Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Merman Armor Top- concept

Merman Armor Top- concept

So I've been toying with the idea of making an armor-like top for awhile, but attempts at it have never panned out. After some brainstorming, I've come up with a new concept.

Name:  Top concept.jpg
Views: 1643
Size:  279.7 KB

The current plan is to sculpt it in clay, then mold and cast in latex. This will hopefully keep it flexible enough to swim in comfortably.

The top will be in two parts. There will be an undershirt, which is a flesh colored spandex tank top. I will mold and cast gills in latex and attach them to the top, then put scales on the back to help blend it into my tail and have the lower half of the dorsal. It also may or may not have a back zipper.

The over part will be the armor piece itself. The shoulder strap is non-functional, but the side straps will be (though they probably won't buckle. More likely to put a big pair of snaps under them), and that's how it'll go on. the armor piece will also have the upper part of the dorsal (molded to look like the dorsal is coming up through a slit in the armor.)

There will also be decoration, in the form of rhinestones embedded in the armor. mostly because I like sparkly things. I am also considering making a weapon of some kind to match the top.

I am still toying with colors. I want it to match my black swim mask, so maybe make the edging black and center silver? Or make the center purple to match my tail? I'll be throwing some colors at it in Photoshop later to see what looks good.

So yeah. This'll be my next big project. I'll be starting it with the money from my tax return, sometime in the spring when I can safely order latex without worrying about it freezing.

If anyone has an suggestions or ideas, feel free to voice them.

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Grey Gambit's Avatar
    Add Grey Gambit on Facebook
    Follow Grey Gambit on Tumblr
    This looks really cool! Armor was something I'd been thinking about but wasn't sure what to go with where it would still be okay to swim in.

The disguised undershirt is a really neat idea, too.

I would have never thought of something like this. It sounds like a great idea! Can't wait to see it off the paper. Good luck making it!!

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    Nice! I can't wait to see!

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

I've been doing some redesigning and thinking about this project, and have gotten started.

First, the undershirt. This is spandex with some latex layered over it to make 3-D gills. I hope to later add 3-D scales to it.

Name:  IMG_0155 copy.jpg
Views: 1010
Size:  752.9 KB

Now, to make the armor. I've decided to use Thermoplastic instead of latex, so that I don't have to use a mold. It will also hopefully be more lightweight and look more like armor.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Hey Ed! Just wondering how you sewed your dorsal on?

I sewed mine like an upside down T. The top line of T on the fish suit and the line down the middle becomes the fin. I was thinking of just sewing the fabric straight on then design and sew the dorsal after.
    Formerly known as ireneho

I sewed the fin together. Then I sliced open the back of the top and just sewed the fin right into the new seam. it doesn't stand up on it's own outside the water, but in the water it stands up because the spines are made of pool noodle and are therefor bouyant.

By hand or sewing machine? I imagine the thick bits of the fin were hard to sew through.

Sewing machine. I hate hand sewing stuff. My machine handled the pool noodle pretty well, the stuff squishes easily and isn't too tough.

Thanks Ed! Might try your way, mine just flops over in and out of the water!

Looking cool so far!
    Almost done making my first ​tail!!! -progress pictures at http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?9784-Excited!-P-might-make-a-tail-tips&p=195098#post195098
    -Friends come and go like waves of the ocean, but true ones stay like an octopus on your face-Unknown

The top looks great so far! I can't wait to see how it turns out! ��
    You are never alone.
    There are about
    7,266,786,800 people in the world.
    So mathematically speaking,
    Even if your are one in a million there are still about
    72,667 people who are just like you.

Sorry for the crappy photos, but here's some progress shots.

Name:  SUNP0003.JPG
Views: 449
Size:  415.8 KBName:  SUNP0004.JPG
Views: 470
Size:  484.2 KB

Been working on layering and shaping the thermoplastic, and now I'm mostly satisfied with the form. Now I can start decorating it.

Had to dispense with the straps and back part, due to the shape of my dorsal fin. (thermoplastic is also expensive) Instead, I'll be attaching the armor to the undertop

Ooo! Have you tried it on yet?

Well, I've been molding it to my own chest, so yes? It doesn't stay on by itself, and I can't add straps due to my dorsal fin, so I'm going to have to glue it onto the undershirt once I have it all painted and everything. Until then, I kind of just hold it to my chest to check the fit. Not ideal, but it's what I got.

How's it going Ed? Any new updates? How did you mold the plastic? By cooking it or heating with hairdryer?

Nothing yet. I've got a busy weekend, so won't be working on it until my days off.

yeah, I've been molding it with a hairdryer. I didn't want to stick it in the oven and melt the whole thing, so I've been doing it bit by bit with a hairdryer instead.

Quote Originally Posted by exdraghunt View Post
    Nothing yet. I've got a busy weekend, so won't be working on it until my days off.

yeah, I've been molding it with a hairdryer. I didn't want to stick it in the oven and melt the whole thing, so I've been doing it bit by bit with a hairdryer instead.
    Easy to do or not?

Eh, the hardest part is that I'm fitting this to myself by myself, without a helper or a form. (a dressform would make this worlds easier)

When this stuff heats up, it's like putty. All I have to do is hold the hairdryer too it until it softens, then bend it into whatever shape I want and hold it there until it cools.

Senior Member Pod of The South Keiris's Avatar
    Add Keiris on Facebook
    Looks like it's coming along really well!