job we only have the one picture so far. But they'll look just like our other tails Just one color haha! We are happy to discuss adding a slight gradient effect for an additional charge, however the main reason for the discounted price is the dramatic reduction in painting time. The paint is still airbrushed (not just embedded) and will still have a very shimmery look though. Feel free to email us your designs and we will happily quote you a price!

Senior Member Pod of Cali Meronica's Avatar
    Add Meronica on Facebook
    Well done, Mernation! I love this idea and will be definitely keeping you guys mind once I'm ready for my second tail. I'd most likely get the single color or a gradient effect and then add more color myself.

I plan on getting another tail in the future, it will definitely be a mernation tail!!

~Mermaid Sirenia~
    Formerly known as Savannah Staver

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid Saoirse's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Saoirse on Facebook
    Follow Mermaid Saoirse on Tumblr
    After hearing about Mernation's new offer, I'm proud to announce that I have started saving up to purchase a single color tail! This is a huge leap for me considering I've never made such a large purchase before, but I'm looking forward to it. In the meantime, I already have my money saved up to begin purchasing supplies for my neoprene and sequin tail! (This is about $90, considering my Mertender is purchasing my sequins for me as a gift. I already have the fin I plan to use for it.)
    Saoirse (Seer-sha) means "freedom" in Gaelic, which is what I feel below the surface. I'm a freshwater mermaid.
    Empress of the Strid Empire Pod

I was iffy on Mernation tails- I really like their shape, but the scales are really plain compared to, say, Merbella or Finfolk. But I really like their new shell patterned ones!

Dang it, now I've got another tail maker in the running for when I'm ready to buy a silicone tail!

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Pearl View Post
    I was iffy on Mernation tails- I really like their shape, but the scales are really plain compared to, say, Merbella or Finfolk. But I really like their new shell patterned ones!

Dang it, now I've got another tail maker in the running for when I'm ready to buy a silicone tail!
    I went for them because you get more for the price. If I went with finfolk it would cost me over $4000 for the same tail I'm getting for $3120 from Mernation. I can get a scale top too for $160 because the tail was under budget by so much. I only planned to pay $3500 at most and I'm still way under budget even with the top added which the total is $3280. Finfolks prices are going up too since they are in Hawaii now. As if $4000 was cheap to begin with..... Mernation makes their tails thicker too for more strength and durability. Look at pictures and unboxing videos where people show you up close and handle a merbella and finfolk tail and compare the thickness of the entire tail to a mernation tail. I've seen merbella extra fins get ripped off but mernation fins are stronger and can take abuse because I know a mer who has hers yanked and pulled but it never rips. If you don't care about the thickness of the silicone then mernation offers a $1200 tail that's basically the same thickness as other makers tails. This cheaper tail is still full silicone not partial like what merbellas does to you for a cheaper price. I'm just saying from observation and someone who wants her dream tail without having to remove extra fins or colors because I couldn't afford it to be added but doesn't want to be gouged and still wants quality and durability, mernation was the only way to go for me not to mention no long waiting like what would happen with the others. I always said to myself if I'm going to pay that much money I better get my actual dream tail! $3500 is my budget but that's still A Lot of money and for that much I shouldn't have to sacrifice parts of my dream tail. Lucky for me their extra fin and design prices are reasonable so I get my dream tail. Also their shipping price is reasonable. Shipping in the USA is from $70-$100 depending on your location (ask and they'll tell you shipping price). Dorsal is $250, pelvic fins $100, heel fins $100, and designs are $100. Deluxe advanced start price $2500, basic tail $1200. They also will make any kind of design you request. Have a special fluke or extra fin in mind that they haven't done, show them and I'm sure they make it. I haven't seen them turn down a challenge yet. They are going to make me some heel fins and they haven't done those before. They send pics and updates everyday of production. They personally call you or text if they have concerns or questions. They make the production very one on one so no waiting in anticipation. They are very sweet people and I hope to meet and swim with them one day. Yep they do that too they told me to text if I'm ever in Florida. This info is what I know from my experience with them so far and I haven't even made my tail yet and info from others who told me about their experiences with them. I'm so excited. I'm not saying other makers are bad I'm just saying expensive and your getting the same thing. Mernation isn't charging as much for labor for instance. They want everyone to have a chance to have a dream come true!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    thicker presents with it's own issues FYI. I have both a super thin tail (my merbellas is thinner than any other silicone tail) and a thick tail (my mermaid creations tail) and thicker comes with it's own sets of issues. I personally don't think anyone has had a recent mernation tail *long* enough to know exactly how durable they are.. *yet*. I went a good 1.5 years before one of my fins ripped off. And I put my tails through a beating- and mine was *intentionally* cast thinner than normal. My thicker tail is heavier and puts way more weight on stress points such as the monofin which increases the risk of breaking a monofin and or having a monofin poke through.

Tail makers are all different, it really just depends with what you're looking for and what you need. But it's hard to know exactly how durable a tail is until it's been used a lot for at least a year IMO. I was quite impressed for instance, with Christomer's mertailor tail he brought when he visited us. Far more durable than I was expecting. I think swimming in a aquarium isn't as risky to the tails as other environments. You're not coping with chlorine that eats away at tails and creates mold in powermesh. You aren't dealing with various pool textures that can scrape a tail. You aren't dealing with kids and people who can pull and pick at your tail. And you're not dealing with transporting the tail a whole bunch in a day to different venues.

I think it's a really smart move for Mernation to offer extra reinforcement. I know 3 other tail makers who have already been offering it- just as part of the whole package but didn't really specify it. I think it's a smart business move to charge extra since it *is* extra time and materials to do it. I think tail makers should also charge extra for elaborate paint jobs as they require more time, more paint, and custom stencils.

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    thicker presents with it's own issues FYI. I have both a super thin tail (my merbellas is thinner than any other silicone tail) and a thick tail (my mermaid creations tail) and thicker comes with it's own sets of issues. I personally don't think anyone has had a recent mernation tail *long* enough to know exactly how durable they are.. *yet*. I went a good 1.5 years before one of my fins ripped off. And I put my tails through a beating- and mine was *intentionally* cast thinner than normal. My thicker tail is heavier and puts way more weight on stress points such as the monofin which increases the risk of breaking a monofin and or having a monofin poke through.

Tail makers are all different, it really just depends with what you're looking for and what you need. But it's hard to know exactly how durable a tail is until it's been used a lot for at least a year IMO. I was quite impressed for instance, with Christomer's mertailor tail he brought when he visited us. Far more durable than I was expecting. I think swimming in a aquarium isn't as risky to the tails as other environments. You're not coping with chlorine that eats away at tails and creates mold in powermesh. You aren't dealing with various pool textures that can scrape a tail. You aren't dealing with kids and people who can pull and pick at your tail. And you're not dealing with transporting the tail a whole bunch in a day to different venues.

I think it's a really smart move for Mernation to offer extra reinforcement. I know 3 other tail makers who have already been offering it- just as part of the whole package but didn't really specify it. I think it's a smart business move to charge extra since it *is* extra time and materials to do it. I think tail makers should also charge extra for elaborate paint jobs as they require more time, more paint, and custom stencils.
    I think mernation looks to provide mers with something special rather than making financial gain from it. They seem to be doing it out of love for mermaiding and love for others dreams since they do have another job other than this. This seems more like a side thing they do. I'm just thankful for them otherwise I would have to sacrifice parts of my dream tail just to have a tail at all. Chrissy said she's had kids tugging and pulling on her fins a lot consistently the last few months and haven't had a rip at all. The fluke seems to be the perfect weight to prevent monofin breakage because the mers I've talked to haven't had an issue at all. They said the tail weighs about 30 to 35 pounds. Yes I love the extra durability. They just took that out and do a simple paint job for the $1200 tails so if there are mers that don't care about durability "heavy tail" or special paint then they can afford a full silicone tail. They said they are even willing to do special paint for the $1200 but they would charge a little extra but at least the start price is $1200. I know I've been aggravating them to death with messages but they are so nice and told me to keep asking questions if I have any because now is definitely the time rather than during production. I started talking to them way back in March and even though they knew I wasn't buying until December they still talked to me as much as they are now. They didn't cast me to the side or anything.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mer-Crazy's Avatar

Visit Mer-Crazy's Youtube Channel
    I would also just like to chuck this out there, to show how competitive the market actually is at the moment: (please note this is BEFORE the Finfolk scheduled price rise and I will make a new one once it's been announced)
    Name:  tail prices2.png
Views: 3812
Size:  8.9 KB

Looking at this you can see how close the prices actually are among SOME of the tail makers. If you take out Flip tails and Mermaid creations you'd probably get a more accurate expectation of what things cost and what is 'expensive' vs 'cheap', but I thought I'd include them anyway. But looking at the prices, I think it's unfair to say that Mernation is the only one not trying to make a financial gain from making tails. I will also acknowledge that their simple tails are the cheapest full silicone tails on the market without a doubt (Jesse's from Mermaid Creations coming in a close second with his).

Let's try this, I wanted to order a tail with a fairly elaborate paint job, 2 sets of fins (because who can have just one?), a dorsal and a monofin upgrade (because I live near the ocean) here's how much it would cost me:
    Mernation: $3150 (Tail: 2500, Monofin Upgrade: 200, Extra fins: 100x2, Dorsal: 250, Elaborate Paint: Included)
    Finfolk: $3375 (Tail: 2500, Monofin Upgrade: 150, Extra fins: 175x2, Dorsal: 175, elaborate paint: 200)
    Merbella: $3200 (Tail: 2600, Monofin Upgrade: Included, Extra fins: 150x2, Dorsal: 300, Elaborate Paint: Included)
    Mertailor: $3490.58 (Tail: 2729.50, Monofin Upgrade: Non-Optional, Extra fins: 168.50x2, Dorsal: 371, Elaborate Paint: 53)

So as you can see between all four of the current (in my personal opinion) major tail makers, a fairly standard order there is only about $350 between the lowest and the highest, with only $50 standing between the bottom two. So I once again say that if we are talking prices then I'd say Mernation is in it for dream making AND profit just as much as any other tail maker. THIS taking into account that Mernation only sculpts the exterior side of their fins (as seen in Mermaid Dottie's unboxing video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJiu...k69Qh8nE4lFZNg at 17:00 min in.) and whilst they are highly praised for their resilient body of the tail the fluke seems to be a weak spot in that aspect:
    After 3 months:
    3:20- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru4l...k69Qh8nE4lFZNg
    After 2 Months:
    4:24- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btlx...M4xwe5B-zTTVcg

I will acknowledge that they are really up there in terms of their customer service and response times, probably Finfolk are the only others close to their quality from what
    I've heard, however I think Finfolk also have a much higher order intake than Mernation does, so Mernation has the time to spend. They are known to be sturdier than most other tails, once again Finfolk seem to be close to them in terms of how well the extra fins are attached (based on videos I've seen). However as Raina stated they haven't been around as long as some other tail makers like Mertailor or Merbellas so it's impossible to say how their tails will hold up in the long run.

But in saying that in my personal opinion (please do not attack me for this I've been mostly fact orientated up until this point but I think this is something that I need to say as well) Mernation isn't as up there with their sculpting abilities and painting. I'm not saying their bad, I'm just saying that from what I've seen in videos and pictures that compared to the other tail makers their designs aren't as detailed or advanced.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Selene View Post
    But in saying that in my personal opinion (please do not attack me for this I've been mostly fact orientated up until this point but I think this is something that I need to say as well) Mernation isn't as up there with their sculpting abilities and painting. I'm not saying their bad, I'm just saying that from what I've seen in videos and pictures that compared to the other tail makers their designs aren't as detailed or advanced.
    Which is one of the reasons why I was so impressed with the new scale pattern! It shows they've really stepped up their game!

https://twitter.com/MerNationInc/sta...23986009444352

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Pearl View Post
    Which is one of the reasons why I was so impressed with the new scale pattern! It shows they've really stepped up their game!

https://twitter.com/MerNationInc/sta...23986009444352
    This is true also I was quite impressed by the new scale pattern, though I did forget about that in my little price analysis haha. Not sure if they'll be same cost or an additional though. May be a variable I'll have to add to the chart haha.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Merley's Avatar
    Add Merley on Facebook
    Am I the only one who thinks the new Mernation scale design looks inspired by Merbella scales?
    User formerly known as "Waikiki Mermaid".

No. I also thought that as well, but there are a few differences with them which are mainly comparative size and the fact that Merbella scales have a raised lip on the edge. I thought I may have offended enough with the whole 'not as good as so-and-so' that I didn't bring it up haha.

Name:  1378533_598876176835133_875020018_n.jpg
Views: 1443
Size:  163.4 KB

Name:  10404130_994378960588291_5012780964102258137_n.jpg
Views: 1099
Size:  116.4 KB

This is true also I was quite impressed by the new scale pattern, though I did forget about that in my little price analysis haha. Not sure if they'll be same cost or an additional though. May be a variable I'll have to add to the chart haha.

According to their Facebook page, there will be no extra cost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Selene I think your chart is really cool
    If you have time maybe put it in its own thread that can be stickied in commercial tail discussion. I bet a lot of people would appreciate how you have the options all laid out.

I would also just like to chuck this out there, to show how competitive the market actually is at the moment: (please note this is BEFORE the Finfolk scheduled price rise and I will make a new one once it's been announced)
    Name:  tail prices2.png
Views: 3812
Size:  8.9 KB

Looking at this you can see how close the prices actually are among SOME of the tail makers. If you take out Flip tails and Mermaid creations you'd probably get a more accurate expectation of what things cost and what is 'expensive' vs 'cheap', but I thought I'd include them anyway. But looking at the prices, I think it's unfair to say that Mernation is the only one not trying to make a financial gain from making tails. I will also acknowledge that their simple tails are the cheapest full silicone tails on the market without a doubt (Jesse's from Mermaid Creations coming in a close second with his).

Let's try this, I wanted to order a tail with a fairly elaborate paint job, 2 sets of fins (because who can have just one?), a dorsal and a monofin upgrade (because I live near the ocean) here's how much it would cost me:
    Mernation: $3150 (Tail: 2500, Monofin Upgrade: 200, Extra fins: 100x2, Dorsal: 250, Elaborate Paint: Included)
    Finfolk: $3375 (Tail: 2500, Monofin Upgrade: 150, Extra fins: 175x2, Dorsal: 175, elaborate paint: 200)
    Merbella: $3200 (Tail: 2600, Monofin Upgrade: Included, Extra fins: 150x2, Dorsal: 300, Elaborate Paint: Included)
    Mertailor: $3490.58 (Tail: 2729.50, Monofin Upgrade: Non-Optional, Extra fins: 168.50x2, Dorsal: 371, Elaborate Paint: 53)

So as you can see between all four of the current (in my personal opinion) major tail makers, a fairly standard order there is only about $350 between the lowest and the highest, with only $50 standing between the bottom two. So I once again say that if we are talking prices then I'd say Mernation is in it for dream making AND profit just as much as any other tail maker. THIS taking into account that Mernation only sculpts the exterior side of their fins (as seen in Mermaid Dottie's unboxing video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJiu...k69Qh8nE4lFZNg at 17:00 min in.) and whilst they are highly praised for their resilient body of the tail the fluke seems to be a weak spot in that aspect:
    After 3 months:
    3:20- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru4l...k69Qh8nE4lFZNg
    After 2 Months:
    4:24- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btlx...M4xwe5B-zTTVcg

I will acknowledge that they are really up there in terms of their customer service and response times, probably Finfolk are the only others close to their quality from what
    I've heard, however I think Finfolk also have a much higher order intake than Mernation does, so Mernation has the time to spend. They are known to be sturdier than most other tails, once again Finfolk seem to be close to them in terms of how well the extra fins are attached (based on videos I've seen). However as Raina stated they haven't been around as long as some other tail makers like Mertailor or Merbellas so it's impossible to say how their tails will hold up in the long run.

They now always have textured fins on both sides. They no longer do the smooth underside like what you see in dotties review. When you make a request for something to be done they do it. I haven't heard of them turning down a custom request. Even though they haven't done any heel fins as of yet they are making some for me. I have custom pelvic fins being made too because the ones they have don't match my design. I love how they get a tail delivered to you exactly 1 month after you order. They don't take months and months to get the product to you. They constantly stay on top of things by updating you everyday so you know how it's going. They make sure it looks right to you before continuing when they aren't sure about something. I think they deserve more credit than what they are getting.

They don't charge extra for the new scales. Same price included in either the $1200 or the $2500 tail

Quote Originally Posted by SeaVixen View Post
    They now always have textured fins on both sides. They no longer do the smooth underside like what you see in dotties review. When you make a request for something to be done they do it. I haven't heard of them turning down a custom request. Even though they haven't done any heel fins as of yet they are making some for me. I have custom pelvic fins being made too because the ones they have don't match my design. I love how they get a tail delivered to you exactly 1 month after you order. They don't take months and months to get the product to you. They constantly stay on top of things by updating you everyday so you know how it's going. They make sure it looks right to you before continuing when they aren't sure about something. I think they deserve more credit than what they are getting.
    I don't mean to step on your toes here, but it's okay for other people to prefer other tailmakers. You seem very defensive of MerNation--which is fine! I agree, they're a great tailmaker! The only silicone tail I've touched is a MerNation tail and it was beautiful. But you don't need to reply to every post about them. I love your passion about them and I know you'll love your tail from them, you just seem to be coming off a little strong and defending them when the post seems neutral.