Thread: How To Enter a Party?

Lightbulb How To Enter a Party?

Everyone, I gots a problem with entering and leaving parties!! (Raina, maybe you could give some input here? I got (and devoured!) your book in the mail yesterday and this was one question that I still had after, and one that my boss had too.)

We do a lot of birthday parties and expect to do many of them in backyard pools for clients...much of our business comes from the McMansion set, who may have either above-ground or in-ground pools. What would be the best way to enter the party as a mermaid, if you don't have a mertender? My boss is a woman only a few inches taller than me and I don't think she could possibly lift me and carry me to and from the pool and the car. Someone mentioned getting and decorating a little Radio Flyer-style wagon, which might be cool if we can do it up in a big clamshell design, but does anyone have other ideas? Private homes are the majority of our business, although possibly those same folks would rent the indoor pool at their country clubs in the winter. I'd prefer public pool work, cuz a lifeguard is involved and we don't have to hammer safety into the parents' brains QUITE so hard (still gotta be firm about it), but entrances could still be tricky. I guess for public pools like that, we'd be in the water when the kids arrive, and stay until they leave.

My boss is VERY big on maintaing the realism, so we're not allowed to "transform" into humans during or after a party just so we can get in the car and drive away. If we're mermaids, we're mermaids until we're out of sight. (We don't worry about bumping into these kids at the store later and ruining it, because many of our jobs are widespread and few are in the same town we live in).

Any suggestions or ideas would REALLY be appreciated! :3 If it involves building stuff, I can usually accommodate that! I have a small shop and tools at my house and can build most anything.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Narina's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Narina's Youtube Channel
    Maybe you could discuss with the parents that you have time to get in costume and get in the pool before the kids come outside?

Visit Talia's Youtube Channel
    What about a wheel chair? It's not very pretty, but probably would be effective; and you can decorate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Narina View Post
    Maybe you could discuss with the parents that you have time to get in costume and get in the pool before the kids come outside?
    This is what I do whenever possible, and it helps a LOT. I try to either arrive early enough to get in my tail in the pool without being seen and stay after the kids are gone, or tell the parents not to let their kids near the pool area until my assistant gives them the all clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Narina View Post
    That's what I've done. The best it ever worked was when the parent distracted the kids with a magic show inside and I snuck into the pool. Once it was time for me to leave they had another activity planned away from the pool in order for me to slip out of my tail and sneak off.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    That's what I've done. The best it ever worked was when the parent distracted the kids with a magic show inside and I snuck into the pool. Once it was time for me to leave they had another activity planned away from the pool in order for me to slip out of my tail and sneak off.
    That sounds like the best plan of action (for mer with or without a tender).

I have done it so many different ways. Whichever works best for the client:
    I have changed in a pool full of balloons before the guests arrived
    I changed behind a pool deck and waddled to the water
    I have had fathers and sons pick me up from the bathroom once I am dressed and drop me off at the pool
    For events, I have changed in the bumper boat repair room and got pirates to carry me
    I changed in the enchanted garden with toads all over the floor and got two random attending guests to help me to the pond.

Just make sure when they e-mail you to mention how to get you to the pool. I never needed something on wheels yet.
    Oh and bring a yoga mat or something in case you need to change somewhere dirty and a sheet to cover yourself with. I like to bring someone with me always to keep an eye out for wondering kids.
    come find Mermaid-Odette on facebook!
    my website is here
    instagram

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/KahWlYkRbiGo8" width="480" height="360" frameborder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>via GIPHY