Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the big no-nos when it comes to dorsal fins?

What are the big no-nos when it comes to dorsal fins?

I'm designing an orca tail, and I'd like to make a dorsal that at least looks like an orca or at least a dolphin fin, but I'm not sure how practical that is. It probably wouldn't be very big at all, but it would be proportionate to the tail. Probably a female orca dorsal. Does anyone know anyone who's made or has a tail like that? If so, what problems have they had with that style of dorsal, if any?
    Name:  offsh22l.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  24.9 KB

This is an example of a female dorsal for those who aren't familiar with it. Thanks so much for your help!

I think most people's problems have been getting it upright. Most dorsals are thin and thus floppy. I know Mermaid Creations has upright dorsals, and I THINK it's because they have thicker silicone supports. My guess is that the size and shape is what enables them to be upright on their own.

if you're willing to have your dorsal be a bit thicker and rounder that might be the way to go to get it to stand on its own
    آناهیتا پری دریایی
    Anahita, The Persian Mermaid
    Facebook - Shop - Tumblr - Storytime with Shahrzad - Blog

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Go lower back on your tail so when you roll it down you aren't putting constant stress on it

Could one not put some kind of support in it that isn't silicone? Would it have to be silicone to make it work right? Or could there be another way to make it stay up?

Sorry, Raina, could you break that down for me? I'm really new to this community, and I'm still not used to all the mermaid lingo, haha. :o When you say to place the dorsal lower back, do you mean my lower back, or further toward the fluke of the tail? What do you mean by "roll it down"? Is that something that happens when you're swimming?

Silicone is tricky and only likes to stick to other silicone. You could really pout most anything in it though if you sandwich it between cured pieces, but the problem is that your tail can't have anything too stiff or else you won't be able to sit on it, or roll it down properly. I also think what Raina was referencing was putting the dorsal lower on the tail, not on your lower back.
    آناهیتا پری دریایی

Quote Originally Posted by NalaniMermaid View Post
    Could one not put some kind of support in it that isn't silicone? Would it have to be silicone to make it work right? Or could there be another way to make it stay up?

Sorry, Raina, could you break that down for me? I'm really new to this community, and I'm still not used to all the mermaid lingo, haha. :o When you say to place the dorsal lower back, do you mean my lower back, or further toward the fluke of the tail? What do you mean by "roll it down"? Is that something that happens when you're swimming?
    You can totally do that. Put some hard strips of plastic in there and that will stiffen it right up. I encased a straw in silicone once. worked ok, but was too weak .We need something harder. acrylic strips perhaps.
    come find Mermaid-Odette on facebook!
    my website is here
    instagram

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/KahWlYkRbiGo8" width="480" height="360" frameborder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>via GIPHY

Quote Originally Posted by Anahita View Post
    Silicone is tricky and only likes to stick to other silicone. You could really pout most anything in it though if you sandwich it between cured pieces, but the problem is that your tail can't have anything too stiff or else you won't be able to sit on it, or roll it down properly. I also think what Raina was referencing was putting the dorsal lower on the tail, not on your lower back.
    Sitting! that's a good thing to think about. Maybe a sturdy plastic hose.
    my website is here
    instagram

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/KahWlYkRbiGo8" width="480" height="360" frameborder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>via GIPHY

Do you guys think it would be acceptable to just not put a dorsal on an Orca tail at all? Honestly I'd feel bad about not having the dorsal, but I figure it's better to just never have it than to have it for a while and ruin it, and possibly ruin the tail as well.

Yeah, something that's malleable but not floppy.

I wonder now that I'm thinking of it, if artificial whale bone will work. I tell people to avoid it in corsets for the very reason that it's not rigid enough to give good support after a few wears, but that gentle rigidity might work perfect for a dorsal fin.
    آناهیتا پری دریایی

Do you guys think it would be acceptable to just not put a dorsal on an Orca tail at all? Honestly I'd feel bad about not having the dorsal, but I figure it's better to just never have it than to have it for a while and ruin it, and possibly ruin the tail as well.

If you REALLY want a dorsal and are afraid of the problems it will cause on the tail, you can make it as part of your top. Like make it so it that it can be attaché to your top's band and straps
    آناهیتا پری دریایی

I'm trying to Google it but I'm not turning up much info. Is there another name for the artificial whale bone that I could use?

If you REALLY want a dorsal and are afraid of the problems it will cause on the tail, you can make it as part of your top. Like make it so it that it can be attaché to your top's band and straps
    That's a good idea, and I'm sure I could come up with some really creative stuff. I'll look into that! Thanks. Still though, if you have any more information on that artificial whale bone, I'd be so grateful!!

I'm trying to Google it but I'm not turning up much info. Is there another name for the artificial whale bone that I could use?
    I think German Plastic boning might be another name for it. It's tougher and thicker than the plastic boning you get at Jo-Ann's.
    آناهیتا پری دریایی

Oh, okay, I found it. I'm looking through it now, thanks!

No problem.
    آناهیتا پری دریایی

Great idea. they even have those already made! just need to paint it.
    TADA!
    Name:  swimfin.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  9.1 KB
    my website is here
    instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Odette View Post
    Great idea. they even have those already made! just need to paint it.
    TADA!
    Name:  swimfin.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  9.1 KB
    Sweet! That'd be perfect to work with, nearly hassle free!
    آناهیتا پری دریایی

Ohhh that looks like a great idea! I wonder what they're made out of! I'm Googling like a madmer over here! XD

They float big time, but yeah, it exists!

Nothing that can't be fixed with a little counterweight though I bet. Just hidden at the base or something.

It must be a hallow molded plastic then?
    آناهیتا پری دریایی