Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: My Adventures in Silicone

I finally made a leg form and covered it with powermesh!
    Here are all of my current scales pinned onto it.
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1453169545339.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  41.0 KB
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1453169570962.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  53.5 KB
    The color is definitely not that blue in real life, I wish I could photograph the real color!
    I'm still not 100% sure on the lighter purple, so for now I'm going to focus on the darker scales.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

That looks so pretty! I can't wait to see it done - I loved your design.
    Mermaids - not so graceful on land...
    Luna Dreamtide
    (Formerly Leina)

Okay, so we're rolling again! I just got another trial kit, and I'm hoping that it'll cover at least the rest of the front!
    I decided against the lighter purple I had, it just looked kind of weirdly brownish in some lighting. I picked up a jar of misty lavender pearlex, and while it looks really cool, I'm not sure that it matches. I just ordered a sample of a cooler toned lavender, so hopefully it's nice! I'll probably mix the misty lavender into the new one.
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1455161372701.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  47.1 KB
    I does look really nice with flash though!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Kait's Avatar
    Just read through your entire thread. Wow your first tail looks exactly like your drawing! Second tail looks like it's coming along nicely. Love love love the dark purple, hope the new lavender works out for you
    Mermaid Kait

Thanks Kait!
    I don't have much more progress, but I did finally find a lighter purple that I like! Once I'm done with my current tail order, I'll be able to get back to working on this!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDlubp1gJdL/
    I'm a bit farther than that now, the front should be done by the end of the week! It's hard to balance school, making tails for customers, and making my tail!
    But I just ordered my leaderfin, so excited!!!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mermaid Summerlilly's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Summerlilly On Twitter
    Yayyyy! I just found this and I will be stalking this thread for progress reports! I love your first tail and this one is coming along beautifully!
    beep boop get some soup

Quote Originally Posted by MerQueen Nerissa View Post
    I am so glad I decided to change my scales because I am SO in love with these!
    Attachment 30172
    I also bought some new glitter that'll go well with my dark purple/violet.
    Attachment 30173
    I'm also planning on getting my powermesh/making my leg dummy by the end of the week!
    I love these! I really wanted to do dark purple but I couldn't find the sequins in the color I wanted!

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Tami View Post
    I love these! I really wanted to do dark purple but I couldn't find the sequins in the color I wanted!
    Thanks!
    I know cartwright has a darkish purple for their smaller sequins but the color rubs off really easily.

I got my leaderfin, it's huge! I might end up changing my fluke design a bit so it'll work with the fin better, I don't want my fluke to be too gigantic!
    Finals week is next week, but after that I'm free and I can focus on getting this tail done!!

Got my fluke all drawn out, it's gonna be huge! It's just over three feet wide and three feet long. I can't imagine how people make/swim in bigger ones! Attachment 36726
    I've also made a couple darker purple scales for the back, but I used some lumiere paint to pigment them,and they turned out kind of sticky. I'm gonna give them some more time to cure to see if it'll go away.
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1462397150425.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  25.8 KB

Oh no for some reason I can't see the fluke design attachment!
    Beautiful dark purple, reminds me of like a midnight purple.
    Mermaid Kait

Tapatalk is being weird for me right now, hopefully this attachment works! Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1462400479990.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  43.5 KB

Yep! The attachment is working, and your design looks great!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    formerly known as Julianne.

OOOO I love it!
    Mermaid Kait

Member Pod of The South Coral Corey's Avatar
    Add Coral Corey on Facebook
    You are doing great!

Follow MerChemi on Tumblr
    I really love the shape of your scales, and your fluke is so unique!! I can't wait to see you pull the fluke!

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Julianne View Post
    Yep! The attachment is working, and your design looks great!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Kait View Post
    OOOO I love it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coral Corey View Post
    You are doing great!
    Quote Originally Posted by MerChemi View Post
    I really love the shape of your scales, and your fluke is so unique!! I can't wait to see you pull the fluke!
    Thanks everyone!

I don't have much progress, because I'm working on a tail order at the moment, and I still need to go buy clay. I really wanted to finish before summer, but now my goal is sometime in june!!

I've also been working a bit on my first silicone tail when I have the time. I took the polycarbonate monofin out and moved the scales farther up on the fluke, to give the tail more length. I went back to my original plan of having a foil in the tail, and used some extra silicone calking to seal the new monofin in there and make the fluke a little thicker. I can't wait to swim in it again, the fluke is really floppy now! Now I've just gotta take the top in a bit and fix up some small tears and it'll be ready to go!

Just bought two big blocks of plastalina clay! I can't wait to start sculpting!

Senior Member Euro Pod Mermaid Lieke's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Lieke on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Lieke's Youtube Channel
    Your first tail looks great! And I can't wait to see you second tail! I'm also considering to buying a leader fin, how did you decide on the stiffness of the blade?
    Follow my mermaid journey on Instagram and Facebook <3

Add a Splash of Magic to your mermaid-wardrobe, with beautiful sequins, silicone shells, mermaid tops and tails: shop here

Bewaren
    Bewaren

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Lagoon Lily View Post
    Your first tail looks great! And I can't wait to see you second tail! I'm also considering to buying a leader fin, how did you decide on the stiffness of the blade?
    I wanted to get whatever hardness was closest to the competitor, and after asking and doing some research I came to decide on the medium stiffness. I still haven't swam in it so I'm not sure how it'll look but it's pretty stiff, but I can bend it pretty easily with my hands. I think it'll flow nicely underwater but also have good power!