Thread: Marlin's Tail Rack

Senior Member Pod of The South Marlin's Avatar
    Add Marlin on Facebook

Marlin's Tail Rack

So- I just got my Finfolk tail recently and encountered a problem I'm sure many of you are more than familiar with- fully drying your tail. It is especially difficult here in Florida- with our EXTREMELY humid weather.

My solution (and I have no idea if this has been suggested before) is a rack to support the fluke and hang the tail upside down to let the water flow out of it. It's going to have a slot on the bottom for a bucket or pan, something to that degree, underneath the tail to catch the water. I might try and incorporate some kind of mount for a fan to point up into the tail to keep air flowing into it- I haven't decided yet.

As far as materials- I'm currently thinking PVC piping or something similar. Would have to use the thicker ones to support the tails weight.

I wanted to include this thread because I am a little jealous of all of you out there (and you know who you are...) who are gifted with amazing crafting and artistic ability; and I wanted to contribute something to the community that would be useful in a field that I consider myself fairly skilled in: engineering. The other reason I'm keeping a written log is that I tend to have ideas for projects, get excited, buy stuff, and start; but never finish them. I haven't finished one of my projects in a while, and I could use a morale boost.

So; I'll be posting updates as I gather materials and get everything together. I should have some kind of rough schematic within a week. I do plan to head over to Home Depot or Lowe's to look at parts and materials this weekend and should have a decision on a couple different features after that. I plan to have it built by my birthday at the end of the month.

Any comments, suggestions, or constructive criticism are welcome and appreciated. Thanks!

TL;DR VERSION:
    Me build rack; make tail dry; small whine; updates = true.
    Even mermaids need tech support.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mer-Crazy's Avatar

Visit Mer-Crazy's Youtube Channel
    http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...ight=tail+care

There are models of tail racks here It has even been suggested you can use guitar wall mounts to hang it up somewhere... can't remember exactly though.

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    I was thinking that you should try to find out a way where there are more than 2 points holding the fluke up. You wouldn't want to damage a fluke by holding it up with 2 hard pvc pipes, you know?

Add Marlin on Facebook
    @ Selene: Figured someone thought of this before I did. Either way- will be fun to build. Thanks for the link!

@ Hope: Multiple supports on the fluke would be a good idea. And I wasn't just going to put it on bare PVC, I was going to over it in either carpeting or some form of soft foam.

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Alright, You know what youre doing

Add Marlin on Facebook
    Let's hope so!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Tail rack has to be fully functional as wine and pizza rack too.

Especially when your mer friends come for a visit, you can set it by the pool for easy access!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod MerAnthony's Avatar
    Add MerAnthony on Facebook
    Marlin you can buy the type of foam that is made to go around water pipes. They are black an have a slice down the middle. Or you could buy a swim noodle an slice it down the middle an put over the pvc pipes.
    Be Happy Swim Free

Add Marlin on Facebook
    I finally got my tail back from Finfolk, so I think it's a good time to re-start this project. I know I'm well behind schedule... but I bought all my materials today, and documented what I used. I'll take pictures as I go and post a step-by-step after I'm done. I probably won't finish today, but I should be completely done by tomorrow night if all goes well.

More updates to follow

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Meilyn's Avatar
    Follow Meilyn On Twitter Add Meilyn on Facebook
    Follow Meilyn on Tumblr
    Marlin: I did this! !

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi...6&ref=bookmark

Then I bought a small 15$ fan and put it under the tail to constantly blow air through it. Last swim I didn't do that and there was water in it for 3 days. The air circulation really helps along with an open area

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Meilyn's Avatar
    Follow Meilyn On Twitter Add Meilyn on Facebook
    Follow Meilyn on Tumblr
    I've found a fan small enough but strong enough to fit just under the tail (laid flat so it blows up) there's a constant flow of air going through my tail. And since it's hung upside down, and slightly away from the wall since the wall thing sticks out, I don't have to put anything in it to keep the tail open as well.

Add Marlin on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Meilyn View Post
    Marlin: I did this! !

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi...6&ref=bookmark

Then I bought a small 15$ fan and put it under the tail to constantly blow air through it. Last swim I didn't do that and there was water in it for 3 days. The air circulation really helps along with an open area
    The hooks on the wall seem to be popular, but I'm building one out of PVC. The plan is to build a frame that can be taken apart to key pieces so I have something to dry my tail when I travel.

I plan to do the same thing with the fan. Florida tends to be super humid, and drip drying alone does not work. Thanks for the suggestion.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Cerulean's Avatar
    Great job Marlin! I know you mentioned you had been working on this the other day, hopefully you found time to finish it or will soon.

Go Go Marlin! Finish that tail rack -waves little flag- ......and then post pictures of it! Hahah

Add Marlin on Facebook
    So, I got the rack done on Sunday- and here's what I came up with:

Name:  Tail Rack.png
Views: 257
Size:  355.5 KB

The pool noodles are held there using bungee cords for now, but I plan to buy a chain for it soon. I will probably end up painting it either black or blue later on down the road.

So, how'd I do?

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    Oooh, neato I like how it matches your tail kind of (or will, eventually).

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

Looks wonderful Marlin!
    ---------------------------------
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    Mernetwork Moderator