Thread: Raina in the Classroom again

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod

Talking Raina in the Classroom again

So, people may remember earlier this year in the spring I spoke to university students about being a mermaid? Well, I did it again this year, to about 60 students (2 classes) It was really cool.

I gave them a history of mermaids, my history, the educator aspects of what I do, environmentalism, and talked about mermaiding in general. It was REALLY well received, I booked a few gigs from it which was cool but people came up with awesome questions for me. Here are a few photos...

explaining some very important points Im sure...

Kinda crazy to see myself in this sort of surrounding in my tail, Hahaha

I repainted the tail the night before but she's getting worn out

explaining monofins, lol

Me and one of my profs who's been non stop support for what I am doing as Raina and what I will be doing in the future!!!!

Im so used to staying in character I found myself flipping my tail through the whole thing, LOL

explaining how I swim and everyone is so involved, haha I love it

Senior Member Pod of Texas taom's Avatar
    This made me smile. You rock, Raina!!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania happyguava's Avatar
    Love your work Raina

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    Those pictures are awesome. So, can you clarify, normally you talk to little kids in schools to teach about conservation, right? And in this case you were speaking to college students about speaking to little kids about conservation?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    actually no, I haven't once spoken to kids IN schools. I am student teaching so I can't conflict my interests like that. I have always spoken to adults in school settings the work I've done with kids has been at daycares, centers, festivals, planned public gatherings, birthdays etc. This is a much more sophisticated version of what I do with the kids whereas when Im with the kids I'm down at their level and everything I said is more developmentally appropriate and hands on. They dont much care about the mechanics of a monofin or Annette Kellerman, lol. Part of what I'm doing when I speak to pre-service teachers is encouraging them to think outside the box in terms of curriculum management and also draw their attention to the resources I've created and the little known resources we have in our city that dont get known enough for teachers to use!

Senior Member Pod of Texas CynthiaMermaid's Avatar
    Thank you for sharing, Raina!

This is really cool. My mom is a college teacher almost finished her doctorate, as well as the disability services person for her campus. My sister is almost finished her master's degree at Vanderbilt to become a teacher of the deaf. Once I get through my finals, I'll definitely show this to both of them.

This is amazing!!
    Loved the pics! I'm sure they were all stunned and amazed looking at your tail