Thread: Mer Community Challenge! Small Prizes

Senior Member Pod of The South Rivertee's Avatar
    Follow Rivertee On Twitter Add Rivertee on Facebook
    Follow Rivertee on Tumblr
    Alright I've been looking at some of the challenges and would love to offer a contest to my merfolk friends!

Get active in your community!

For the next week I'd like mers from all over the world to post ideas how we mers can get active in our communities and show our love of the sea at the same time. After July 16th I'll post the offical challenge here as an update. The winning idea will get a free sketch of their choice sent right to them via e-mail and the hard copy snail mail (yes I'll pay shipping and handeling).

The winner of the contest however will get one hand made mer accessorie as long as I can make it (be it hair clip, necklace, bracelt, etc) for themselves and a merling. So what do you mers think? Can you reach the humans around you and make a difference of a creature of the sea.

ok so a group of judges has decided a few ideas were perfect so we want to combine them.

First community challenge this year work with your local school and set an enviromental week to clean up local rivers, lakes, and ponds. So post your progress here and next July we'll see what we've accomplished. Hopefully I can put together a large gift for the school who does best

So congradulations to Mermaids Celeste and Sasha message me what sketch you'd like and accessories.
    Last edited by Rivertee; 07-18-2014 at 11:34 PM.
    ~Nothing's Impossible just hard to achieve, so stay true to yourself and always Believe~

Formerly known as Kaguria the Kitsune Mermaid

This sounds like a really good idea! :-)

Thanks so far no takers though
    ~Nothing's Impossible just hard to achieve, so stay true to yourself and always Believe~

It has only been a day, though, and I would bet that not everyone visits the forums daily. How to submit answers for a contest might also be a subject of confusion. Would you like people to share their ideas in the thread, or pm them to you?

Thread, lol sorry I'm use to active forums on most of my websites.

Maybe have a Save the Seas fundraising event at the local aquarium? The proceeds can go to a charity

Senior Member Pod of Texas Seatan's Avatar
    Add Seatan on Facebook
    You could reach out to special needs kids and teach them about the oceans and ocean conservation. They are often overlooked for teaching opportunities because many have intellectual disabilities; however, that doesn't mean they can't be committed to a cause! In fact, special kids often make GREAT activists--they have such an amazingly hopeful view on the world that it just tends to spread.
    Once upon a time I was known as Seavanna. Going by Seatan these days. I always wanted to be the high lord of underwater hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Seavanna View Post
    You could reach out to special needs kids and teach them about the oceans and ocean conservation. They are often overlooked for teaching opportunities because many have intellectual disabilities; however, that doesn't mean they can't be committed to a cause! In fact, special kids often make GREAT activists--they have such an amazingly hopeful view on the world that it just tends to spread.
    I love this idea! My brother is special needs so this hits me on a personal level and is something I hope to achieve :-). Thanks for posting this idea!

All of these are epic ideas

Maybe go to school and teach the students about ocean conservation.

I lvoe reaching out to schools and educational groups. Great idea!

I keep putting ideas that I want to try once I get a tail. Going to work my way to being a professional mermaid. I got tons of ideas lol

Keep them comng You can submit more than one idea. I'll post which one wins tomorrow at midnight

Not just oceans, either. The Sierra Club in Florida needs help to pass a bill protecting and cleaning up our local freshwater springs! If we as merfolk can show up at local events and help raise awareness for the Sierra Club (Possibly by taking pictures in the springs and showing how beautiful they can be), it could help keep our springs clean and open to the public!

~Mermaid Celeste: The Orlando Mermaid~
    Booking Website/Model Mayhem
    Facebook Fan Page /Pinterest/Twitter/YouTube/Instagram

Get a few decent sized groups together and go clean up your local river/beach/lake etc.

Winners and challenge posted. I'm looking into my old elementary and middle school.

Local middle school and high school are meeting up to clean up north st John's river next month

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Its the middle of winter here. Only crazy people (me) go swimming, even in indoor pools!

When I swim I hope to inspire young non swimmers to take up swimming, even if I don't talk to the kids much.

My little niece wants to swim with me when in my tail, but I've told her that to do that she needs to learn to swim first. She was terrified of the water until one weekend she received an early birthday present from me. It was a Peppa Pig ring and arm floaties. I talked her through it in the car and when we go to the pool, she even stood there quietly whilst I put the floaties on her. After a few shy tries, I heard her telling her mum, "Don't push me" as in don't push her along in the water, she wanted and did float and kick all by herself!

Her parents think its something you do in summer, not winter. I reckon its a very important survival skill. That all kids must learn when they start walking. My nephew (same family) is 9 years old and he can't even float on his back without his swim vest. Very sad that we in Australia still have a high rate of drowning accidents.
    Last edited by Mermaid Jaffa; 08-11-2014 at 10:14 AM.

Really like the idea of a Save the Seas fundraising event at a local aquarium.