Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sequins tails

Sequins tails

Hello Everybody!

A few years ago i bought my first mermaid tail at Magictail in Germany.
    I have now decided to make a sequins tail and top.
    At the moment i have 3 fabric tails: My green one i bought at Magic Tail, a blue one custom made for me and a holographic purple one custom made for me.
    I live in the Netherland and sequins are pretty much impossible to find here so i wanted to order from c cartwright.
    Luckily my mother in law lives in America (my boyfriend is from America) so she ordered the sequins for me and will ship it to me (this saves me money cause i won't be needing to pay customs this way)
    I wanted to work on all 3 tails with sequins but since i joined this forum and read up on information i found out that i don't have nearly enough for 2 tails!
    I think i ordered 13.000 sequins in total for 3 tails and 3 tops .....yeah......not gonna happen....lol
    Since the total amount including shipping will already be quite a lot at the moment i have decided to just work on 1 tail and top for now.
    Thinking just one tail will take a lot of my time already as it is.
    Since i am not sure if i can work on my green one since it is a bit old and the fabric is getting thinner i have decided to not work with that one but work on the blue tail first.
    The colors i ordered are different shades of green, blue, purple, pink. Then also gold, silver and holographic mixed colors.
    I think i can design a tail with those colors. (will include a photo of the blue tail which is just a basic blue tail since it was meant to be painted and filled with sequins)
    I do have questions though that i a hoping you may be able to answer:
    Is it better to have a zipper in the back with a sequins tail? Even if it is spandex or lycra?
    I also bought some plastic floor matting to work as fringes.
    The plastic is not just a flat piece of plastic but can best be described as a corderoy pants type which i think will work great.
    In my opinion sowing would be best for that, but do any of you have experience with it and prefer glueing versus sowing?
    My tails are open at the bottom so you can put the monofin in and take it out afterwards.
    Is this the way to do it? Or is it better to leave the monofin inside the tail?
    The monofins i have are from Magictail in Germany.
    And there is the question of sowing the sequins on or doing it by hand.
    I will most likely do a test run with some left over blue fabric to see if sowing them will work and to compare which looks better (will off course share the results with all of you)
    I saw that Hannah Mermaids tail has a belt on the inside, what would that be for? Is that needed?
    I have more questions and am sure i will have even more as this journey progresses.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Forgot to share a photo of my purple holographic tail Name:  foto 1 (2).JPG
Views: 556
Size:  171.6 KB
    Name:  foto 2 (2).JPG
Views: 531
Size:  211.7 KB

And a photo of the sequins that will be shipped out to me shortly! I am getting so excited!
    What do you think of the colors i chose?
    I feel they will work nice together, but would love to hear some opinions Name:  sequins.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  144.1 KB

Senior Member Euro Pod Mermaid Crystal Shimmer's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Crystal Shimmer On Twitter Add Mermaid Crystal Shimmer on Facebook
    Follow Mermaid Crystal Shimmer on Tumblr Follow Mermaid Crystal Shimmer on Flickr Visit Mermaid Crystal Shimmer's Youtube Channel
    Hi there fellow Dutchie! Love the colors you picked and I'll be following this thread as I too want to create a sequin tail one day ^_^

A fellow Dutch mermaid? Yay! So great to meet you! Thank you for joining me on this journey. Today i showed my mom the plan for the tail and she is going to help me as well.
    I am sure we will have lots of hurdles on our way but it will be fun and rewarding at the same time

Follow Mermaid Crystal Shimmer On Twitter Add Mermaid Crystal Shimmer on Facebook
    Follow Mermaid Crystal Shimmer on Tumblr Follow Mermaid Crystal Shimmer on Flickr Visit Mermaid Crystal Shimmer's Youtube Channel
    Can't wait to see! I'll be stalking this thread from now on.
    And yes, there aren't a lot of mermaids in the Netherlands =(

Senior Member Euro Pod CowgirlMermaid's Avatar
    Add CowgirlMermaid on Facebook
    Visit CowgirlMermaid's Youtube Channel
    HeyHey, dont forget me!! I'm dutch too!!

Gonna follow this tread. Sequin tail threads are always fun to follow.
    Good luck with your tail!

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Crystal Shimmer View Post
    Can't wait to see! I'll be stalking this thread from now on.
    And yes, there aren't a lot of mermaids in the Netherlands =(
    On one hand it is sad that there are so few mermaids in the Netherlands but hey...look on the bright side....it makes us even more special in the Netherlands

Nice to meet you Cowgirlmermaid! Thank you for joining on the sequins tail journey!

I'll follow it too
    (Formerly known as Mermaid Claudia)

Yups, we are kinda special then, aren't we?

I know/knew two other dutch mermaids with homemade tails at my monovinclub.
    But suddenly then didn't show up every training, haven't seen them for awhile now.
    Last time I saw them they were talking with a guy who wanted to hire them for a event.
    Never heard how that ended.
    Wish I knew if they are still using their tail, I'd love buy one of their tails.

Do you have a design template of your tail?
    I love seeing the designs other mers come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by CowgirlMermaid View Post
    HeyHey, dont forget me!! I'm dutch too!!

Gonna follow this tread. Sequin tail threads are always fun to follow.
    Good luck with your tail!
    I'm sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone. There's just so few of us. Would be fun to have a little meeting at a local pool ^^

@ Mermaid Chrystal Shimmer: I love that idea of meeting at a pool one day!

@ Claudia: Thank you for joining us on this journey!

@Cowgirlmermaid: I don't have a design yet just the basic fabric.
    I don't know if i want to cover the entire thing in sequins or paint the part where the monofin is and cover the rest of the tail in sequins.
    Also there is the question of sowing it on or using the E6000 glue i have heard others talk about.
    I have soe left over fabric and will be doing some test runs on those with both sowing sequins, glueing sequins and painting on the fabric to see what works best for me and i will post the pro's and cons here off course to share it.
    If all goes well and it turns out amazing then we will most likely start making them (also custom orders) for my fantasy shop/business and sell them. But that is only if i am 100% happy about the result

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Crystal Shimmer View Post
    I'm sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone. There's just so few of us. Would be fun to have a little meeting at a local pool ^^
    Don't worry, you didn't offend me.
    Meeting up sounds fun. But I don't have tail, only a competitor-like monovin.

And Adalira, even it's not perfect, you could start selling them. Many mermaids would love to have a sequin tail.
    and hey, practice makes perfect.

Don't worry, you didn't offend me.
    Meeting up sounds fun. But I don't have tail, only a competitor-like monovin.

And Adalira, even it's not perfect, you could start selling them. Many mermaids would love to have a sequin tail.
    and hey, practice makes perfect.
    Thank you for your kind words
    My mom is all excited in helping me and she came up with a bunch of ideas. So great to see her all excited about the project.
    The sequins will be send to me most likely next week and after that it can take 2 to 3 weeks before the sequins arrive here.
    I do have some sequins at home already so hopefully next week or this weekend i can start testing it out on some fabric (the sowing)
    Also discussed the use of the E6000 glue for glueing them on with my mom and we will try that out as well, just have to buy some next week and test it out on fabric.
    Can't wait to get started and share some results on here.
    I will share a photo with you of me a few years ago when i had worked as a mermaid on an event.
    As you can see i added just a few sequins here and there and some star fish on the tail.
    The top i added some pearls and other decorations, oh and i made a decorated silver belt around it.
    Nothing special or fancy and not really happy with it.
    The once i will make now have to have that WOW factor and look fenomenal and be my own design.Name:  rsz_1rsz_adalira_127.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  157.1 KB

Oooh, that's a magictail isn't it? Looks awesome with all the added sequins and belt.
    I almost bought one 2 years ago. Don't know why I didn't, I think it had something to do with not enough money.

What are the colors of your sequins? Wich color would go where on your tail?
    Maybe I can draw a design you like, if you want?
    I have around 53 fluke shapes , and 20 color designs at home, I love drawing mermaid tails

Oooh, that's a magictail isn't it? Looks awesome with all the added sequins and belt.
    I almost bought one 2 years ago. Don't know why I didn't, I think it had something to do with not enough money.

What are the colors of your sequins? Wich color would go where on your tail?
    Maybe I can draw a design you like, if you want?
    I have around 53 fluke shapes , and 20 color designs at home, I love drawing mermaid tails
    The colors of the sequins i bought is different shades of blue, green and purple. Then some pink, gold and silver to highlight some parts.
    I have never been good with designing.
    Even when i have new ideas for fantasy art i don't design it first, i see it in my head and make it.
    Don't know why designing something on paper isn't working for me.
    The fluke shape will be the same as you see in the photo above of the green tail. I will however try to make a nice color design on the fluke, maybe ad some texture and off course fringes at the bottom and side of the tails.
    Thank you for your offer to help with the design. For now i have several designs in my head that i think will be beautiful.
    If i however feel at some point that they will not work out the way i wanted it too i will definitly take you up on your offer
    Last edited by Adalira; 08-23-2014 at 09:58 AM.

i think you did a good job,adalira
    it's the result which counts. you could draw the prettiest designs, but that would'nt matter if you had two left hands.
    " [...] Und zwischen meine Zähne
    Klemmt sich ein Muscheltier.
    Kommt wohl die letzte Thräne
    Als Perle einst zu dir? [...] "

Empress Elisabeth of Austria

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia Lobster View Post
    i think you did a good job,adalira
    it's the result which counts. you could draw the prettiest designs, but that would'nt matter if you had two left hands.
    Thank you :-)
    But as said, that tail was made years ago when i just got started with being a mermaid and i had no idea what the possibilities are.
    When you look at the tails of Hannah mermaid and mermaid Kariel you just see how amazing a mermaid tail and top can really be. That's why i want to make those kind of tails now cause their tails look like pure magic to me

I know their tails and they ARE magic! But i always wonder how solid and comfortable such a tail (complete maid of sequins) would be. My tail will have also sequins,but not that many and not on the bottom ._. (but my tail is just a "test").
    Anyway, i am very interested in your projekt!

And by the way: the belt in hannahs tail is ,as far as i know, a lead belt. This is what divers have , so it is easier to stay under water (meeeh... my english is not good enough for that, i am sorry -.- i just hope you know what i mean!)
    " [...] Und zwischen meine Zähne
    Klemmt sich ein Muscheltier.
    Kommt wohl die letzte Thräne
    Als Perle einst zu dir? [...] "

Empress Elisabeth of Austria

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia Lobster View Post
    I know their tails and they ARE magic! But i always wonder how solid and comfortable such a tail (complete maid of sequins) would be. My tail will have also sequins,but not that many and not on the bottom ._. (but my tail is just a "test").
    Anyway, i am very interested in your projekt!

And by the way: the belt in hannahs tail is ,as far as i know, a lead belt. This is what divers have , so it is easier to stay under water (meeeh... my english is not good enough for that, i am sorry -.- i just hope you know what i mean!)
    I am with you there, not sure if a tail completly made from sequins is too comfortable. So that's why i will paint the fluke and add some texture to the fluke (maybe with silicone) and just start trying it.
    No worries, your English is good and i can totally understand what you are saying. No need to apologise