Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Child's Silicone Tail (Mermaids R Us)

Oh come on guys they don't fail on their tails....

they just find a thousand ways that don't work

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Merley's Avatar
    Add Merley on Facebook
    Biggest regret yet? Buying a mermaidsrus tail; hands down.

I really REALLY try to never say anything negative about anyone, no matter what...but I'm very very very sorry, that orca tail is...not so good. OK, it's HOT GARBAGE, I said it. I don't like to ever diss anyone else's hard work, and if this was just someone's personal project, I would be very encouraging because I know they're learning. But charging 500 dollars for that is RIDICULOUS. It seems like it would be less work just to do it right, you know? I've surfed around on the forums, watched everyone's videos, and learned enough to make a pretty decent first latex tail, and learning how did NOT take that long. You'd have to actively avoid learning any techniques to mess up this bad. Or perhaps the person who made it just isn't that artistically inclined...maybe this just isn't their calling, no matter how much they wish it was. But even if you have no base talent for it, you can learn from other videos and improve significantly. This is...this is just silly.

Plus you really set yourself up for customer feedback headaches and complaints when you charge beyond your level of skill like this. Returns, exchanges, complaints, endless damage control online, it adds up and it's not worth it in the end. better to charge very low and raise your prices as your skill level raises, until both your prices AND your skill levels match those of your competitors.

Also just wtf fuzztail. Fuzztail looks like it would catch on everything and pick up lint. Blegh.

EDIT: I just realized what the orca tail looks like. It looks like someone pulled apart an Oreo and licked the frosting. XD mmmm Oreotail.

They're so flaky! It's like they're molting or something.

some tail makers just arnt skilled for stuff like that, they should just stick completely with fabric tails , it does not look like a type of tail id want in the ocean , who knows what types of paints they use

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Raayvhen's Avatar
    Follow Raayvhen On Twitter
    Follow Raayvhen on Tumblr Visit Raayvhen's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquarianne View Post

EDIT: I just realized what the orca tail looks like. It looks like someone pulled apart an Oreo and licked the frosting. XD mmmm Oreotail.
    I was seeing it as a badly frosted cake.

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    Eric actually had the camp thing planned for a while I know cuz a former weeki Mer is helping and I met her at ncmerfest.

And not to mention how there are already lots of mermaid camps all over the world. It's the "new frontier" sort of . Everyone's jumping on the band wagon and as such no one can claim that others are copying their idea for a mermad camp or school.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    weeki has been putting on camps off and on for decades.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Oh its latex?? I thought it was some fuzzy yarn that they used and glued onto neoprene, as I was looking at neoprene tails on the net.

I think I could make that tail with lint and elmer's glue. It wouldn't be swimable.... but that'd keep the glitter out of the pool.

as for the mermaid camp/school thing, of all the inevitable ideas, with recent articles on mermaiding doing the rounds, i can't imagine that "teaching people to do what my customers enjoy doing" is really a big leap.

Quote Originally Posted by Winged Mermaid View Post
    I'm guessing for the same reason that MermaidsRUs made an Instagram account that was named "Mertailor" (but still posting MermaidsRUs pics and directing to the MermaidsRUs website) and Eric had to contact Instagram's legal department and show his trademark to get it removed. I remember seeing the account when I first got on Instagram and thought that was pretty low. They've done some sketchy stuff.

You're... You're shitting me, right? Please tell me she didn't actually do something that sleazy and stupid.

That just makes her hateboner for The Mertailor, like, ten times creepier. And sadder.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Meilyn's Avatar
    Follow Meilyn On Twitter Add Meilyn on Facebook
    Follow Meilyn on Tumblr
    ^ and then the butt hurt mermaid camp thread on the drama section lol.

I hate you, you're ruining my business by making better looking tails, but I'm going to use your tags to get customers who may not be able to fully afford one of your tails...

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Hate boner lol

Quote Originally Posted by Meilyn View Post
    ^ and then the butt hurt mermaid camp thread on the drama section lol.

I hate you, you're ruining my business by making better looking tails, but I'm going to use your tags to get customers who may not be able to fully afford one of your tails...
    EXACTLY. Her using the Mertailor tag to try to promote her own shoddy business had me absolutely rotted to the begin with, because you know the whole point of her doing that was to basically leech off of Eric's fan/potential customer base who couldn't afford one of his tails and wanted a cheaper alternative, and even went so far as to basically try to steal his business's name on social media to mislead those people and leech more (frankly unwarranted) popularity off of someone else's hard work? Yeah, no. That shit don't fly with me.

And then she has the GALL to start whining about "The mean BIG FISH is stealin' mah humble little family business!"

1) Eric's business is a "family business" as well, as Matt had already pointed out to her, and 2) Just because your business is a freaking failure compared to the people like this who actually put the work and effort into making their brand as successful and recognizable as it is does not give you the right to try to steal their clientele from them. You're not just the little fish trying to make it in this big pond full of bigger, meaner fish who are all out to get you; you're an asshole, plain and simple. If you can't advertise on your own and have to latch onto someone else's brand to get attention, then you need to sit down, shut up, and either re-think your whole business strategy or get the hell out of the game altogether and quit wasting the time and money of literally everyone around you.

I'M SORRY FOR THE ANGRY RANT but I just really really hate people who engage in super scummy business practices and then cry like they're the victim when they think somebody's doing the same thing to them.

Also I feel kind of weird for how much I think I've been defending Eric here lately. I mean, he can be a hugely selfish jerk with skeevy practices of his own, but sometimes I feel like the crap that people like MermaidsRUs give him and Matt is pretty unwarranted.
    Last edited by Starfrit; 08-10-2014 at 02:52 AM. Reason: Edited for wording because why am I on the internet at 3:30am oh god

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Meilyn's Avatar
    Follow Meilyn On Twitter Add Meilyn on Facebook
    Follow Meilyn on Tumblr
    ^

I read the arguments and she even used HER OWN WORDS against herself saying that someone else said them by making fun of her. Which they didn't at all... I think the lady needs a reality check though. She seems unattached to what's going on with herself and her business as well as her own skill limitations.

So unethical. Makes me sad. And almost *everyone* who has a Mermaid business has toyed with the mer school idea! Amelia and I thought of it before we had even become part of the larger mer community and weren't surprised that so many people were already doing it when we found out about the big world of mers out there. It is a natural idea to have if this is something that you are involved in. So no need to start accusing. Unfortunately very few ideas are truly unique any more, even if you came up with it independently chances are someone else has too.

Senior Member Euro Pod Samantha Siren's Avatar
    Is it me or should this company be taken of the "Buying Tails" list? I have no idea how thy are still in business, as their tails are awful! I am so glad people have the same thought as I do not understand how they can continue making such poor quality products when there are companies producing tails at a standard they could only dream of for the same price! Ridiculous! Rant over!

I kind of agree- having known poor quality listed leads newbies, (hi, newbie here) to come close to making mistakes. (Not that I nearly made that mistake, wisely learning the ropes in a fabric tail)

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha View Post
    Is it me or should this company be taken of the "Buying Tails" list? I have no idea how thy are still in business, as their tails are awful! I am so glad people have the same thought as I do not understand how they can continue making such poor quality products when there are companies producing tails at a standard they could only dream of for the same price! Ridiculous! Rant over!
    I agree 100% taking it off the list! I hope no one will ever buy their tails. They use wrong pictures on their website to sell you sh*t quality. You get a nice okay-ish looking image that should be the tail you are ordering but you end up getting ugly, bulky, flaky monster like that :S
    Mermaid Riia
    (Merenneito Riia)

Finland's first mermaid entertainer

www.merenneitoriia.fi

user formerly known as Riiarin