Thread: Must watch Ocean Docs and where to find em

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod

Must watch Ocean Docs and where to find em

I am big into ocean related documentaries, especially those that focus on environmental ecology and ocean animals. There are some pretty amazing ones out there that I really feel mers should be watching. I'm going to give you my list and welcome you to add to it. please add any relevant info you can.

Mission Blue
    Where to watch: Netflix
    In Theaters
    Aug 15 ~ 22

New York, NY

Village East
    189 2nd Ave, New York, NY
    Aug 15 ~ 22
    Los Angeles, CA
    Laemmle Music Hall,
    9036 Wilshire Blvd, Beverly Hills, CA

Watch the amazing story of Sylvia Earle a female ocean scientist who paved the way not only for women, but for ocean sciences. This one woman made huge strides in ocean science and progressed women in the field of science. But what's haunting about this film is seeing what the oceans were like from sylvia's view (through home movies) back in the 50s and 60s and what they are like now. it's staggering. I cried through this movie. Very inspiring and she gives you ways to make a difference through her various charities that have made marked differences around the world. She should be every mermaid's hero in my opinion

Addicted to plastic
    Watch it at the youtube link above in totality, or on Netflix.

This documentary is a few years older but blew my mind. I jotted down so many notes. We all know plastic pollution is a problem but did you know almost every piece of plastic that ever existed still exists today? Did you know in parts of the ocean there is more micro plastic pieces than plankton?! This documentary shows you the history of plastic, the effect on our oceans and the world, the ground breaking things happening to deal with it, and what you can do. It's mind blowing. The facts alone are worth the watch.

Sharkwater
    Where to watch: Itunes and here http://www.filmsforaction.org/watch/sharkwater_2006/

People may not know the history of this film but Im an avid follower of the canadian film maker. This film was the #1 documentary in the world for a time, and was the first underwater move filmed in full HD. It tracks shark finning and culling around the world. It's graphic but also inspiring when you see what people are doing to change. You also see how hard it is for the film maker to try and make a difference and make a life out of being an activist.

Revolution
    Where to watch: itunes or here http://ffilms.org/revolution-2012/

The follow up to Sharkwater. This film starts with Rob being asked why stop fishing if we're just going to have an empty ocean anyway. If we've already gone past the point of no return. Rob tried to answer that question. This film shows the impact sharkwater made, talks about ocean acidification, shows the balance between oceans and the forest, and much more. Great follow up.

Blackfish
    Where to watch: Netflix, frequently airs on CNN, itunes right here: http://putlocker.is/watch-blackfish-...er-205971.html

The controversial documentary about what happens to whales in captivity. Specifically focuses on killerwhales in sea world. Disturbing footage.

The Cove
    Where to watch: Itunes full youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBoNi_fLFlg

This film documents a former dolphin trainer's activism against dolphin slaughter and dolphin captivity. Very graphic. Hannah Fraser makes an appearance. Shows the link between what happens in a small cove in Japan and how it affects the rest of the world.

Any documentaries you can watch by David Suzuki about the ocean are amazing as well and chalk-full of great information and things that will empower and enable you to make change.

These are my top. Any to add? I really hope you'll please go watch some I'd love to discuss ones especially the ones other than the cove and blackfish as we discuss them frequently. Hop on netflix and watch addicted to plastic or mission blue!

So far I've seen the cove, blackfish and revolution.

disneys oceans, and a super old series called oceans alive. Quality isn't so great bit it's pretty interesting to watch. March of the penguins technically count because the icecaps are melting.
    The SeaGlass Siren

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Yeah the shark one is posted up there above revolution.

Yeah I edited my post after I realize it
    The SeaGlass Siren

Senior Member Euro Pod MermanOliver's Avatar
    Shall this thread be strictly film-only, or should books be included, too?
    Sent from my phonebrick using Tapatalk

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Thanks for the list!
    I won't be able to watch some of these because I'd go stark raving mad if I attempted to (The Cove, and the shark finning ones, especially), but I'll give the others I don't know yet a try.

Coz ocean films are always awesome.

The Blue Planet, a BBC series narrated by David Attenborough, is truly astonishing, gorgeous, and informative. Many of the programs in Attenborough's "Life" series also contain wonderful ocean sequences and information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r09efTg5Wz0

Mermaid Galene (pronounced Guh-LEE-nee)

Mermaid Galene WebNeptune's Keep WebFacebookMG YouTubeNK YouTubeEtsy Shop

Neptune's Keep makes music with fish. Fish have hidden depths!

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    Discovery/BBC's Blue Planet series on iTunes
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

Wow,thanks for posting these up Raina. IT's going to take some time to get through all these.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Galene View Post
    The Blue Planet, a BBC series narrated by David Attenborough, is truly astonishing, gorgeous, and informative. Many of the programs in Attenborough's "Life" series also contain wonderful ocean sequences and information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r09efTg5Wz0
    ! I love any of Attenborough's documentary's, I really need to start watching them again. Thanks for reminding me about them.