Thread: Lysol Wipes for the insides of tails

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member Undisclosed Pod

Lysol Wipes for the insides of tails

So, cleaning our tails has long been a bit of an issue in the community. You can baby a tail and still end up with gross insides. I have been testing loads of different methods for cleaning tails over the years and some I've documented before (like using isopropyl alcohol on dragonskin as per smoothons recommendation)

Rapidash gets a bit of a mold infestation from time to time. Sometimes it's because I wear her so much I have zero time for thorough cleanings in between, and I think she's more susceptible because of how she is on the inside (due to multiple layers of silicone and power mesh there are lots of hard to reach places that mold likes to grow.)

When I am cleaning mold in real life, I have my less abrasive methods like the above mentioned alcohol, or vinegar etc. But at some point when I'm cleaning I know bleach is the only thing that's going to get a stubborn bit of mold.

Bleach is typically a big nono for tails. It's super corrosive and MOST people do NOT mix it properly with water so that it's effective. (people always think more is better. Not the case as any health inspector will tell you)

So I started researching what could I use instead that would sanitize my tail but not destroy it?

After loads of time on the internet checking out what other people do to keep costumes clean I came to using disinfecting wipes. The ones I tested were Lysol wipes.

Wipes are great because they have a balanced amount of chemicals. If you buy the all purpose ones they are intended to be used on a variety of surfaces without harming the surface. I patch tested a piece of my tail and not only did it kill the mold, it didn't destroy any silicone. So now, as part of my cleaning routine I've taken to wiping my tail out with the wipes and letting them sit in the foot pockets and hard to reach places, or any place with mold for about 15 minutes.

(my foot pockets are moldy and keep giving me rashes and nothing I tried previously would get all the water out or get rid of mold)

I've used this now on both my tails and it helps a lot. And it's great and quick for in between gigs if you don't have the time to do a full on tail wash. You can at least quickly wipe the inside down so that nothing festers and creates mold.

When you do it you'll see just how dirty your tail is. I was shocked after a dry gig when I cleaned my tail, the white cloths came out brown. Ick. All that sweat and lube lol.

Just this week I gave my tail a whole work over. cleaned it as best I could in the tub, alcohol, the whole nine yards I got in the shower with that thing and a scrub brush so I could get right up inside it and clean it out. Then I rolled it down and picked at it with alcohol on q-tips to try and get mold out of seams etc. After all that when I went to use the wipes, they took off waaaay more grossness.

The wipes dont bleach and I believe they'd work inside hybrid tails too. Just a quick wipe out to prevent mold.

Anyway when my new tail comes I am going to do up a whole video of how to wash a tail and dry it and repair them!

edit: here's my first video about cleaning with lysol wipes

Last edited by AniaR; 09-10-2014 at 09:57 AM.