Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: #icebucketchallenge

Senior Member Pod of The South Rivertee's Avatar
    Follow Rivertee On Twitter Add Rivertee on Facebook
    Follow Rivertee on Tumblr
    I am so excited about this! I've volunteered at hospitals and centers for years and have met some pretty awesome people with ALS, so I challenge you MERNETWORK MERS to the Icebucket Challenge! If you do $5.00 donation to your local centers http://www.alsa.org/community/ will help you find them. Post videos here and we'll share them around FB, Twitter, and Instagram! Let's show the world what we mers can do!
    Last edited by Rivertee; 08-18-2014 at 07:07 PM.
    ~Nothing's Impossible just hard to achieve, so stay true to yourself and always Believe~

Formerly known as Kaguria the Kitsune Mermaid

Can we challenge other mers a after we do it?

I did just did this with my sister today XD

Of course kishi
    ~Nothing's Impossible just hard to achieve, so stay true to yourself and always Believe~

what is the ice bucket challenge exactly?
    Hugs, fishes, and mermaid kisses!

Easier to just Google or YouTube it Gem

Some good vids :

And I will just leave this here...

The 25 Most Important Shirtless Ice Bucket Challenges :

Link ---> http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/the-m...ket-challenges

Quote Originally Posted by Meilyn View Post
    Not to ruin the fun, but I'll just leave this here. ..

http://dailycurrant.com/2014/08/15/c...wasting-water/
    I can agree if people are doing it simply because they want attention and not donate at all there should be consequences for their actions. This is meant as a wake up call to raise awareness for a very serious neglectance in our communities.

So thank you for making us aware of the restrictions, I wouldn't want any of our CA mers to get into trouble.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Ugh you know they've raised like 15 times more money then what they did this week last year??? I wouldn't worry. The Als foundation is over the moon and it all brings awareness.

So I'm going to guess you're not a fan of this Raina?

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Meilyn's Avatar
    Follow Meilyn On Twitter Add Meilyn on Facebook
    Follow Meilyn on Tumblr
    Personally, since we own our house, water bills suck :/ and instead of doing stuff like this, why not just spread the word by doing other things that don't waste resources?

Instead of doing this ice bucket challenge, I challenge ALL of you to donate 5$ to their foundation instead of wasting like, 4$ on ice and another 5$ on water. It all adds up quickly. And the fishes on our pond out back would appreciate it too ♡

Internationally, there's a drought all around the world. I'm all for not wasting whatever we have on the planet.

I agree Meilyn.

Name:  10606260_812487032130063_1515407454099834595_n.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  66.8 KB

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Since I'm not sure how to can a mod delete this or someone explain how to delete a thread? I can see there's a lot of disagreement about this so I'd rather just take it down and continue on my way thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Meilyn View Post
    Not to ruin the fun, but I'll just leave this here. ..

http://dailycurrant.com/2014/08/15/c...wasting-water/
    Don't worry, someone ruined it in a worse way than you

http://uproxx.com/webculture/2014/08...-for-everyone/

Im not a fan of people getting annoyed about it. i think it's amazing this raised so much more than before. creating awareness costs money. it burns fossil fuels. it leaves a carbon footprint. using your computer to raise awareness leaves a carbon footprint.

I dont think in my personal opinion a bucket of water/ice is going to break the world anymore than other things used to create awareness (paper flyers for instance). This boost had made a huge fucking difference for ALS funding. like monumental. I think it's awesome celebs are getting into it because that only ups it and helps more.

yeah it be great if people would just donate money. The thing is loads of people dont know ALS is a thing, or that the foundation exists. Videos like this go viral and people make a personal connection and learn. People with a personal connection are going to be liklier to donate more long term and spread more awareness. There;s loads of studies that back up this mentality.

ALS are very thankful and could give two shits if some people only do it for attention because even those people are spreading awareness. not everyone can afford to donate either.

In my personal opinion Im more annoyed that people are picking apart something that was organized spontaniously. Sure it could be better, but the people who started it off had no clue it would get so big. now they no for next time. How about we celebrate that ALS is in the news since it's hard to get anyone to care unless some mega celeb has it. And lets celebrate their breaking their own funding records because of it. And maybe next year someone can come up with something that doesnt leave a mark on the planet.

I kinda feel like tagging #firstworldproblems honestly.

Sorry but to me, this is worth a bucket of water. We are talking huge difference here. HUGE. Imagine if you could make a huge difference in cancer with a single bucket of water???

The extremely viral ALS Ice Bucket Challenge has led to record donations to the ALS Association, whose national office reports nearly $12 million in collected donations since July 29–$15.6 million if you include money raised by ALS affiliates across the country–compared with less than $50,000 in the same period last year.
    “It’s huge. It’s a game changer for the ALS Association,” said ALS Association President Barbara Newhouse.
    The $12 million figure represents more than half of the funds raised in all of 2012, when the national organization brought in $19 million in contributions.
    A flood of celebrities participating in the Ice Bucket Challenge, in increasingly creative ways, has also bolstered the Ice Bucket Challenge’s success. Project ALS, another charity dedicated to combatting Lou Gehrig’s disease, said it experienced a surge in fundraising after Ben Stiller and Ricky Gervais took the Challenge and asked people to contribute to that organization specifically. The charity raised $96,000 over a single weekend, compared to the first weeks of August last year when it only raised a few thousand dollars.
    But how will the organizations spend this influx in cash? The ALS Association’s president said the money will allow the group to “think outside the box.”
    “We need to take some time to make some very clear decisions about how best to spend this money,” said Newhouse, who said she will consult a number of people including the families that started and popularized the ALS challenge.
    One clear priority will be research, on which the organization currently spends more than $6 million a year. In the past, the organization has utilized a multi-pronged approach to its advocacy, which has include research funding, support services for people with the disease and lobbying legislators.
    Project ALS says all the money the organization receives will go toward innovative research and “staffing up.”
    Representatives of both organizations said that regardless of where they end up spending the contributions, the awareness the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge has created will be key to addressing ALS going forward.

So mers do we want to put something together ourselves for other research facilities? Cancer, OI, and other disabilities that our communities struggle with? Maybe not an ice bucket but something else?

Put very well, Raina. I feel the same way about it and I wasn't sure how to put it.