Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm thinking about starting an online mermaid tail business

Question I'm thinking about starting an online mermaid tail business

So i seem to have a slight obsession with making mermaid tails and now i've made six. i have a passion for swimming and fabric and thought instead of just making tails for myself and friends why not help other people with their mermaid dream. so i guess im just posting this to get peoples opinions on another fabric and possibly neoprene tail business starting up

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod lynsea's Avatar
    My advice, make sure you know what you're getting into and create something unique. There are a fair number of tail makers out there and to stand out, you need something novel.
    “I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.”
    Anaïs Nin

Senior Member Pod of The South Rivertee's Avatar
    Follow Rivertee On Twitter Add Rivertee on Facebook
    Follow Rivertee on Tumblr
    Never under estimate the power of great service and good prices.
    ~Nothing's Impossible just hard to achieve, so stay true to yourself and always Believe~

Formerly known as Kaguria the Kitsune Mermaid

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod ShyMer's Avatar
    I feel like some unique fabric choices would be a really good idea. One of the things I look for in fabric tail makers is variety of colors and patterns available. High quality spandex is important of course- some of the really cool ones don't hold up in the water for long, so obviously avoid those.
    Some interesting extra fin options would be nice too.

Have you made tails for other people yet? I think making for other people (especially when you don't get to see them put it on to make sure it fits) is different than making for yourself.

Good luck!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I know there aren't many neoprene tail makers around anymore. Would be good to have more.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Good to know extra fins is something people look for, I wanted to experiment with some but wasn't sure. I think neoprene will have to wait awhile until I really know what I'm doing but I love all the great ideas! Thanks so much. Keep posting your ideas

Generally how many people reading this would be possibly interested in getting a tail?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Lets see some of the tails you've already made!

Senior Member Pod of Cali PhaylennMurúch's Avatar
    I'd be interested but I'd like to see what you have already made, and that you already have what you need to start production (or at least most of it)

and cost is a concern as well

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod ShyMer's Avatar
    Yup we need to see your work first!

Sent from my Huawei-H867G using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of Cali PhaylennMurúch's Avatar
    well in such a small community where so much money is thrown around and the seascape is peppered with scammers like that Adam (?) fellow (in no way saying that I think that Indie is a scammer) and sudden implosions like what happened with fishbutts. It is only prudent, especially for those of us who have to save up a long time for something as extravagant as a tail. I wouldn't buy anything from anyone without seeing product.

I've been planning my silicone tail for ages, it takes a long time for me to save up the money because we have 3 children and we're paying for DH to do mortuary science school. It would be absolutely devastating to put $3,000 plus into a tail and end up with nothing, kwim?

Yup, I understand that. On my other thread "experimental fabric hybrid tail thing" I've been posting pictures of a tail I'm making and then I have another one I'm making for a friend and another I'm starting in a few days so over the week I'll post lots of pictures of all the tails. I have to keep saving up for my start up costs but I'm hoping maybe by the end of the summer or at least September.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I sorta read this post as more of a hypothetically speaking as opposed to you're hopping into business right now. More like gathering Intel and opinions. Is that right?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Yes, I wanted to get peoples opinions on the idea and I was hoping to get Info regarding what people looked for in a tail maker. It will probably be a good few months until I can start

What are the six tails you said you've made though?

I'm definitely interested but I want to see the other tails first ^.^

Scuttle
    : I haven't seen this in years, this is wonderful!

Ariel: What is it?
    Scuttle: A banded, bulbous snarfblatt.
    Ariel, Flounder: Oh.

Sadly I don't have all six tails in my possesion anymore. Two went to friends and then I moved to another state so I still have a couple fabric tails and my somewhat bad attempt at a latex tail. It's a work in progress. I will have pictures up tomorrow, cause I just finished one of them! I can't wait to swim in it!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Personally, I want to just pay for the fabric and a little bit more for the handiwork (the sewing up of the tail and extras like fins), not $150 or more like on some websites.