Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: My Adventures in Silicone

Quote Originally Posted by MerQueen Nerissa View Post
    I ditched the shell design altogether. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with all of the scales I made...
    I think they look great! But if you don't love them and don't know what to do with them I have a few ideas! If you have enough you can make a scale cuff, groups of scale patches that can be glued onto the body for a "growing scales" look, make a mini tail for a doll, glue the scales onto a cover of a notebook, If you are up for making more scales, you could make a lovely top

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Are those shell shock molds? If so, are you pouring or brushing?

I really like these!
    she believed she could, so she did
    formerly known as Kalani

Senior Member Pod of The South
    Awesome work!
    ~Merman Rett Of Georgia~

(Formerly Known as Risingmermaid)

Quote Originally Posted by merkitty View Post
    I think they look great! But if you don't love them and don't know what to do with them I have a few ideas! If you have enough you can make a scale cuff, groups of scale patches that can be glued onto the body for a "growing scales" look, make a mini tail for a doll, glue the scales onto a cover of a notebook, If you are up for making more scales, you could make a lovely top
    Ooh a notebook cover sounds awesome! I'm working on a "mermaid handbook" in the perspective of my charter in the book I wrote with a friend, and scales as the cover would be perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Wesley View Post
    Are those shell shock molds? If so, are you pouring or brushing?
    No, I'm using the "amazing" casting resin you can get at hobby lobby and Michaels. I'm not sure if this applies to shell shock, but I'm pouring and it captures every detail just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
    I really like these!
    Quote Originally Posted by RisingMermaid View Post
    Awesome work!
    Thanks!
    I'm out of silicone (I was just using leftovers from the first tail), so I'll ordering a couple trial kits monday. I also bought a bunch of glitter today, because I freaking love sparkles and I want this tail to be magical!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

I had just enough silicone left to do some tests with the glitter! I think I'm going to get some that matches the dark purple better, but what I have right now will look great on the lighter colors of my tail.
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1432608014264.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  60.7 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1432608035635.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  32.5 KB
    The second picture is obviously out of focus, but it shows the sparkle!
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1432608141540.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  37.2 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1432608157455.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  26.5 KB
    This one is just clear with sparkles, which is what I'm planning on doing for a blended waist.
    I have a couple other scales curing, but after that I won't have any new progress until my new silicone gets here (hopefully by the end of the week)

Oh my gosh that clear sparkly one!!!!
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

I am so glad I decided to change my scales because I am SO in love with these!
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1433128680579.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  113.6 KB
    I also bought some new glitter that'll go well with my dark purple/violet.
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1433128746343.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  82.5 KB
    I'm also planning on getting my powermesh/making my leg dummy by the end of the week!

Okay wow it's been a while since I've posted any progress on this. I have about 80 scales now (once I clean out my new mold I'll be able to make 15 at a time so it'll go faster), but no other progress. My plan WAS to buy a leaderfin monofin and then start working on sculpting the fluke, but now I'm questioning what monofin I really want. At first I thought I really wanted a big monofin so I could have a big fluke and swim really fast, but now that I've swam in my first silicone tail (which has a pretty big monofin), I'm thinking that I like my softer, smaller monofins better.
    So now I guess I need to figure out which smaller, softer monofin I want to get. I really love my foil but it's a pain to deal with rubber and silicone. I can fit my feet into
    both the wave and the rapid, but they both have those bulky strap things on the side. Then there is the hydra, but that also has the bulky strap things, plus it looks like it really separates your legs, the foil and rapid do this as well but in some pictures the hydra looks like it does it even more.
    So I guess I'll continue working on scales until I figure out what the flip I want to do for the monofin

Follow PaolaMF On Twitter Add PaolaMF on Facebook Add PaolaMF on Google+ Add PaolaMF on MySpace
    Visit PaolaMF's Youtube Channel
    we need more pitcures !!!
    PaolaMF Mermaid Fantasy Studios
    all my designs and products are registered, be different, be original, thanks. SAFE CREATIVE ( copyright registration )
    silicone mermaid tail : http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...antasy-Studios
    facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/pages/Merma...266693?fref=ts
    instagram : https://instagram.com/mermaid_paola/
    twitter : https://twitter.com/misspaolamf
    youtube : https://www.youtube.com/user/MermaidFantasyTails

Quote Originally Posted by PaolaMF View Post
    we need more pitcures !!!
    I promise I'll add pictures when there is something exciting to see!

I haven't done much with this lately because I've been working on tails for friends, and my little brother! I did however buy my monofin! I decided to go with the finis foil after looking through some threads and watching some youtube videos. I know you can't go very fast in them, but I'm a sucker for flowy, floppy flukes!

Junior Member Euro Pod Samantha Sleeman's Avatar
    Add Samantha Sleeman on Facebook
    Hi, a little bit of help here for you re painting etc.
    If you paint the tail after the cure time (48 to 72 hours max) then the silicone paint will not stick too well (it will peel off here and there)
    It all has to be done so fast that you have to be very very organised and often involves 15 hour days!
    Again, adding scales etc once that vital cure time has passed is nigh on impossible, for a good bond, unless you use something called silpoxy (from Smooth on)
    When you design your next tail make sure the contour between fluke and leg part flows smoothly, allowing for the extra space required to locate the fin, both on the fluke and leg part (make sure they are the same too)

Hope that helps

I don't have any actual tail progress, mostly because of college and anime conventions, but I did finally figure out a design that I love!
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1448056244860.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  33.0 KB
    I'm pretty sure the fluke is going to end up being pretty big, which brings me back to deciding on a monofin. But I'm going really slow with this so I have time to figure it out!
    Winter break is coming up so hopefully I'll have time then to actually work on the tail!

Very pretty design! And looking back through the thread I have to say I love those clear sparkly scales too
    Mermaids - not so graceful on land...
    Luna Dreamtide
    (Formerly Leina)

Senior Member Pod of Cali Mermaid Clara's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Clara On Twitter Add Mermaid Clara on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Clara's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by MerQueen Nerissa View Post
    I don't have any actual tail progress, mostly because of college and anime conventions, but I did finally figure out a design that I love!
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1448056244860.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  33.0 KB
    I'm pretty sure the fluke is going to end up being pretty big, which brings me back to deciding on a monofin. But I'm going really slow with this so I have time to figure it out!
    Winter break is coming up so hopefully I'll have time then to actually work on the tail!

Beautiful design!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    *Previously know as KellyMermaid*

Thanks everyone for the kind words!! I'm still going slow and steady with this, but I've got at least enough scales to cover half of the front of a tail. I've also ordered a lighter purple/violet pigment so I don't have to mix that color every time I make scales, and it'll also be more consistent that way. I'm not sure how much I'll be able to work on it for the remainder of winter break, as I need to make a tail for the winner of my raffle.

Wow, it is looking beautiful so far! Can't wait to see more progress, good luck! :-)

Here are the scales I've got so far!
    (My phone seems to hate purple, none of the pictures I take ever show what it really looks like)
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1452567160261.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  53.0 KB
    I laid it on top of my partial tail for scale. They reach a few rows above the knees, and the final tail will probably be shorter than the partial one, so I'm farther along than it looks.
    I've got powermesh now, and I'll be ordering another trial kit of silicone to tide me over until I save up enough for the gallon kit and monofin.
    I'm hoping to get my butt in gear and try to finish this thing before summer!