Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Coney Island Mermaid Parade Meetup

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar

2014 Coney Island Mermaid Parade Meetup

The 2014 Coney Island Mermaid Parade will be Saturday June 21st at 1 pm. Who's down for a meet up?

Here's an event page on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/1419589791632402
    Here's the official website for the parade: http://www.coneyisland.com/programs/mermaid-parade

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    I will be there! I am ALWAYS there! Who else is coming?

If we can get enough mers together, would everyone like to march together?

Wish I could go! Everyone have fun(:

Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    I will be there! I am ALWAYS there! Who else is coming?

If we can get enough mers together, would everyone like to march together?
    I'll be there, and I would love to march. I'd especially love to have some kind of small float so we could wear tails.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod MerAnthony's Avatar
    Add MerAnthony on Facebook
    I might be there , not sure yet. I have to see on how things go an to see if I can make it.
    Be Happy Swim Free

We are working on obtaining a float for the Pod, I remember speaking to chris and JV on this. I will let you guys know more as soon as I can

Quote Originally Posted by New York Mermaid View Post
    We are working on obtaining a float for the Pod, I remember speaking to chris and JV on this. I will let you guys know more as soon as I can
    Oh my god that would be so cool. No pressure though. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

If we can get enough people together to spread the cost around, we could rent a flatbed truck for the parade down Surf Ave, but we wouldn't be able to go up onto the boardwalk section of the parade. Pull/push floats will ned to be light enough to go up a ramp to get onto the boardwalk, and mertenders will be required.

Silicone tails will be hotter than the hinges of hell, so consider making a fabric tail for the parade, or other dy event version...also, you might want to consider making a walking costume.

I have a lot of ideas for these constraints, and if you all like, I can expand upon the subject on my blog or on facebook, or in a new thread here.

Are there any other parade veterans on the network?

I went last year. JV, Matt, Spindrift, Lanai, Marilyn, and some other people have gone too.

But your comment about silicone tails being too hot to wear in the parade gave me an idea. What if instead of marching in the parade we just had some kind of banner or flag to identify ourselves that we could use while swimming at the beach? Here's sort of a concept image using a photo of Heather in her tail from last year.

Name:  banner001.png
Views: 148
Size:  638.5 KB

Re: 2014 Coney Island Mermaid Parade Meetup

Not sure if I'll be able to make it or not this year. But I like the banner idea! If it was going to be a solid beach day, I would suggest investing in a cheap beach shelter. I got mine at The Christmas Tree Shop and I adore it. It would give mers changing in and out of tails some privacy and act as a little base camp.

The windows have coverings that roll up or down so you can get light or privacy. My gf/mertender is about 5'6" so you can kinda judge how much room is in there. One person can pretty much lay down or at least 2 if you're sitting. Ours is extremely light weight (5lbs at most) and came with a carrying case.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Registration is now open, if we're interested in marching. Is anyone still interested in that? I get the sense people would rather watch the parade and swim.

Well, there is no way I'm not going to be in it! I plan on winning Best Mermaid!

Senior Member Pod of New England Echinacea's Avatar
    Add Echinacea on Facebook
    I am interested, most definitely, need to check and see about finances. What is there for local hotels - any recommendations? I would be coming from Massachusetts, so would probably need something for Friday and Saturday nights. Has there been any thought about a merfolk block at a local hotel/motel?

I will take a look regarding hotels and such when I can get on a big computer and not on my phone... it might be Tuesday before I can get to that information.

I am, but I go every year! Online registration is still open until tomorrow night (I think), otherwise, you have to register onsite Saturday.

Anyone else going?

Still going...not sure how were going to find anybody though. I'm going to try and be by the rocks on the Nathans side. Don't have my tail though so that's not a good landmark

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Hi Merfam! Wanted to invite you all to our Friendly Mer-Meetup this coming June 18th at Coney Island, i will be entering the mermaid parade along with my merpirates friends on their Float afterwards we heading over to the rocks to hangout hope you can all make it, everyone welcomed here is link https://www.facebook.com/events/1707...message_bubble

PearlieMae im so exciting about this year's upcoming Mermaid Parade we're going to enter again and this time i have mersister who is coming with a Pirateship Float so really excited, just dont know anything regarding float rules or anything, im so appreciate the information you shared, so i can relate info to her

Hi Cookie! Here's a link to the parade info: http://www.coneyisland.com/programs/mermaid-parade

I also suggest signing up for the forum there, too! It's not as active as Mernetwork, but there's a lot of good info and the closer it gets to the parade, the more active it gets. I've posted a parade tips post a couple years ago and it's pretty extensive (my user name is Nimuë la Mer).

I'll probably be at the judges stand again this year as the Official Bailiff/Judge Wrangler!