Thread: I don't have 20/20 vision

I don't have 20/20 vision

Hi,
    Im new to the mermaid network and im training with a monofin atm but my main concern is when it comes to performing. I am shortsighted and my vision is bad. Is there anything that visual impaired mermaids use when performing. I dont want to be performing and then swim into a child or a wall or something because I cant see, and thats just above water! Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Quite frankly, I can't see much when I'm underwater either. If you're willing to spend a lot, I know there used to be a glasses company that could make, yes, PRESCRIPTION SWIMMING GOGGLES. Genius. I don't know if there's anything like that now, but it's always worth a check. You can also get contacts, be VERY careful, and where regular goggles. I know goggles aren't the most mermaid-friendly things on earth, but there are a lot of ways you can decorate them to look more sea-like. Hope this helps.
    All that glitters is not gold,
    Not all who wander are lost.
    The old that is strong does not whither,
    Deep roots are not touched by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be broken,
    A light from the shadows shall spring.
    Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
    The crownless again shall be king.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Raayvhen's Avatar
    Follow Raayvhen On Twitter
    Follow Raayvhen on Tumblr Visit Raayvhen's Youtube Channel
    Contacts and goggles is the best I've found.

Senior Member Pod of Cali spottedcatfish's Avatar
    Follow spottedcatfish On Twitter Add spottedcatfish on Facebook Add spottedcatfish on Google+
    Follow spottedcatfish on Tumblr Visit spottedcatfish's Youtube Channel
    This is a great question, as I am severely nearsighted too. I would suggest getting and wearing contacts, but it is strongly advised you should not wear them in a pool due to increased infection. If only there was an acceptable mermaid glasses / goggles to solve this problem!

Senior Member Pod of Texas Seatan's Avatar
    Add Seatan on Facebook
    I am almost done making some really cute seaweed goggles (the pic should be up tonight). I suggest getting Daily Disposable contacts. That way you can open your eyes in the pool, throw then out IMMEDIATELY after swimming, wash out your eyes, and out on glasses or put in a fresh pair. It's not 109% safe, but its what I do. Prescription goggles are definitely available but are pretty expensive.
    Once upon a time I was known as Seavanna. Going by Seatan these days. I always wanted to be the high lord of underwater hell.

Prescription goggles don't have to be horrifically expensive. I wear these, and I ordered them on Amazon:

Name:  41tXZObUqtL.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  27.1 KB

The goggles were about $25, and I got prescription lenses from Amazon for them. Each lens was about $14. There's a video on YouTube that shows how to remove the standard lenses and pop the prescription lenses in. These goggles are the same model that I decorated and posted on Seavanna's Octogoggles thread.

Mermaid Galene (pronounced Guh-LEE-nee)

Mermaid Galene WebNeptune's Keep WebFacebookMG YouTubeNK YouTubeEtsy Shop

Neptune's Keep makes music with fish. Fish have hidden depths!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Ilyena's Avatar
    Add Ilyena on Facebook
    Visit Ilyena's Youtube Channel
    Prescription goggles are great, they don't have to be exact, just close enough unless you want to spend a LOT of money. I got a pair for my bf from the swim shop and they worked great, he was always complaining that he couldn't see and I was just a blur.

Can also tell the kids that you are from sea water and chlorine hurts your eyes hence the goggles ^_^
    When Fantasy is Reality

Links: ^_^
    >
    Mermaid Ilyena >Adelaide Mermaids
    >
    Hippocampus Creations >Etsy