Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Merberry

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Tieri View Post
    Sorry, let me clarify; my brain's been kind of all over the place today, oops!

I do think the strategy itself is a bad idea, mostly because I know far too many people in other costume-based fandoms who have ended up in Merberry's position-- They try making elaborate costume pieces, get overwhelmed with the work due to taking on way too many orders or poor overall quality, and when they start getting criticism/negative reviews/upset clients/whatever, they can't handle the pressure and try to run away from it instead of accepting responsbility. Then they come back with this "I'm changed, I'm going to make things right" routine and do the same thing they did before to try and make back money to repay the people they pissed off. Then, they.... take on too many orders, or let their production standards slip, and everything goes back to hell in the same handbasket it went down in the first time.

It's a really risky strategy, because it basically puts the builder back in the exact same position that landed them in that mess the first time. Personally, because of just how easy it is to screw up, I generally advise people not to go that route. If it's possible, try selling pre-made items instead of fully custom works, or something.

Even still, in Merberry's case, she's already done more than others who've been in her position simply by coming back out in the open and acknowledging what she's doing here. She's actually worked on improving her tailmaking, and has basically opened up a new line of communication so people she owes can get back in touch. I don't agree with the strategy itself, but I do give her major props for putting in as much effort as she has so far.

I'm wary, but at the same time, I want to give her the benefit of the doubt, because all things considered it IS pretty brave of her to come back. The very least I can do is offer some sort of support, even if I'm hesitant about it, because there's an actual chance here that she COULD manage to pay back her old clients. So I've got my fingers crossed for her.
    Part of the problem, though, is that they WANT to make things right, but go down that same path that got them into trouble in the first place, and generally, the main problem boils down to not having the chops to pull off the task their are being commissioned to do. They rush into production thinking they can make amends, keep up AND turn a profit, only to end up in the same situation that got them into trouble in the first place.

I'm not sure she even has a strategy and is biting off more than she can chew - again - but I wish her luck.

So yeah, it IS buyer beware...but also remember effort does not equal quality.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Honestly, even for well established tail makers this is so darn hard. I have watched Raven go through so much stress trying to make clients happy, it's one of the reasons why she takes so long. She's one of the only tail makers I know of that will give a full refund as well which is really hard on her. Sometimes she sells off her personal tails she made for herself so the business can keep going.

It's not easy, and I get upset when I see so many people who have barely made tails or havent even finished making ONE decide to be tail makers.

There are some tail makers out there who are considered established that Ive had experience with, that I dont think should be making tails because they havent figured out basic things like painting, seaming, etc. Or are using materials that don't mix. But the demand is so high everyone thinks they can get rich off it. Tail makers don't get rich. lol They just end up spending all their time making tails.

Kudos to anyone willing to try but I have much more respect for people like Pearlie who take the time to get the process right and test the frigging hell out of it before considering making tails to sell. I remember once reading about a mermaid calling themself a tail maker, and they hadnt even SWAM in a tail before and for some things I really think you just need to experience it before you label yourself anything.

All I can say is that I hope she has learned from her previous mistakes (though i have my doubts) and I hope that she keeps her previous promises to those she owes money or tails (like myself and the countless others)

I couldnt help but notice that the picture of her tail on her new facebook page isnt actually being worn properly.....it is merely resting on top of someones legs (backwards none the less) as opposed to actually being worn? this raises red flags for me as I know how visible the monofins are in her tails so its like she is trying to hide that which is then false advertising.
    Lily-Rose the English Mermaid
    of
    The English Mermaids

Senior Member Euro Pod Mermaid Crystal Shimmer's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Crystal Shimmer On Twitter Add Mermaid Crystal Shimmer on Facebook
    Follow Mermaid Crystal Shimmer on Tumblr Follow Mermaid Crystal Shimmer on Flickr Visit Mermaid Crystal Shimmer's Youtube Channel
    Her new page also announced she's making the latex tails again. But it states that those are not meant for underwater use. Just dry use for photoshoots or something. So she has learned from past experience. I really do hope she get's to pay everyone back and make a succes of this second attempt of tail making, and not going down the road she has been before.

Also, I must say that having a lot of patience is working. She made a fourth payment which means I got 350$ of the total 500$ tail.

That is encouraging that she's paying you back, Crystal Shimmer. She's doing some of the right things. Personally, I'd feel better if she came out and said, "Hey, we were previously Merberry, and we made some mistakes. But we're paying everyone back and starting fresh." And then doing it. They're being more honest, but I would want to see follow-through for everyone owed money before I would expect follow-through on a tail.
    Cool people have signatures. I wish to be cool as well. So here's Strong Bad catching fish. http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail44.html

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    She's still doing better than fishbutts did. So that's good

I don't understand why anyone would use a Finis monofin in a tail that isn't intended for water. That really must add to the price.

Also, personally, I'm quite put off my the new company name. Finspo is too close to thinspo for my comfort. I'm sure PLENTY of people don't care, I just have a few friends who survived anorexia and still struggle, so I see that and feel a little sick to my stomach.

But it's good to see honesty- these are for dry use only.

I had the same thoughts about the name. =/ and here's the silicone listing. Can't get over how obvious the monofin is in that bathtub picture.
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/2049162...-shop-header-0

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    It's absolutely a play on thinspo. And I will say that thinspo isn't always horrible, but they do have that association. Finspo bugs me, but as long as it doesn't get any more ties to eds I can deal with it. As far as the monofin goes, it's hard to hide a monofin in that position. Silicone is very floppy and stretchy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what the name sounded like! I knew it sounded like something I'd heard before. It's a bit unfortunate that they sound so similar, because that's a preconception a lot of people have about mermaids. That they're little!
    Cool people have signatures. I wish to be cool as well. So here's Strong Bad catching fish. http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail44.html

I find it disingenuous that on the FB page the long description says "We craft together the finest silicone,latex, fiberglass and wishes into a mermaid tail you can actually swim in. "
    but in the posts by others section they respond to Jolene Oldhams question of "aren't you Merberry?" with:
    "Sort of! We grew out of Merberry. Back then it was just Amanda Avery working on her own making latex tails; this is a microcompany that make silicone and latex tails meant only for photography."

Take the wave now and know that you're free
    Turn your back on the land face the sea
    Face the wind now so wild and so strong
    When you think of me
    Wave to me and send me a song

I think she means that the Latex tails are for dry use only, at least that's what her Etsy-shop states.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Seatan's Avatar
    Add Seatan on Facebook
    Yes, and every time I see you on Facebook I want to sing the song "Jolene." Please don't take my merman....

(Do people drive you crazy with that? I get "Michelle My Belle" a lot, LOL.)
    Once upon a time I was known as Seavanna. Going by Seatan these days. I always wanted to be the high lord of underwater hell.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Seatan's Avatar
    Add Seatan on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Wesley View Post
    It's absolutely a play on thinspo. And I will say that thinspo isn't always horrible, but they do have that association. Finspo bugs me, but as long as it doesn't get any more ties to eds I can deal with it. As far as the monofin goes, it's hard to hide a monofin in that position. Silicone is very floppy and stretchy.
    I think that she is referring to how the yellow fin shows through the thin, light colored silicone. She needs to make the fluke a little bit thicker so the yellow monofin can't be seen.
    Once upon a time I was known as Seavanna. Going by Seatan these days. I always wanted to be the high lord of underwater hell.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Seavanna View Post
    Yes, and every time I see you on Facebook I want to sing the song "Jolene." Please don't take my merman....

(Do people drive you crazy with that? I get "Michelle My Belle" a lot, LOL.)
    YES! It drove me crazy for a long time. I went from no one being able to pronounce my name (Jolene? Really? How hard is THAT?) to everyone automatically bursting into song! I finally had the chance to meet with Dolly Parton and we had a good laugh about it. She said she wouldn't apologize because it's made her a lot of money!

Senior Member Pod of Texas Sherielle's Avatar
    One of the things I don't like about my mermaid creations tail is that the monofin is so obvious in the fluke.
    And I have heard 'Sherry' From the Four Seasons since I was born. Sick of it, I am. I much prefer the Steve Perry song, 'Oh Sherrie' even if he spelled the name wrong.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by deepblue View Post
    Finspo is too close to thinspo for my comfort.
    Never heard of thinspo before and googled it.
    Goodness.
    I can't even. Curiosity and the cat, I guess

Well I got into contact with Amanda and she seemed pretty eager to continue payments, and wanted to stay in touch and offered to start sending payments again and gave me an option of waiting so she could send 100 or send 50 a little sooner. I chose 50 sooner and she said she'd get back to me in October with it...October came around and nothing, then i contacted her in November and she said she just needed a little more time...then i contacted her in December and got this response "Hey Jade. I actually just lost my job recently, it's been pretty tough. But tail sales are picking up a little, I might be able to get you something soon. Sorry as always for how long this has been taking." So yeah, I think she's paying people back with new order money. Anyone else having this problem? Maybe she should pay back people one person at a time instead of spreading herself so thin paying back everyone