Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: asked to cover up?

asked to cover up?

I have a gig this weekend and they just informed me that I should probably wear a once piece bathing suit with my tail, b/c the branch manager is concerned I will be too sexy for all the men there. (her words) LOL. Members can wear a 2 piece, but lifeguards wear a one piece and compared me to that. I can understand to a point, but I would think when someone is hiring a professional mermaid entertainer they would be okay with a bra top esp at a pool gig? Has anyone had this happen before? How easy or hard is it with a silicone tail? I am worry that it has no skin to cling too and would slip down? thoughts?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    That happens to me when I do work for the children's hospitals.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I just wear a decorated tank top

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Thanks! I heard back from them and I sent them a photo of my tail/top. Once I told her it came up past my belly button she thought it would be fine

just wear an old sail a-la-Ariel :P OR if they're that concerned with breast exposure maybe they shouldn't get a mermaid. durrrr. (insert long ass rant about boob exposure, men, and rape culture here)
    The SeaGlass Siren

I thought the same thing...

Quote Originally Posted by SeaGlass Siren View Post
    just wear an old sail a-la-Ariel :P OR if they're that concerned with breast exposure maybe they shouldn't get a mermaid. durrrr. (insert long ass rant about boob exposure, men, and rape culture here)

great minds think alike
    The SeaGlass Siren

For darn sure!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by SeaGlass Siren View Post
    great minds think alike

Quote Originally Posted by shimmygoddess View Post
    informed me that I should probably wear a once piece bathing suit with my tail, b/c the branch manager is concerned I will be too sexy for all the men there.
    Because, you know, grown men cannot control their own thoughts and actions (or be held accountable for them) and we should instead shame a woman about showing her body and put the blame back on her instead.

~*~ To Thine Own Mermaid Be True ~*~
    ~~~ Follow me on Facebook: Merlissa the Mermaid~~~
    Deviant Art Etsy Store YouTube Mermaid Blog Instagram

^ that. Like , so much.
    The SeaGlass Siren

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    This is where I am thankful that I am a recreational merman. After all, swimming in a cod-piece is just uncomfortable!

Mind you, it wasn't that long ago that beachwear for Drylanders covered the body from head to toe.
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Orca View Post
    Because, you know, grown men cannot control their own thoughts and actions (or be held accountable for them) and we should instead shame a woman about showing her body and put the blame back on her instead.

Well said, mersisters!

Mermaid Galene (pronounced Guh-LEE-nee)

Mermaid Galene WebNeptune's Keep WebFacebookMG YouTubeNK YouTubeEtsy Shop

Neptune's Keep makes music with fish. Fish have hidden depths!

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Fun123joker's Avatar

Follow Fun123joker on Tumblr
    ok but flirting with the party entertainment i find creepy. maybe outside of the party you can but just O.o

gif. from Free! Eternal summer ending
    ・゚: *✧・゚:* \(◕ω◕✿)/ *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Orca View Post
    Well said, Little Orca! I thought the same thing. I met with the organizers too and we talked about this. She was laughing about it when she called me and left a message, like she thought it was absurd, but that it was coming from higher up and they had to follow through. I find it funny, b/c we are members there in the Summer and I see what types of bathing suits woman wear and for them to say 'I' would be too sexy covered in my tail and top makes me laugh. We got it all sorted out though, and now thanks to Raina's advice, I am going to decorate a tank top just in case I run into this issue again

Fun123joker, yes flirting with the entertainment is creepy. You have to remain professional at all times. I have had this happen alot while I am bellydancing, I just try and put some distance b/t me and the ones trying to grind. LOL . I will always bring up the fact my husband is a musician and people usually back off

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    I am reminded of the news story regarding a 17-year-old girl who was asked to leave her prom because "some of the dads chaperoning the event for home-schooled teens thought her dancing would give the boys "impure thoughts." "
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Fun123joker's Avatar

Follow Fun123joker on Tumblr
    i saw that too. but i think it wasnt the dancing i thought it was her dress

gif. from Free! Eternal summer ending
    ・゚: *✧・゚:* \(◕ω◕✿)/ *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Oh my. That article kind of cracks me up, because I have seen girls wearing less to class. :/ Like, I am not even sure how they sit down in their short skirts. I was never that coordinated, that's for sure! :P

yeah we had an issue locally where a school changed the dress code so girls coulnt wear shorts at all literally on record because they distracted the boys -_-

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

*Sighs loudly* Cod clamit. It's really frustrating when I see ship like this. Hey, here's a crazy idea: why not just teach people not to oversexualize completely normal parts of the human body??? Women have legs and shoulders and bellies? Gasp! We can't let boys see those, because then they'll just lose control over their hormones like a glubbing werewolf and we can't hold them responsible for their actions because they have such promising futures and we can't destroy that! We'll just have to impose ridiculous dress codes on women that permeate into society to the point were depending on her body type, it'll be scandalous for her to take a step outside of her home in shorts that are shorter than her fingertips and a tank top! Problem solved! That plan'll obviously have no ill effects on society in general!

There's a reason I tend to layer up on sports bras aside from convenience. When I'm wearing a normal bra and a tank top, I'm constantly afraid that someone'll see the edge of the side of my bra and I'll get berated for it. I'm constantly torn between not giving a ship and being hyper aware of what other people think of me, and it's tiring.
    ~Mermaid Sashika of Yupalean~