Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: A Silicone Tail Making Adventure with Wesley

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel

A Silicone Tail Making Adventure with Wesley

I ordered another box of monster clay so when that arrives I'll be able to start my fluke over. *sigh* it's a bummer. Oh and I had a thought. How much of a market do you think exists for basic silicone tails? What I mean is like the mertailor basic tail but actually well made and maybe even a little prettier. I personally dislike the wavy edge of his tails. Do you think (I I find that working with silicone isn't too tough) I could get some of the people who are risking their money on mertailor basics or (as I've just noticed) mermaids r us tails? It breaks my heart when someone's tail doesn't work. If I were to sell tails, I wouldn't do anything fancy. Solid colors, no extra fins, no custom flukes or paint jobs. Just tails that work and fit and look nice. Any thoughts on this?

Sent from my shellphone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod ShyMer's Avatar
    Once you finish your tail, maybe see if you could get one or two people to buy a tail from you- then you can see if tailmaking is something you'll be able to handle. You might find that you like making tails for yourself but hate making for other people. You might find that you like making for other people, but only want to do it every once in a while (as opposed to having a dozen orders going at once all the time.)
    Last edited by ShyMer; 04-09-2014 at 05:21 PM.

I agree very much. It's just a thought. I've noticed how poorly made basic tails are lately, merbellas are the exception as far as I can see. And I've been throwing around the idea for a while. Hmmm.... Well mostly Ive got mermaid on the brain but I can't start my new fluke sculpt till this weekend.

ShyMer, Whoops this got posted twice XD

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod ShyMer's Avatar
    Silly me, all fixed :P

I think the reason why people like basic tails is because they're cheap. That's why people buy them over full silicone ones, they're hoping to get something as good as a realistic tail without the price. Unfortunately, it seems you get what you pay for - the exception looks to be Merbella's, who produce very high-quality basics. On that note, about prices and Merbella's to put some perspective on what it looks like that market is like now, they lowered their performance tail prices, but no one noticed because she raised her basic prices (to reflect the labor put into them) and everyone got in a little tizzy about it. So yeah, if you're thinking of making basics, people will expect them to be $1000 or less, but they'll likely want them to be really good, like, almost full-silicone quality.

I think that's why other people who have made silicone tails and then gone on to sell them just do full silicone.

Could be entirely wrong though. I just feel like when I read things, that the way the sound to me. But I could be WAY off. :P
    آناهیتا پری دریایی
    Anahita, The Persian Mermaid
    Facebook - Shop - Tumblr - Storytime with Shahrzad - Blog

I definitely get that. (This might sound cocky but) I would kindof aim to replace the mertailor basic tail in terms of what people are looking to buy. I wouldn't charge much more than his if any. In my opinion, the basic mertailors are a huge gamble. You might get a nice tail or you might get something unusable. I don't think the price is worth the risk. He makes a substantial proft on those and.... I can't help but think that I could do it better. (I haven't even worked with silicone yet but I still think that. That says something.) One thing I know for sure is I would never send out a tail that didn't look nice.

Quote Originally Posted by MerHopefully View Post
    (This might sound cocky but) I would kindof aim to replace the mertailor basic tail in terms of what people are looking to buy.
    Bahaha! I love that!

And yeah, actually, real, platinum cure silicone is not that difficult to work with. You just have to make sure you avoid sulfur-tainted products, latex, and humidity when working with it. SoCal does have a slightly better advantage to Florida over the latter there, because we're not as humid as Florida, so we have more workable time for the product - especially given our current drought.
    آناهیتا پری دریایی

Lol California's weather even wants me to win! Lmao. Well, it's just a nice thought. I might not even end up making more than my own tail, but if I could figure a cost and time effective way to do basic partial silicone tails, I would be happy.

I've got my fingers crossed for you! It could be quite lucrative.
    آناهیتا پری دریایی

Thanks

Okay, so I've been messing with that neptunes daughter thingie and I did a thing:
    Name:  Screen Shot 2014-04-12 at 4.34.35 PM.png
Views: 1055
Size:  320.3 KB
    This is a bit pinker than i would like, but this is basically the color scheme I am thinking about. A magenta/maroon with peach/pink underbelly. What do you think?

Senior Member Pod of Oceania AnnaAbyss's Avatar
    Beautiful design and fluke sculpture! I learned something really valuable from this: The way you did your fluke sculpture onto lexan with the design. It's a brilliant idea! I've seen it done before but I got caught up with other aspects of how to make a tail and completely forgot about it. xD I'll use this idea for when I FINALLY get around to making my tail.
    Also, thank you and GOOD LUCK! <333

Unfortunately, I have no progress to report, other than the fact that 2 of the 5 people I've mentioned Mermaiding to know another mermaid. Lol. I'm waiting for dad to help me with making my fluke mold and it's my sisters birthday tomorrow and then Easter. Bleh.

Great job! You're fluke is really unique!

Thanks so much

Great job with all your progress! Even if you have to scrap a bit and keep going, it can get pretty frustrating, but it looks like you have a drive to keep on going. Good for you!
    I can't wait to see more progress pictures, it's looking quite promising already!

I certainly have the drive at this point I'm really excited about it.

Okay! Mini-update! I will re-start my fluke sculpt this weekend! I will also probably get the lexan and order some polyzap and zoomers. TO AMAZON

I've got my zoomers!