Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: chicago ??

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes Sabrina the Selkie's Avatar
    Chicago (brrrrr... warm up already, lake!)
    Almost got there, and something came up. *sigh*
    Glad you had a nice swim, though!

So is this the place to ask if anyone knows mer-friendly pools in the Chicago area? In particular north of the city? I am in that region visiting family and the only pools I could find specifically state no fins or flippers of any kind. Failing that, mer-friendly beaches would be good to know about as well.

Fancy a cup of mermaid tea?

All of the beaches are Mer-friendly. My advice: don't even ask. Just get in your tail and butt scoot in. They'll be nervous abouy liability when you ask, but if they see you in the water they will be both charmed and reassured by your prowess in the water.

As for pools, I usually swim at my local Y in the western burbs, but you could probably talk to pool management personally. They tend to treat tails a little differently than they do fins.

Ah, okay. No tail yet, but since I won't be back until probably next summer or maybe for Christmas, I can try again then.

I did talk to the manager at the pool my cousins go to and was shocked by her answer. She said they had allowed tails two years ago and had gotten practically overrun with them! So due to "risk assessment" reasons they banned them (along with fins, noodles, snorkels, water wings, and showering nude.) Then she suggested if I wanted to use my fin, I could try a hotel pool because there wouldn't be lifeguards. I really do not understand the logic behind that. Gonna post my story in the thread about tail banning as well.

Fancy a cup of mermaid tea?

If there are any mermaids in the Schaumburg area, I know that the Water Works in Schaumburg allows fins at least. I have been there several time and I've gotten a lot of looks but no one has told me they weren't allowed. As for a full tail, I'm not sure since I haven't tried it out yet. I will respond with my findings if I am able to try out my tail soon.

I am in Arlington heights are so not far at all

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Naga View Post
    If there are any mermaids in the Schaumburg area, I know that the Water Works in Schaumburg allows fins at least. I have been there several time and I've gotten a lot of looks but no one has told me they weren't allowed. As for a full tail, I'm not sure since I haven't tried it out yet. I will respond with my findings if I am able to try out my tail soon.

It would be great to have someone to swim with! Do you have a place indoors that you go to?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I havnt even had chance to wear my tail yet been trying to find someone I can show it to to see if it is swimmable

I'm just going to try mine in a pool once it's finished.

wow very cool I been shy and havnt gone to a pool yet.

merstorm

I find it's easier to go with someone or when there are very few people during the day.

I am up for it been so nice out don't want winter

I know! I don't want it to be winter either. But it would be great to meet up with you sometime!

We should try to make a deal with one of the hotels downtown, like letting us swim there in exchange for the fact that they can say the have mermaids in the pool or something.

It would give us a good spot for a winter meet up.

That would be amazing! I'm there!

I love to hang out

Hi everyone I live in Northwest, IN. Precisely Hobart. Just wondering how to get the waves crashing for a tail. Any advice would be great!

It's cold out brrr where are the mermaids still haven't gone for a swim yet

Swimming at the Y

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina the Selkie View Post
    All of the beaches are Mer-friendly. My advice: don't even ask. Just get in your tail and butt scoot in. They'll be nervous abouy liability when you ask, but if they see you in the water they will be both charmed and reassured by your prowess in the water.

As for pools, I usually swim at my local Y in the western burbs, but you could probably talk to pool management personally. They tend to treat tails a little differently than they do fins.
    Which Y allows that? I tried asking the aquatic directors of the ones in Des Plaines and Palatine in my neck of the woods and got resounding NO from both of them