Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Perth Mers Silicone Top Adventure!

Junior Member Euro Pod
    How long did you work on it??

How long did we work on what? Which part are you referring to? We are still in the process of making these tops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The answer for every part of this process is probably forever. Everything is taking forever hahaha.

yay they look awesome!!!

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Wow!!

Woaah, they're superpretty!
    Great job guys!

They look great!

Mermaid Galene (pronounced Guh-LEE-nee)

Mermaid Galene WebNeptune's Keep WebFacebookMG YouTubeNK YouTubeEtsy Shop

Neptune's Keep makes music with fish. Fish have hidden depths!

Amazing job! Can't wait to see them painted
    Mermaid Riia
    (Merenneito Riia)

Finland's first mermaid entertainer

www.merenneitoriia.fi

user formerly known as Riiarin

They both look like they're going to be just gorgeous. Can't wait to see.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mer-gal's Avatar
    I love these tops soooooooo much!!!!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Wonderful work!

You know, you could save a buttload of painting by pigmenting your silicone before you pour it!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Leira's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Leira on Facebook
    Beautiful! How did you do the pour in the concave mold?

We had a think about it but we specifically decided not to pigment the silicone for a few reasons. 1. We weren't sure exactly what colour scheme we wanted yet. 2. We hadn't bought the pigment yet but wanted to get a start because we have had the silicone a while and it has a short shelf life and 3. Were were thinking that we wanted to have a few different light and dark colours involved so wanted quite a plain base to work from.

We just finished painting, clear coating and attaching to the bras today. Wasn't anywhere near as difficult as I thought it would be, just messy! We were going to airbrush them but our ideas were a bit complicated so we decided against it.

I started off with one plan for my coral top (Green blending to orange blending to flesh) but part way through decided it would look a bit better mostly one colour as it would look more like a piece of coral. I also realised that using a brush I could get some texture in there. So i stippled the paint as I applied it and added flecks and texture so that it looked more coral like. I had originally wanted to do this in the mould itself but didn't like how it looked when I was carving it in the monster clay so smoothed it all out. I am really glad I was able to add this in the paint layer!

And the concave mould ended up working really well. We were planning on suspending the positive breast cast above the silicone but neither of them survived the casting process very well.

So what we did is we poured several separate thin layers of silicone and spread it through the mould with a spatula. And then angled the mould on subsequent layers to get even coverage.

'We used the medium cure silicone (the only one you can get here in Australia) so this meant that we had to keep an eye of it and spread it a few times if it settled, especially on Amelia's deeper top. After about 45 minutes (and about 2 re-spreadings) it becomes tacky enough to stay put on it's own.

This sounds more annoying than it actually was! We spent a couple of hours on them checking the pours between cups of tea and baby wrangling. I am actually surprised by how easy it was. And I am surprised that we didn't have any problems with the silicone being temperamental since the weather has been a bit strange here and I tend to get impatient and was probably not as careful as I should have been!

Pictures!!

We got our tails out to try and match colours. My baby boy thought it was all very interesting. I don't think these photos do them much justice though because the iridescent pigments just shine so amazing and the camera can't capture it. I'm very proud of our first try at silicone tops. Hopefully we can show you some pictures of us wearing them tomorrow xxx

Whoops didn't realise that Amelia was uploading stuff at the same time!

And this is my other little project! Olive the Octopus! Gonna make a hair piece from him! And since i have the mould I may make some sort of top or shoulder piece too!

Name:  10726500_10152830165119703_1304136489_n.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  52.6 KB