Thread: Tank & Trailer For Sale

Tank & Trailer For Sale

I am selling a large acrylic tank with custom trailer. There are issues. Let me explain them.

I bought this tank in June of 2013 from a craigslist ad. The ad says it is 448.8 gallons and 60" L x 36" W x 48" tall measured on the outside of the tank. It has 1" thick acrylic walls. It also has some sort of black plastic glued inside on one end.

After I purchased the tank, I had a custom trailer created. The trailer was made to hold the tank and the weight of the tank after filled with water, so that the tank could stay on the trailer permanently. The plan was to pull the tank empty to the event, fill with water, then empty and drive away after the event.

We filled the tank and it got almost to the top, when the seams started leaking again and caused a crack toward the top of the tank on one wall.

We took it to an aquarium builder to see if he could fix it. He said the wrong glue was used when it was built, it would have to be taken apart, the edges sawed off, and re-glued together. He said new glue won't stick to the old glue, and there is no way to get the old glue off. Oh, and he doesn't do that and neither does anyone else in the area.

At this point, I think it's best if I try to find someone who can possible fix it up and get it workable. If you know what your doing or have someone in your area that can fix it, it would be a great mermaid tank.

Perhaps someone could even use it dry, as a reptile tank?

I live in Fort Myers Florida but I can transport this to surrounding areas. If you will be transporting this with your vehicle, you will need a trailer hitch.

If you live outside of Florida and are interested, I may be able to deliver it to you or meet you at a later date, depending on where you are.

I paid $1500 for the tank and $900 for the trailer, but I'm just asking $1000 for everything since I know it will cost someone to repair it.

This is how the tank and trailer are now. Notice the crack near the top left.
    Name:  TankTrailer_1067x800.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  115.6 KB

This is me inside the tank, just so you have an idea of how large it is, my knees are bent and legs are behind me.
    Name:  IMG_3186.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  255.8 KB

This is a picture of it leaking.
    Name:  IMG_3200.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  248.1 KB
    Last edited by BlueMermaid; 04-30-2014 at 02:20 PM.

Gorgeous tank, I really like the shape of it. Best of luck to you selling it, I hope someone can fix it up nice!

Thanks MerEmma I would really hate to see this nice tank go to waste. It would be so nice for a mermaid!

Quote Originally Posted by MerEmma View Post
    Gorgeous tank, I really like the shape of it. Best of luck to you selling it, I hope someone can fix it up nice!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I shared it on FB!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Morticia Mermaid's Avatar
    Follow Morticia Mermaid On Twitter Add Morticia Mermaid on Facebook Add Morticia Mermaid on Google+
    Visit Morticia Mermaid's Youtube Channel
    Tried to message you, but site crashed for me. How much are you looking to get for it?
    I claim Pat 1001! ~Mermaid Morticia

Mermaid Tails and accessories available at ~ ♥Facebook- Siren's CallingGoogle+Website
    Morticia Mermaid FacebookGoogle+

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel

Tank & Trailer For Sale

She said she's asking 1000 in the first post

Sent from my shellphone using Tapatalk

Follow Morticia Mermaid On Twitter Add Morticia Mermaid on Facebook Add Morticia Mermaid on Google+
    Oh, haha. Thanks Hopefully Guess my brain decided to not see that part xD Gotta love dyslexia

Mermaid Tails and accessories available at ~ ♥Facebook- Siren's CallingGoogle+Website

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel

Tank & Trailer For Sale

No problem

Sent from my shellphone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Euro Pod *Celine*'s Avatar
    if I lived in the States I'd buy this in a heart beat. To bad I live on the other side of the world...

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    I shared it on FB!

Re: Tank & Trailer For Sale

Wish I had the funding. I'd be all over it, and have the assistance to be able to fix it

Sent by star fish

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    I wish I lived closer..... I'd take the cracked wall off and put a solid opaque piece of something there instead.
    Alasea, are you, hanging inside the tank?
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    It leaks because they used silicone glue that is made for sealing bathroom tiles. I can see it very clearly in the first photo. Its the same stuff the tiler used to fix our two bathrooms. Its hopeless at maintaining strength on an item like a fish tank where you have pressure from the water.

You already know its not good for acrylic fish... er mermaid tank.

It needs to be sealed at the seams with something that's specifically made for fish tanks not just using tile sealer. And add some kind of frame structure to the sides so it don't crack from water pressure.
    Last edited by Mermaid Jaffa; 04-30-2014 at 10:01 PM.

Yes, I was inside the tank hanging on the edge with me feet back, trying to get a feel for how it would be in my tail.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Dottie View Post
    I wish I lived closer..... I'd take the cracked wall off and put a solid opaque piece of something there instead.
    Alasea, are you, hanging inside the tank?

Most acrylic tanks now are sealed (more like seamed) using solvent welding. Even aquarium silicone is NOT a good choice for fixing these things. It just doesn't bond well. Just throwing that out there for people who are interested in tanks.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Coradion's Avatar

Visit Coradion's Youtube Channel
    It's actually not that hard of a fix. I've put together really big tanks before when I worked at Waikiki Aquarium. I'd actually be more concerned about the fact that it cracked than the fact that it leaks. To fix the leaks you don't necessarily have to take it apart although if you can it wouldn't hurt. There are acrylic bonding agents that melt and rebond the material and they're like 15 bucks a tube. If I wanted an easy fix for the leaks I'd put acrylic siding pieces with a right angle shape on the inside and outside and bond them on.

Is the crack fixable or do you think the whole side needs to be replaced?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coradion View Post
    It's actually not that hard of a fix. I've put together really big tanks before when I worked at Waikiki Aquarium. I'd actually be more concerned about the fact that it cracked than the fact that it leaks. To fix the leaks you don't necessarily have to take it apart although if you can it wouldn't hurt. There are acrylic bonding agents that melt and rebond the material and they're like 15 bucks a tube. If I wanted an easy fix for the leaks I'd put acrylic siding pieces with a right angle shape on the inside and outside and bond them on.

I know this is a long shot because of the date posted but is it still available?
    Formerly known as Lady pyrate Finley

Hey there, did you ever sell this?