Thread: How a Mermaid can save lives

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod MermaidIsis's Avatar

How a Mermaid can save lives

I have always thought a thread like this would be a great addition to the collection of great ones we have here. I would like to talk about an ongoing and terrible problem that most everyone is facing in some way; sickness.
    Since I can remember, I've sat in a hospital room with my sick mother as frequently as every day for months strait, as she recovered from a surgery, harsh chemo treatment, received blood transfusions, and God knows what else. She was diagnosed with a disease called lupus at the age of 17. Both her mother and her father were out of the picture at that time, so she failed to receive proper medical care. She has only gotten worse. Currently, she's been having terrible heat flashes, suffering from extreme fatigue, and terrible pain due to an inability to absorb iron. And since we cant afford the treatment, she will have to continue enduring this terrible feeling until we raise enough money to help her.
    She is one of the most amazing people I have ever met or ever will. But this has been a huge part of my life and sadly, quite normal to me. But yesterday, I went to a fundraiser for a police officer (a good friend of my fathers), who's life I can see slowly draining from his once animated body. He has cancer. Over all, the event raised 50 thousand dollars. This is only half the money he needs. I cant bare to see such a noble, wonderful person waste away like that. Then, I found out that the wife of a member of one of the bands that has always been such an inspiration to me was diagnosed with breast cancer. And, the more I thought about it, the more I noticed the people who had suffered from illness that I had never really paid much attention to.
    What finally shattered my heart, was finding out that an amazing childhood friend of mine was admitted to the hospital and was expected to die in less than a year.
    I'm writing this now with tears pouring down my cheeks because I know that there are so many people out there that cant be saved. But maybe, the few of you reading this thread can help me make a difference.
    I want to make a thread where we can discuss ideas for fundraisers and ways to donate our help to the poor people who are having trouble helping themselves. I have so many ideas and so many ways we can all pitch in to help, and I'm sure a lot of you do too. Here are a couple of mine:

1. If you are a professional mermaid, you can make organizations such as Make a Wish foundation aware of your services. A dying little girl could want nothing more than to swim with or meet a beautiful mermaid before she dies. It wont take up much of your time, and it certainly wont hurt you. Although, lots of children with weak immune systems are allergic to latex, so those tails may be out of the picture.
    2. If you own any sort of business, tail making or not, you can create a time period in which some the money you receive for your services are donated to any foundation for the sick and unwell. It may take some money from you, but it certainly is worth it.
    3. If you can think of any ideas to start an organization with any of the people on Mernetwork or elsewhere, SHARE IT. I'm sure if we all put our fins together, we can come up with something amazing.

These are only a few of my ideas and I really want for us to share ideas with each other. SO PLEASE, comment your ideas and talk about all the little things we could do to save lives and make the lives of sick people more enjoyable for them.

I cant wait to read all of your ideas!
    Your completely bonkers! But Ill tell you a secret, all the best people are.

I love this. I did this as a pageant girl for Children's Miracle Network and would love to do something here as well as a mermaid. :-)
    "It is your choice to hide in a shell, or to be shrimply fintastic by being yourself"
    www.mermaidharmony.com
    MermaidHarmony@gmail.com Facebook:Mermaid Harmony Twitter: @MermaidHarmony

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Make a wish helped me when I was seriously sick as a kid. So I donate a lot of Mer time to them every year. I know first hand.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod MermaidIsis's Avatar
    I'm so glad they helped you. The people there are really amazing. Just last week I offered to face paint at a part for a little girl who wanted a dance party with the minions from that movie (I cannot remember the name for the life of me), but she was too sick to leave the hospital. They worked something out, of course, but isn't that just heart breaking? The girl passed away a few days ago. I just wish I could have helped more,
    Your completely bonkers! But Ill tell you a secret, all the best people are.