Thread: Abalone Top Questions!

Abalone Top Questions!

I was inspired by Ionas beautiful top she made, but I want to make everything I wear, except the tail, so I can add and remove things and give it my personal style. Maybe a Merbellas top one day.. but that's the only stuff I might buy. I also am going to be buying a 5.5 inch resin megaladon tooth, so I can make a choker sort of thing.
    Any tips for keeping the shells in good shape, or anything directed towards top making in general? I have a bandeau sorta thing downstairs on a bust right now to start sewing plants onto for a 'seaweed' tube top sorta thing.

I heard someone coated their shells in craft/epoxy clear resin...might be an idea to do some Googling on that, but I'm pretty sure someone tried that?

Epoxy resin is good for clear coating them. I didn't on mine because I thought they were strong enough, and a corner on one of mine chipped off :/ I use Clear Cast epoxy resin from Michaels for my abalone coating. I wrote a few tips on the Accessory Making FAQ about tops and such, including what to look for in a bra and what glues to use

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

I used Clear Cast on my abalones, both white and Paua shells. It really does make them a lot stronger and quite shiny.

Mermaid Galene (pronounced Guh-LEE-nee)

Mermaid Galene WebNeptune's Keep WebFacebookMG YouTubeNK YouTubeEtsy Shop

Neptune's Keep makes music with fish. Fish have hidden depths!

Thanks so much! I really want to get some real progress on either one of these tops by the end of the month. I have a Michaels in my area, so I can easily drop in and get some stuff I may need and the resin. Ahh! I just have to think of what I'm going to do. This is going to be my fancier top.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Ashton's Avatar
    Add Ashton on Facebook Add Ashton on Google+
    Follow Ashton on Tumblr Visit Ashton's Youtube Channel
    Where did you get your shell? it looks really nice.