Thread: Debating between Merbella and Finfolk...

Debating between Merbella and Finfolk...

Ok, so I'm going to start saving for a silicone tail in the next year or so and I'm really stuck between merbella and finfolk. I like the scale types, the fast turnaround time, and the floppiness of the finfolk flukes....but then I like the paint style and new blended waist upgrade of merbella. Does anyone have a vid showing the floppiness/flow of the angler fluke out/in the water? That would help alot. I mean, they're prices are similiar enough that it's just deciding which style and whatnot that I'd prefer...

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I dont believe Raven is taking orders right now. The floppiness depends on what monofin you choose. If you choose the smaller monofin it'll be more floppy out of water because it does not fill up the whole space of the fluke. If you choose the competitor it'll be solid like mine (Hyli has that if you look at her photos and videos) but it can still be very fluid in the water.

Oh I know she's not, just trying to figure out which maker to go with so I can start getting a solid design down. Hmmm...I don't really like the stiff flukes....

I think stiff flukes are misunderstood. they're fantastic out of water, and can be just as fluid in water. Example:

Still incredibly floppy and fluid. But with the added benefit of a good kick to help you go far, much easier fin slaps, and the ability to put it up behind your head for photos and actually hold it there.

Floopy flukes can be much heavier, very hard to lift, very hard to do fin slaps. BUT they're easier to pack, and much easier to do flips and turns.

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    Finfolk has a payment plan, if that helps your planning process.
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

Raina, that's after your monofin has cracked though right? I'm personally more fond of stiff flukes all around (the betta fluke by FinFolk is the only floppy one I've ever really liked) but you mentioned your tail being different since the crack.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Sherielle's Avatar
    I was just thinking this morning that when I do decide to get my custom tail done, it was going to be either Finfolk or Merbella. I'm interested to see the replies here too.

I was in the same boat with trying to decide between Finfolk and Merbella as well. I love how all the tails are just so gorgeous! I ended up going with Finfolk though because I'm ready to start the process now, and I know Raven has plenty on her plate nearly all the time, so I didn't really want to add to that. Besides, I'd probably go for a basic tail, and I don't think she has any ready at this time to start.
    Either way, both companies make some beautiful tails -- it's a tough decision to make! But either one will make a beautiful tail!

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Morgann's Avatar
    The mighty waters of the Great Salt Lake.
    Add Mermaid Morgann on Facebook

I've never been a big fan of Finfolk scales, but seeing that Merbella Studios does not often take orders and it is very hard to get a slot, I'd recommend Finfolk, especially if you like the general look of the tail better. If you want a blended waistline that you can do yourself, order some Airbrush Ink and then do a faded color along your waist just above and below where your tail meets, in the color of your tail. That way your skin is that same color and has the appearance of fading. c;

Raina, that's after your monofin has cracked though right? I'm personally more fond of stiff flukes all around (the betta fluke by FinFolk is the only floppy one I've ever really liked) but you mentioned your tail being different since the crack
    not like that, in how it kicks to the left.

Older photos:

^one of the first pics ever taken

some of those images are 3 years old.

I think this video shows it the best, Naida has a smaller monofin. I have a bigger. Yes, hers is more flowy, but you can see that mine gets really flowy too might be a better comparison

I see what you mean, now. Thanks for the clarification! I'm still going to be so sad to see Rapidash in retirement.

Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Corabelle's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Corabelle On Twitter Add Mermaid Corabelle on Facebook Add Mermaid Corabelle on Google+
    Follow Mermaid Corabelle on Tumblr Visit Mermaid Corabelle's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Merman Dan View Post
    Finfolk has a payment plan, if that helps your planning process.
    I'm new and have been researching tails to purchase when I'm ready; I was considering Finfolk specifically for this reason.
    Do any of you know if there are any other tailmakers who also do payment plans?

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes Theta's Avatar
    Follow Theta On Twitter Add Theta on Facebook
    Follow Theta on Tumblr
    I think what you want to do with your tail should also be taken into consideration when thinking about fluke design. I've got a Competitor in my tail, but that's because I'm interested in taking it out in open water, where something stronger is needed to handle the currents. When I get my tank tail, I'm going to want something much softer to handle the smaller space. How will you be using your tail?

^ what she said. Competitors are great for big open and deep spaces. They take less effort. great if you arent the best swimmer (like I was when I started)

Oh wow! Holy crap, thanks guys!

Ok so mostly I'm getting this for personal fun. I'll mostly be in a pool with it, though I might occasionally take it to a lake and even more rarely (like next to never) take it to an ocean. I like in colorado so the ocean is far fetched, really. I guess in that case I wouldn't need a stronger monofin, but it's great to see that they do get flow! They always looked so stiff in the pictures.

Merin, what I meant on her new blended waist option was this:

I love that look as it's more natural than just simply having the waist line colored like your skin tone....