Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Hopes of Children and Parent's Reality

If he will tire out easily you can always have him dolphin kick with a pool noodle under his arms or one of those little kick boards. he wont got speeding around but it would let him cruise and build up muscle in the kick. Also let them know the dolphin kick had pretty much the same motion you use with your upper body to rock a rocking chair because if they do all knee work they will wear themselves out.
    "It is a condition of monsters that they do not perceive themselves as such. The dragon, you know, hunkered in the village devouring maidens, heard the towns folk cry 'Monster' and looked behind him."

Senior Member Pod of The South Rivertee's Avatar
    Follow Rivertee On Twitter Add Rivertee on Facebook
    Follow Rivertee on Tumblr
    Thanks for the rocking chair tip it really helped explain the movement lol harder to teach than to swim honestly
    ~Nothing's Impossible just hard to achieve, so stay true to yourself and always Believe~

Formerly known as Kaguria the Kitsune Mermaid

The kids just got their monofins today!! Hot a knock at my door at 9am asking foe training. It's the hildren mermaid and shark monofins so they're a bit different than my finis one
    ~Nothing's Impossible just hard to achieve, so stay true to yourself and always Believe~

That is awesome!! Has the mom warmed up to you a bit then?
    All that glitters is not gold,
    Not all who wander are lost.
    The old that is strong does not whither,
    Deep roots are not touched by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be broken,
    A light from the shadows shall spring.
    Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
    The crownless again shall be king.

A little she's treating this as a phase of theirs

Well, that's better than nothing! And buying them monofins means she's going in the right direction
    All that glitters is not gold,
    Not all who wander are lost.
    The old that is strong does not whither,
    Deep roots are not touched by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be broken,
    A light from the shadows shall spring.
    Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
    The crownless again shall be king.

Lol I hope so

Quote Originally Posted by Kaguria The Kitsune Mermaid View Post
    Hello Mers!
    I've got a bit of a bind on my fins and need help. There's a sister and brother pair that has been watching me every night this summer practice in both my monofin and mermaid tail and tonight they actually spoke to me. Asking if I was a real mermaid and why I sometimes didn't have a tail.

I explained that I'm a human just like them training to be a mermaid. My necklace that came from the ocean gives me strength and ability to swim as mers do, if I train hard enough and the moon is right I sometimes get a tail. Well they explained that they both love the water and merfolk (yes the boy too) these kids are 10 and 12 the boy being the older; well the boy has diabetes and can't do a lot of strenuous activities but always dreams of swimming free in the ocean like a merman. Well I gave them each a pendant of the ocean (pearls and shells I had made into necklaces for future events) and told them as they grow in their training in the water so will the magic within the pendants. If they believed hard enough and trained just as hard their dreams of being merfolk can indeed come true.

Well we played and talked into the night and when their mother came to get them they explained where the necklaces came from and what they were for. She shot me a horrible look and began to scold the children as they left saying to "Get that nonsense out of your heads. There's no such thing as mermaids, fairies, magic, or any other nonsense like that..." they both looked so sad and defeated. I felt bad for raising their hopes and dreams only for their mother to scold them.

I know they'll be back tomorrow to watch or swim with me, but I don't know what to tell them. I don't want to upset their mother and cause problems, but I can't just let them loose their love of the ocean and it's magic.

Help!!!
    OMGOSH!!!!!! you can't prevent that from happening but you could talk to their mother! It's sad that a mother would say something like that to her children! that's like saying that Santa doesn't exist!!!!!

Hehehe sadly they don't believe in Santa at all

Senior Member Pod of Cali MarkF's Avatar
    I wonder what happened in that mothers life that makes her bitter about dreams and wonders?
    Weird!

She probably swats butterflies.
    I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.
    It really upsets dull people!

Like I said the poor thing is recently divorced and is loosing her son. She's new to the complex and works very hard. I sympathize with her and enjoy the time with the kids. Next week Brian (the boy) goes back to his dad's and won't be around much.

Thankfully I haven't had to deal with something like this yet. All of the parents have been very encouraging and excitable. They come up with explanations before I can, lol. But my mom worries about situations like yours. She doesn't really think it's right to lie to the kids without knowing how their parents will respond. I think people who don't play along for the sake of the children are jerks. I mean, why not let them believe? Hold on to their childhood for just a little bit longer? There isn't enough magic left in the world, only anger, fear, and sadness. Kids are being forced to grow up way too fast and it isn't fair. They deserve to be able to believe in fairy-tales if they want to, (and who knows, maybe mercreatures are real, given that 95% of our oceans remain unexplored).

Etsy || Facebook || ModelMayhem || Tumblr || Instagram

Formerly known as Sea-Glass-Siren

Dunno why parents do it.. maybe cause children can be quite cruel towards each other and still believing in fairies and other childish stuff can be a reason to be made fun of, getting bullied or just excluded from the group (aka forget about that weirdo).
    So parents might think if they tell their children the hard truth very early they can prevent that.
    Also they will probably feel dumb for defending their believes against other children only to find out they are most likely not true.

Yeah its pretty cruel but thats the way I could explain myself such behavior cause no parent wants the worst for their children. In their mindset they do the right thing.

I wonder if she told her kids about Santa...
    This eSCALElated rather quickly.

Who knows but honestly I was bullied for a lot but my faith in fairy stories wasn't one of them

This is unacceptable! Why would a parent do that?! I'm with Mermaid Margo, there's not enough believers in the world!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Merman Delphis
    Life, Disney, Bubbles
    Disney Cast Member For Life
    Into the Blue, Let the Current Move You

Children quickly learn how to behave when they get positive, consistent guidance from you. This means giving your child attention when they behave well, rather than just applying consequences when your child does something you don’t like.

I understand. Many parents are now faced with the fact that their children are behaving badly. I'm no exception. So I was looking for a way to fix it. The Character Development Worksheet turned out to be a great idea. I ordered such an honorable character building worksheet for my daughter. After a few days, she really started behaving better.

thanks for this topic

Great topic! You know, the process of parenthood is very complicated. At one time in my motherhood I became very scared, I felt like I lacked some of the skills to raise my daughter. But luckily when I was googling for information on the internet I came across this website https://mymamihood.com/. It turns out they have an annual Mindful Parenting Event and I decided to contact them. And I am very happy about it, because now I can raise my child better and better.