Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 4th of July Tail

Last update tonight before I pass out. Too tired to keep going. Been at it since 5:30am.

*thud*

Almost finished. The red lines that you see on the white fins are where rhinestones are going to go.

And here's pics of the details while I had the tail and monofin on.

Front...

Backside...

Ok my eyes are burning, my fingers are sore and I'm feeling a bit dizzy so this mer is going to go crawl into her seaweed bed for the night.

Thank you again everyone for all your encouraging words! You were my energy boosts today! <3

Holy CARP that looks incredible! (And I have GOT to know where you got that scale fabric, it's gorgeous!)

I'm using the same fabric ATM. It's from joann. They also have hot pink, gold and purple.

Woke up a bit later then I would have like but I was super tired when I passed out so I'm not surprised that I did. Anyways here's the progress.

I fixed the STRAP ON *ahem* (@ PearlieMae ) the mono, inserted it into the tail and sewn that sucker in there then started on the red rhinestone striping.

I still kind of feel like something is missing.

Maybe if you have enough sequins outlining the red on the fluke would make it more complete?

I was thinking that too but I don't think I have enough red sequins to do that and what I have planned for the top and with time running out on me pretty quickly, I won't have time to hunt for more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If that's the case then I wouldn't worry too much about it. Your tail is gorgeous already.

Its looking Amazing!!
    I looked on Joann's website but i couldn't find the fabric.

I got mine in the Performance / Swim Wear section, if that helps.

I didn't see it online either. There is a 50% coupon floating around so if snag that if you're going to buy. This fabric is $16.99/yard.

Thanks you
    i hope the tails coming good.

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    I would put some scattered red sparkles in the empty spaces in the fluke maybe orr..... Hm idk

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    I was thinking clusters (more of a dusting) of pearls (half pearls) near the fluke between the veins...know what I mean?

Someone else has a velvet tail and she said sealskin, too (look around Plus Sized Mers discussions)...

SO it's finished though...I don't know.

Ugh, I hate when I do this to myself. I start overly analyzing projects when they are finished or near finished and then I start thinking that it's not good enough and I totally could have done a better job. I do this with eeeeeeverything from artwork to costumes. My hubby has saved MANY projects from getting throw away, taken apart or put in a shredder from me!

I don't know maybe it's the drive in me to always improve my skills but I guess for now this tail is finished for the event. Now to go work on the top for a bit before getting ready for work.

Quote Originally Posted by Raayvhen View Post
    Maybe if you have enough sequins outlining the red on the fluke would make it more complete?

Hrmmmmm...kind of like that idea..... I do have some tiny 2mm clear rhinestones around here. I 'm going to go place some on the fluke and see how it looks! Thanks for the idea!

Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    I was thinking clusters (more of a dusting) of pearls (half pearls) near the fluke between the veins...know what I mean?

Someone else has a velvet tail and she said sealskin, too (look around Plus Sized Mers discussions)...

I like this idea too but unfortunately I don't have white pearls. ;(

Oh good to know! Will check that out when I get the chance. Thanks!

Raayvhen, if you were here in person right now, I would kiss you!

This does look better and I think I have just enough of the 2mm rhinestones to do it as long as I make sure they are on sparingly. Now I'm going to boot up my Kandy Kane and get to attaching them!

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    I like it

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Perfect! That's what I meant to do when I suggested pearls.

Ha! It was just pointed out to me that this tail could double up as a Captain America costume too! I will have to make note of that!