Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: #icebucketchallenge

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I kinda wanna do the challenge! Unfortunate for me though that kind of thing really sparks my chronic pain and Id pay for it for a few days.

Dont feel bad about starting the post and please dont take it down. A little contro-mer-sy happens time from time, but it doesnt mean it's not valid.

Senior Member Pod of The South Rivertee's Avatar
    Follow Rivertee On Twitter Add Rivertee on Facebook
    Follow Rivertee on Tumblr
    Well I was thinking as I read through all the post maybe a swim for charity? Sponsor a mermaid and race down a spring or do a swim with kids with $1.00 admission all proceeds go to a foundation
    ~Nothing's Impossible just hard to achieve, so stay true to yourself and always Believe~

Formerly known as Kaguria the Kitsune Mermaid

I'm gonna sound shallow but whoever thought of the icebucketchallenge has my thanks for giving me a nice parade of shirtless handsome boys doing the challenge. I enjoyed watching them

As for your opinions, Raina, I agree with you

Quote Originally Posted by Meilyn View Post
    Not to ruin the fun, but I'll just leave this here. ..

http://dailycurrant.com/2014/08/15/c...wasting-water/
    ... You do realize that The Daily Currant is a satire site and none of the articles they post are true, right...?? That said, I do see your point!

When it comes to the "Wasting Water" argument, I can definitely see both sides here and I'm not really on one side or the other about it. For health/mental health reasons I won't be doing the Ice Bucket Challenge myself, but I'll definitely be donating to the cause anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Arion View Post
    I'm gonna sound shallow but whoever thought of the icebucketchallenge has my thanks for giving me a nice parade of shirtless handsome boys doing the challenge. I enjoyed watching them
    Me too.

Its times like this I wish mernetwork had a like button.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Skip a bath or the dishwasher for your bucket o ice

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Meilyn's Avatar
    Follow Meilyn On Twitter Add Meilyn on Facebook
    Follow Meilyn on Tumblr
    Quote Originally Posted by Tieri View Post
    ... You do realize that The Daily Currant is a satire site and none of the articles they post are true, right...?? That said, I do see your point!

When it comes to the "Wasting Water" argument, I can definitely see both sides here and I'm not really on one side or the other about it. For health/mental health reasons I won't be doing the Ice Bucket Challenge myself, but I'll definitely be donating to the cause anyway.
    NOPE! Did not know that. :|
    I have temperature issues (hard to create my own body heat sometimes) so I understand the health aspects to it as well. But water bill sucks even more when you have a giant pond out back that needs to stay at a constant level.

Ok had to share this. This is a dear friend of mine from the 501st Legion Costume group These guys do a lot of charity work around the world and Mike (guy in the video) has often trooped events at my job. So enjoy the hilarity and mers be looking for my vid within 24hrs.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
    ~Nothing's Impossible just hard to achieve, so stay true to yourself and always Believe~

LOVE the 501st! They visit MegaCon every year, they do great work in costuming and charities!!

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Fun123joker's Avatar

Follow Fun123joker on Tumblr
    no no but what gets me mad is that suddenly everyone is calling everyone on wasting water with this challenge BUT NOT WITH WET T-SHIRT CONTEST

HOW TO DO THE ICE BUCKET CHALLENGE WITHOUT WASTING CLEAN WATER:

collect rain water! next time it rains put your bucket outside. rain water isnt dirty at all and trust be it'll be cold

gif. from Free! Eternal summer ending
    ・゚: *✧・゚:* \(◕ω◕✿)/ *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Senior Member Pod of The South Keiris's Avatar
    Add Keiris on Facebook
    Uuuuhh...I think you're going to miss the 24 hr window to complete the challenge if you're standing around waiting for it to rain. Especially if you live in the arid west. That could be a VERY long wait!

Or reuse your shower water. :cue "ewww" and "nastyyy":
    The SeaGlass Siren

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes Theta's Avatar
    Follow Theta On Twitter Add Theta on Facebook
    Follow Theta on Tumblr
    God bless whoever posted Stephen Amell, he's my favorite.

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes Theta's Avatar
    Follow Theta On Twitter Add Theta on Facebook
    Follow Theta on Tumblr
    Maybe start tagging mers on facebook. That might get it started quicker, if you want to do it. Maybe mers can donate part of their $ to ALS and part to a clean water charity, as a matter of principle.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Fifi Tigg's Avatar
    Add Fifi Tigg on Facebook
    Follow Fifi Tigg on Flickr Visit Fifi Tigg's Youtube Channel
    Mermaid Emily Drew and her friends decided that after watching a young man on Youtube talk about his family curse of ALS and himself being diagnosed in his twenty's that they would try to raise some money for the cause. It was a last minute decision but they raised a small amount of nearly $50 at the local park! Bless them

http://www.youtube.com/attribution_l...eature%3Dshare
    http://make animated gifs like this at MakeaGif

In the past week I've seen the stats for the funds raised and I have to say I've changed my mind! I generally get annoyed with viral stuff, and this is no exception, but people are raising a lot of money for a horrid disease. It's good to see that people are actually donating instead of just doing the challenge to be "cool" or whatever. Before I saw the numbers it just seemed like people were doing it for attention, so that's what made me so mad. My father in law passed away from ALS. I didn't get to see him in that time, but from what I heard from my mother in law it was heart breaking and so horrible I hope that all the funds raised really make a difference in moving forward in treatments!

That being said, kind of sad that I can't do the challenge it myself. I get massive nerve pain from the cold (an issue that I fight all winter long, so frustrating) and especially cold water. I can't ice injuries anymore, and have to ask someone to help me if I need a drink out of an ice cooler at a BBQ or whatever. It suuuucks! Mermaid Lindsey nominated me and sadly I had to turn her down. I'd donated before but I was glad to donate again

Just keep in mind that the challenge isn't fibro friendly, or usually for anyone who has chronic pain issues like that. I've seen a few people put others down for being a "wuss"/"chicken"/ect about not taking the challenge, but you never know what's going on with a person's health, so don't be that guy

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

For those who have issues with cold we actually used warm water for my brother in law and just said it was cold

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    Merman Christian challenged me and a few other merfolk. I accepted the challenge and passed it on to a few other mermen. C'mon, folks. It's for a good cause. Let's not dissect, overanalyze, or destroy it.
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

Rebelling against the wise words of Merman Dan, I actually enjoy dissecting and over analyzing things....

I love the ice bucket challenge, I really do. I've already been nominated three times (which, according to 'official rules', you donate the first time, and then the rest of the times you do it, you simply do it to raise awareness and to nominate others, who, in turn, donate), but the one thing that I absolutely hate is when people do it because they think it will be cool, and then don't donate at all. I am in high school, so I know that there are people out there who just don't donate because they can't/won't/forgot, but I have literally seen videos of people from my school who made the video, and said to the camera that they really didn't want to do it and they were just doing the challenge to make their nominators happy, and that they weren't donating. That is a waste of water. The whole idea of the ice bucket challenge was made to be a small boost in donations, but instead it has become a thing that everyone just does (I like to think of it as a small sci-fi fandom that kind of exploded into something huge, like Doctor Who).

The problem with the ice bucket challenge, is that people will get tired of it. It has turned into a fad, and, like most fads, it will fade away and be forgotten. That is what is already happening. People are realizing that the only thing they get out of it is the video of them getting a bucket of water dumped over their head, and not the fact that they donated. It is a temporary solution to their problem. They have raised millions of dollars from this, but the research they want to conduct will cost so much more than even what they have raised. And, like a movie saga, the second attempt will never be as good or effective as the first go. I do understand that it has raised a lot of money, but I do hope that the ALSA doesn't think this is going to fix all of their problems.

I don't mean to sound negative or pessimistic, all I am saying is that while this challenge is going, we need to give them as much as we say we'll give, and not take the challenge without recognizing and doing something for the thing the challenge is supposed to support.
    All that glitters is not gold,
    Not all who wander are lost.
    The old that is strong does not whither,
    Deep roots are not touched by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be broken,
    A light from the shadows shall spring.
    Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
    The crownless again shall be king.

Last edited by Rivertee; 08-26-2014 at 10:10 PM.