Views: 315
Size:  267 BytesName:  tumblr_inline_mv8d07y6i21qid2nw.gif
Views: 326
Size:  244 BytesName:  tumblr_inline_mv8d01nlac1qid2nw.gif
Views: 317
Size:  259 BytesName:  tumblr_inline_mv8d09pzLy1qid2nw.gif
Views: 322
Size:  277 Bytes - finale

So I planned on finishing this like 2 days ago but whoops. I went shopping yesterday and bought a ton of good stuff, though! Name:  tumblr_inline_mpoqj4ELKK1qz4rgp.gif
Views: 301
Size:  1.1 KB I also ran out of white thread so that was a hindrance.
    The progress I made: I put a hem on the top (I don't think that was necessary but I feel uncomfortable with raw edges ugh) and then I sewed my monofin in place. What I did for the, was put on my tail and line up where the fin would be if I were wearing it, then pencil along the sides. I also sewed a little around the corner, so I could keep my monofin in place, but be able to remove it while I worked on other things.
    Name:  CAM00481[1].jpg
Views: 332
Size:  421.2 KB
    I decided the fluke looked stupid and floppy, so I bought some polythylene tubing (mines a little less than an inch in diameter) and sewed little pockets to put them in. The problem was, it was really curved in the circular shape, so the areas that point outwards were getting all weird and flippy, so I cut it off just about where my fin ended. Now the top is floppy, but oh well. Name:  tumblr_inline_mpoqjnGemE1qz4rgp.gif
Views: 319
Size:  1.0 KB
    Name:  CAM00480.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  460.5 KB
    I close odd the ends of the pocket. Then I stuck my monofin back in, and glued down the edge just to be secure. Then, I sewed around the bottom, leaving symmetrical vents. It's kind of not symmetrical flop wise Name:  tumblr_inline_mpoqjdCydg1qz4rgp.gif
Views: 314
Size:  2.5 KB fml but it's not really a big deal in the end.
    Name:  CAM00482.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  425.8 KB

mermaid akiko

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Fifi Tigg's Avatar
    Add Fifi Tigg on Facebook
    Follow Fifi Tigg on Flickr Visit Fifi Tigg's Youtube Channel
    Fintastic
    http://make animated gifs like this at MakeaGif

Great progress!

Mermaid Galene (pronounced Guh-LEE-nee)

Mermaid Galene Web• Neptune's Keep Web• Facebook•MG YouTube•NK YouTube•Etsy Shop

Neptune's Keep makes music with fish. Fish have hidden depths!

Senior Member Euro Pod Mermaid Mhara's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Mhara on Facebook
    I'm loving this one!! Really looking forward to seeing the end result

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Ooo! Looking gorgeous!

Was there a reason why you didn't draw up the pattern in two sides rather than four separate pieces?

Quote Originally Posted by Fifi Tigg View Post
    Fintastic
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Galene View Post
    Great progress!
    Quote Originally Posted by Merman Vaughan View Post
    I'm loving this one!! Really looking forward to seeing the end result
    Thank you everyone! Your nice comments are such motivation. Name:  tumblr_m5b28fGOAX1qid2nw.gif
Views: 304
Size:  1.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ireneho View Post
    Ooo! Looking gorgeous!

Was there a reason why you didn't draw up the pattern in two sides rather than four separate pieces?
    Thank you! It's because it wouldn't fit on the neoprene sheet any other way. I guess I'm too tall. Erk.

mermaid akiko

YOOO so I finished my tail.
    Name:  CAM00546 (768x1024).jpg
Views: 295
Size:  443.7 KB
    Haha kill me look at that fluke it's like the mermaid version of Lumpy Space Princess Name:  tumblr_static_1thhe3kz07gkokkwkswckkcos.gif
Views: 283
Size:  48.7 KB
    So I kind of knew it was going to end up like that, and I was really stressed, but I asked my mom, and she said yeah it didn't look awesome, but it was my first try so I shouldn't be so angry about it. I suppose she's right. I finished last night, and this morning, I gave my tail a little pressure hosing to get the excess glitter and dirt and little latex chunks off. Other than my awful fluke, I think it looks pretty okay! Name:  tumblr_m7eg6xl0TB1qdlkyg.gif
Views: 274
Size:  1.9 KB The last time I tried it on was when it was only neoprene, so I'm looking forward to getting it on now. I'm heading to my friend's house today for an event, and I asked if I could use her pool, so I should be testing my tail out today as well!
    While it's drying, I figured I'd write up the rest of my progress. I didn't really take a lot of pictures, unfortunately, because I was so pissed about how this was going (I strayed so far from the original tutorial)
    Here we go! Name:  tumblr_m7eg7z2UmN1qdlkyg.gif
Views: 275
Size:  1.4 KB

mermaid akiko

Name:  tumblr_inline_mv8d04bWde1qid2nw.gif
Views: 279
Size:  245 BytesName:  tumblr_inline_mv8czjZW6b1qid2nw.gif
Views: 278
Size:  253 BytesName:  tumblr_inline_mv8czrTebI1qid2nw.gif
Views: 265
Size:  246 BytesName:  tumblr_inline_mv8czfZc4A1qid2nw.gif
Views: 304
Size:  251 BytesName:  tumblr_inline_mv8czn0eki1qid2nw.gif
Views: 287
Size:  243 Bytes

To pigment my latex, I made a cup of a watered down acrylic mix at a certain ratio that I could recreate (one tbs of water, purple, and white. I got these measurements by pouring one tbs of water at a time into a plastic cup and making a mark on the cup where the water hit, then adding another tbs, etc.)
    Name:  CAM00506.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  435.1 KB
    So I also asked my chemistry teacher for a pipette, and and used it to measure 75 drops of paint to each 1/4 cup of latex. I just tested the amount until I liked the color, basically.
    The tutorials all say to do a base coat. Cool.
    Name:  CAM00507.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  613.1 KB
    I did that. I used about a half cup on each side of the scales, and a half cup on each side of the fluke. I just smoothed it on with a plastic spoon. I love how easy it is to clean latex! I just let it dry, then peeled it off my plastic cups and spoons. so easy and cool, less waste. I let the one side dry, then did the other. Cool, I love following directions. Name:  tumblr_m7eg7tOj971qdlkyg.gif
Views: 272
Size:  1.2 KB

JK!!! EFF THE POLICE Next step was to put down a heavy layer of latex, and put down a metal grate or fishing net, but I couldn't find an okay grate, they were all like hella fancy and unusable, and the idea of fishing netting didn't really appeal to me so I got... poultry fencing.
    Name:  CAM00498.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  394.9 KB
    Yeah that's right 25 feet of plastic chicken fencing. It actually creates a pretty nice pattern, imo, though. problem was, it curved up on the sides because it was in a roll, and the tail was already not level because of the seams from sewing and stuff, so it basically would not stay down. The first side, I just held it into the latex with mason jars and my own hands until it dried enough, and the fencing would stick on the entire surface (would have been a lot easier if I had sewn second, but oh well). Name:  tumblr_m7eg7peBna1qdlkyg.gif
Size:  1.7 KB
    Name:  CAM00519 (768x1024).jpg
Views: 292
Size:  366.9 KB
    That was really dumb and time consuming. The second time around, which I heavily recommend for those in the same boat I got out my mom's hair dryer and just heated the plastic enough that it could be warped into the shape needed. Wow.
    After the plastic had finally stuck to the latex, I realized that it wouldn't give me all the depth I wanted, so I spooned over another layer of latex, and just covered the whole thing, trying to keep the least latex on the fencing as I could. I used my hands. The tutorial said to get a latex thickener, so the slip cast latex is as thick as caulking but I mean like?? I just decided to not do that. Maybe I should have. So meaning when I pulled the fencing off (I did tests, of course) the latex would just settle and be flat again, and if I waited longer, it would just form a skin on top of the grate, and when I pulled it off, the texture would also come off, leaving the flat, uncured latex underneath. So the only solution was to let it fully cure with the fencing on it, then pull off the fencing. Then you got pretty scales!
    Name:  CAM00512.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  499.4 KB
    Actually, not really, since the latex was also on the fencing, when I took off the fencing, the latex that was on top of it stayed on the tail, and I had to clean the scales up, But it was okay.
    To do the fluke, I just poured latex on it and spread it around with a crappy paint brush. Worked like a charm for texture, too bad the fluke is so awful.
    Name:  CAM00531 (768x1024).jpg
Views: 299
Size:  319.6 KB
    I sewed my monofin in, since I just don't trust glue, but now it's super obvious and weird and I regret it so hard. AHghhg it's okay though. Name:  tumblr_m7eg85YqQK1qdlkyg.gif
Size:  1.4 KB
    I also sprinkled glitter on the wet latex. I realized mixing it in just made it lumpy, since latex is actually pretty opaque. I love glitter! I didn't really want a pearly effect. I wanted like a freaking barbie princess tail. It worked out pretty well with the glitter! It actually sticks well. I hosed it down on a heavy pressure and scrubbed it to get the excess off, so what stayed stays. I wish I had a sealer just for security but eh I leave on a long vacation soon, so that would be impractical to order now.
    I think that's it. I screwed up a lot. But it's my first time, so after being really angry with myself, I'm cutting myself some slack. If anyone has any questions, I am the trial and error expert at this now! Mostly the error part. Thanks everyone! Name:  tumblr_m7eg8inMIc1qdlkyg.gif
Views: 276
Size:  2.6 KB

mermaid akiko

AMAZING JOB! *w*
    (Formerly known as Mermaid Claudia)

I think it turned out really well! Congrats! If you wanted to de-emphasize the monofin hump, you could paint shadow and highlights on the fluke in a way that would mask the monofin's shape.

Mermaid Galene (pronounced Guh-LEE-nee)

Mermaid Galene Web• Neptune's Keep Web• Facebook•MG YouTube•NK YouTube•Etsy Shop

Neptune's Keep makes music with fish. Fish have hidden depths!

SO UPDATE I can't even get my tail on Name:  pic25.gif
Views: 279
Size:  1.1 KB cries
    I looked it up: I rolled it down, put one foot in, then the other, cool, pulled it up, had a really hard time getting the wrinkles out of my ankles, but got it to look acceptable, kept rolling it up, but I could only get it to like halfway over my ass, and definitely way too close to my crotch. What's annoying is that I could see the wrinkle of extra material around my thighs, I know it's long enough to fit over me, but I guess it's too tight to pull up, I could not get it any higher no matter how I pulled or rolled, I even stood up in attempt to pull it up, but it didn't budge. I was kind of devastated a lot. Hrgghhh Name:  pic14.gif
Views: 266
Size:  588 Bytes I hope these sad hamster gifs will illustrate how disappointed I am in my judgement. But it's really not the end of the world, I'm thinking of picking up some lube at target to try and maybe help? And if that doesn't work, I'll sell my tail to someone who's okay with having things that look bad for cheap, and use the money to help start a new one. Lesson learned here, kids, is that latex prevents some of the stretch in neoprene, so don't get too preoccupied in the fitting, in fact, PAINT YOUR NEOPRENE WHILE IT'S FLAT AND SEW IT LATER seriously you will be a sad hamster like me.
    Thanks everyone for your kind comments! This has been quite the experience.

mermaid akiko

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Fifi Tigg's Avatar
    Add Fifi Tigg on Facebook
    Follow Fifi Tigg on Flickr Visit Fifi Tigg's Youtube Channel
    Lubrication will work
    We have quite a few tails just like yours that you think it will never fit over the bootay but with some wriggling for 5-10 mins and lubrication it will go over eventually
    http://make animated gifs like this at MakeaGif

Have you tried pulling it on again?

Erkk sorry it's been a while. I'm on vacation for a month, and I couldn't bring my tail. But yes, I got it mostly on! I determined that I accounted for too much stretch from the neoprene, when the latex did not stretch as far. So I'm like mersagging right now. My friends call me the straight white boy mermaid. But that's okay, I can swim in it just fine, if not easier than normal, the monofin is really powerful, dang. So basically, I should have fit it after I latexed it. Would have looked better, too. I plan on making another one soon! I think the latex on neoprene method may look less realistic, but it's very reliable and simple, and only cost me ~$300, with a lot of leftover latex.

The same thing happened to me and I was so upset I cried for like three days. I had to toss it because it was seamed so tigjt from the latex. Im now doing each side separately.

formerly jayy
    cats cats cats...whats up with those things?

Formerly known as jayy