Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Standard Monofin tail vs an extended tail ( H2o & Splash )

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    I have no experience with silicone. What part will be the tricky part?
    One thing that I can see that can be tricky is the gap between the toes of the shoes and the fluke. Even with cloth tails, that is an issue. As the fabric works, some slack gets into that area and starts flapping about. To deal with the issue, I made this fairing out of neoprene:
    Name:  fairing.jpg
Views: 1143
Size:  197.5 KB
    The picture I posted above (post #55) of the complete tail has the fairing in place. Its attached with Velcro patches, each located where the black Sharpie marks are on the neoprene, and stretched tight. It does a good job supporting the fabric, and stood up to a test swim. But, half way through making it, it occurred to me that I could have made the fairing larger, allowing me to fit it round the entire shoe. That would eliminate the Velcro on the shoe, and cover all the shoe straps and shoe-to-monofin attachment plate as well. More neoprene is on order.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Quote Originally Posted by RNHime View Post
    For most people that enjoy tail or monofin swimming it's about the effortless speed and ease of use. Extended tails are generally the opposite of that. It's definitely a matter of preference, perhaps someone really only wants to gently paddle around or lounge for amazing photos. If so, that's cool! But it can be hard to remember for the rest of us who want/need to have a practical, speedy tail. Also, a lot of the people who are interested in an extended tail are going by what is portrayed in the media. It's kind of a knee-jerk reaction to immediately point out how difficult (and way more expensive!) an extended tail is to make and use. And generally once people see that obstacle they opt for a "short" tail or regular monofin. It's definitely best to practice in a standard fin before going for extended, anyway.

I think the fact that no one has a swimmable extended tail for personal use speaks volumes. (If someone did make one, please correct me & share it!)

Just my personal observation. I definitely fall into the maneuverability-and-speed before all else camp. I'm not saying that the form-before-function camp is wrong, just that it's hard to wrap my brain around why someone wouldn't want to be the more fast & graceful fish in the pond. (Purely my opinion but I think standard length is way more graceful - I've never seen anyone in an extended tail do a backflip, for example. Biggest "trick" I can remember on H2O was a corkscrew move... I think extended tails are very clunky in reality. It would be amazing to see a truly functional one, though!!)
    Actually this girl made one, the mking off its in 9 parts ad the quality of the video its really bad but its cool to see comeone made a tail like this!!!

Senior Member Pod of Cali MarkF's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Merman Alex View Post
    Good find Alex, now we need to see her learn to use it.

Alex send her a message and invite her to the group.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
    I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.
    It really upsets dull people!

Création Sirène made one!!! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCXeS0vlrfvEsvBBshqGFl8w it is like... a dream tail...but so expensive Xc I really want to know how she does it!!