Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: asked to cover up?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Chesapeake Pod
    While we are on the subject of imposing ridiculous dress codes upon women, my school forbids any form of shoulder bearing. No spaghetti straps, no tank tops, not even a really thick strapped tank top. Their explanation for this.. 'You have to keep your shoulders covered up, they might turn someone on.' *facepalm* Because my shoulders are soooo sexy!

In all honesty, really anything could turn someone on. I know a guy who likes ears. What would we do about that? Cover up our ears?! lol
    "Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward."

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Saphira View Post
    While we are on the subject of imposing ridiculous dress codes upon women, my school forbids any form of shoulder bearing. No spaghetti straps, no tank tops, not even a really thick strapped tank top. Their explanation for this.. 'You have to keep your shoulders covered up, they might turn someone on.' *facepalm* Because my shoulders are soooo sexy!

In all honesty, really anything could turn someone on. I know a guy who likes ears. What would we do about that? Cover up our ears?! lol
    Yeah, I probably drive foot-fetish people crazy, I'm either in flip flops or barefoot all the time.
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

It's just really stupid. And guys? They're never told to cover up. No one seems concerned with the fact that if a girl's shoulders can turn a guy on, a guy's shoulders can turn a girl on.

Sent from my shellphone using Tapatalk 2
    ~Mermaid Sashika of Yupalean~

Women have come a long way, baby, but many men in this country have such a long way to go. So many are still locked in a 19th century misogynistic mentality. They are so threatened by women who are smart and strong and comfortable in their own skins.

Mermaid Galene (pronounced Guh-LEE-nee)

Mermaid Galene WebNeptune's Keep WebFacebookMG YouTubeNK YouTubeEtsy Shop

Neptune's Keep makes music with fish. Fish have hidden depths!

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    You guys think you have it bad?
    Over here, the feds are catering to our nice muslim friends right, left and center.

During school swimming courses, some girls are only allowed into the pool wearing a "burkini" (a burka designed for swimming- nevermind the hygiene problems with that...), although that's considered very modern and tolerant, as muslim women are not supposed to go swimming at all

Sadly, the times where women were not allowed leave the house without a male owner (and only covered from head to toe in a fabric sheet) are not things of the distant past :/
    Last edited by Echidna; 05-26-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Well the burka is very frequently the woman's religious choice as well as the hijab and other forms of veil. The fact that they made a swimsuit burka sounds more like an advancement to me. Kindof like the nail polish that is water permeable so that Muslim woman can wear it during prayer. Ultimately if the woman wants to be completely covered it's her choice just as much as it is my choice to wear minimal clothing. A problem arises when a woman is FORCED to wear the burka or another, but that isn't a problem with religious covering, that's a problem with the men who are forcing her into something she doesn't want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Well, it's time to take a stand and refuse to cowtow to the attempts to shame us into submission because men have a problem with being able to see our bodies! It isn't OUR problem, it's THEIRS!

I don't understand why women, especially young women, just roll over and allow men governance over their bodies, and what we can and cannot do with them!

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by MerHopefully View Post
    Well the burka is very frequently the woman's religious choice as well as the hijab and other forms of veil. Ultimately if the woman wants to be completely covered it's her choice just as much as it is my choice to wear minimal clothing.
    While this is true, something that's voluntary at first becomes mandatory at a certain point once it's widespread and common enough.

During my time in Egypt, I didn't see a single woman swimming, they were standing covered head to toe in thick black fabric in the desert sun while their (male) family members were having fun time in the Red Sea.

That couldn't have been very voluntary, more like "my husband and family expect me not to swim and stand here as a walking fabric sheet, so I'll do it".

And while one could probably go "meh, other country, their business", I mentioned it because these customs spread now in other, non-muslim countries too, and begin to influence our lives whether we want it or not- like the pool in Cologne, which from one day to the next allowed only men to enter, and every woman/girl that used to go there for a swim had to look for a new pool.

This reminds me about how I just wore a crop top to my graduation/ 18th birthday party and my dad threw a fit. All he talked about was how I was out of school for only 2 days and I was already dressing like a hoochi (sp?) But yet my brother could walk around without a shirt on?

(I'm in the green)

Or that one time I wore a form fitting dress to school and the principle pulled me aside and told me that it was inappropriate for school since It was so form fitting. (but then thing is, I've seen other girls wearing form fitting dresses too! and most of them shorter than mine and I was the only one who got pulled aside!)

Quote Originally Posted by draggersprez View Post
    This reminds me about how I just wore a crop top to my graduation/ 18th birthday party and my dad threw a fit. All he talked about was how I was out of school for only 2 days and I was already dressing like a hoochi (sp?) But yet my brother could walk around without a shirt on?

(I'm in the green)

Or that one time I wore a form fitting dress to school and the principle pulled me aside and told me that it was inappropriate for school since It was so form fitting. (but then thing is, I've seen other girls wearing form fitting dresses too! and most of them shorter than mine and I was the only one who got pulled aside!)
    1) your dad is illogical.

2) your principal is racist. probably. seriously YOU were the only one who got pulled aside??
    The SeaGlass Siren

also! THAT DRESS IS SO CUTE I LOVE THE COLOR OMG
    The SeaGlass Siren

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaGlass Siren View Post
    your principal is racist. probably. seriously YOU were the only one who got pulled aside??
    maybe the others didn't look as good?

but yep, both the top and the dress are fine.

loosely quoting beyonce here.

she a groooowwwn woman! she can do what ever she wants.
    The SeaGlass Siren

The others are on track but I wanted to add that you look great in BOTH pictures. Your hair is adorable in the second especially!

Senior Member Euro Pod Mermaid Mhara's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Mhara on Facebook
    I don't know if it's because I'm gay or perhaps the way I was raised...but I never saw an issue with ANYTHING a woman wears. In my opinion, a woman can walk around wearing a dress which covers her ears to her toes, or just a pair of bikini bottoms and nothing else and it SHOULD be fine.

The way I always saw it, was that if men can walk around in speedo's and get no flack what so ever...why can't a woman go bra-less? Nipples are nipples...the difference? One has the capability of making life nourishing milk the other doesn't.

I remember a situation in a campsite when I was 13, it was HOT, and there were boys walking around with no shirts on, and girls in bikini's. One girl was in shorts and nothing else, alas she was only about 9 so very flat chested. The parents around the campsite made a HUGE fuss about how her parents should be ashamed of themselves for allowing it. I was 13...and I was already thinking 'WHAT.'
    She looked no different to the pre-pubescent boys running around...and so long as she was safe where's the harm?

I honestly don't get it, I mean...I'll admit, if a hot guy was walking down the street in nothing but tight shorts, showing off his pecks...then yes...I would look and admire silently, but I have the self control to not follow him, stalk him and rape him for that reason.

I think society needs to learn that to have full equality we need to realise girls have body parts and men SHOULD have a decent amount of self control to keep it to themselves if they do decide to admire. And we need to be teaching people that wearing next to nothing does not equal a neon sign saying 'I want penis in me'.

I'm in a ranty mood. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Vaughan View Post
    I don't know if it's because I'm gay or perhaps the way I was raised...but I never saw an issue with ANYTHING a woman wears. In my opinion, a woman can walk around wearing a dress which covers her ears to her toes, or just a pair of bikini bottoms and nothing else and it SHOULD be fine.

The way I always saw it, was that if men can walk around in speedo's and get no flack what so ever...why can't a woman go bra-less? Nipples are nipples...the difference? One has the capability of making life nourishing milk the other doesn't.

I remember a situation in a campsite when I was 13, it was HOT, and there were boys walking around with no shirts on, and girls in bikini's. One girl was in shorts and nothing else, alas she was only about 9 so very flat chested. The parents around the campsite made a HUGE fuss about how her parents should be ashamed of themselves for allowing it. I was 13...and I was already thinking 'WHAT.'
    She looked no different to the pre-pubescent boys running around...and so long as she was safe where's the harm?

I honestly don't get it, I mean...I'll admit, if a hot guy was walking down the street in nothing but tight shorts, showing off his pecks...then yes...I would look and admire silently, but I have the self control to not follow him, stalk him and rape him for that reason.

I think society needs to learn that to have full equality we need to realise girls have body parts and men SHOULD have a decent amount of self control to keep it to themselves if they do decide to admire. And we need to be teaching people that wearing next to nothing does not equal a neon sign saying 'I want penis in me'.

I'm in a ranty mood. Ugh.
    Yes, this exactly. It alway cracks me up how some people think boobs are a sexual organ. They are literally just baby-feeding-lumps-of-chest-fat. I think at one point in time (and possibly still now) there was a facebook page dedicated to stopping breast feeding because "sexal body parts should not be in babies' mouths." I nearly died laughing at it before I saw how many people had liked it.

Totally agree with everyone above...just wanted to give an update, that my gig went very well this morning. I was talking to one of the employees as they wheeled me out and he said it was the branch manager that was concerned...and was afraid he would get fired and didn't know if this was even allowed...they all told him, it would be fine and not to stress.. ( It was at a local YMCA) Was there about 2 hours and they kids loved it and were full of questions...

That's great! Glad it worked out.

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sashiyoop View Post
    I think at one point in time (and possibly still now) there was a facebook page dedicated to stopping breast feeding because "sexal body parts should not be in babies' mouths." I nearly died laughing at it before I saw how many people had liked it.
    Wha.... I just....GAH!...I think my brain just exploded....

And as for the original reason for this thread, I'm glad your gig went well, shimmygoddess.
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

A lot of things about society make me angry nowadays. I miss the days when I was little and none of it mattered. :/