Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Strangest thing or things you have ever eaten

Senior Member Pod of Cali

Strangest thing or things you have ever eaten

It just has to be outside the "norm" to work.

I recently had this amazing fruit that I had never heard of called a Pluot. It's a cross between a plum and an apricot and its SO good. Very sweet!
    User formerly known as "Allie free".

Senior Member Pod of The South Marlin's Avatar
    Add Marlin on Facebook
    Ate live squid in Korea one time. Was still wiggling and everything. It....Was...DELICIOUS.
    Even mermaids need tech support.

Well, I've had possum, raccoon, turtle, alligator, and I personally enjoy the taste of banana tree leaves.
    Hugs, fishes, and mermaid kisses!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Crocodile soup in Singapore and sea urchin roe.

Croc soup was quite nice but pretty strong taste. Sea urchin roe smells like poop and the taste is very unusual. Of the two, croc soup I would have again, sea urchin no.

Senior Member Pod of The South Marlin's Avatar
    Add Marlin on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Gem Stone View Post
    Well, I've had possum, raccoon, turtle, alligator, and I personally enjoy the taste of banana tree leaves.

LOVE the taste of gator. Had it blackened in a burger...
    Even mermaids need tech support.

Well I ate cows tongue In Japan. They cut it in thin slices like pepperoni and then you grill the slices yourself. It was actually quite delicious. I also ate a whole horse mackerel, it was literally cut open, grilled or baked, then served on a plate which was cool.

Senior Member Pod of Cali
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    LOVE the taste of gator. Had it blackened in a burger...
    Sweet! I had some in a bratwurst!
    User formerly known as "Allie free".

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Almost tried black pudding once when i went to the UK year ago... The someone told me what it was actually made of... Blergh! I had thought it was some kind of sweet dessert!

Strangest thing or things you have ever eaten

I tried black pudding. I knew what it was and my friend thought he was pranking me :P He was impressed when he's asked, "Do you knew what you just ate?" And I told him exactly what I just ate, and didn't care :P

Let's see.. I've had gator and kangaroo jerky, and conch fritters. Nothing crazy.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

It turns out normal food for me usually falls into the range of "strange" for a lot of Western people.

Like my favorite breakfast, it's sheep cheek and tongue with the brains used like butter. I never thought it was strange until I came to America and could not, for the life of me, find the flipping sheep heads in the grocery store. Thankfully my new grocer carries them, so it's all good.

The thing I did eat that I found strange was done on accident (because I am near positive it's actually banned religiously for me). It was called kutti pi. I was told it was a goat curry, which it is, but I wasn't told how young the goat was that I was eating. It actually tasted pretty close to regular goat, if a bit more tender, but I won't eat it again just because my religion is pretty clear about not eating animals that are too young, for moral reasons. And kutti pi is WAY too young. I'm good with regular goat. It's got a better flavor.

I've also had bear (greasy, ew), and eat alligator (lean and yummy) elk, deer, bison, buffalo, ostrich, and pigeon with some regularity. I'm trying to figure out what it is that I eat that actually qualifies as strange, because I'm so used to stuff I forget how it sounds to others.

Oh, I also ate a starfish. My mom told me to hold it so she could take a picture of her little baby sea-faerie with the sea-star, and while she was getting the camera, I ate one of its legs... Ok, two of its legs. I think I liked it because it was crunchy.... I can't really recall my logic because I was only three years old at the time. But it being crunchy seems to make sense. My mom was horrified.
    آناهیتا پری دریایی
    Anahita, The Persian Mermaid
    Facebook - Shop - Tumblr - Storytime with Shahrzad - Blog

Squid jerky, didnt realize that was a thing until on of my workout crazy shipmates showed me.. the smell of fish is way over powering and it taste just like it smells plus salt.
    "What can you see, On the horizon? Why do the white gulls call? Across the sea, A pale moon rises.. The ships have come to carry you home."

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    Standard sushi fare: octopus, eel, urchin, and conch as well as "live" scallop and urchin roe.

Trips to China and Taiwan: century egg, jellyfish, sea cucumber, whole river shrimp, stinky tofu... though I still crave simple congee with scallions and peanuts

edible.com: toasted leafcutter ants, thai curry crickets, pearl dust
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

Quote Originally Posted by FutureMermaidNaveh View Post
    Squid jerky, didnt realize that was a thing until on of my workout crazy shipmates showed me.. the smell of fish is way over powering and it taste just like it smells plus salt.
    Yeah I had that in Japan its super popular over there. It was actually one of my favorite snacks.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    When I had my motorcycle, I would end up eating a lot of bugs, but not on purpose. Does that count?

Haha balut! I'll spare those of you that are blissfully unaware of what it is.

Never again.

Sent by Jellyfish

I think the oddest thing I've eaten or tasted is "Svartsoppa" (translates to Black soup, but it's not the same thing as the greek Blacksoup).
    You eat it on a Scanian holiday called "Mårten Gås", which is the day before Saint Martins eve which is on the 11th of november.
    It's basically a soup made of goose blood. (Gås is goose)
    You eat it as a starter course, followed by the main course which is a fully roasted goose. (Like americans eat their turkey)
    It tastes... Like iron.

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    I've had cow tongue as well, though my family's recipe is to stuff, brown, and then roast it. I love it.
    Another family recipe is debris (pronounced day-bree with a rolled r), which is most of the organs of a cow in brown gravy.
    Sea urchin sushi (not that great)
    Raw egg yolks as an energy boost blended in milk with molasses (yum!)
    Steak tar tar (raw beef pate. Really love it)
    I've had alligator (fried, barbecued, and in red gravy) and snapping turtle. Hope to one day try rattlesnake.
    Stingray (my husband's favorite fish. Too bad you can't buy it and can only catch your own)shark and eel.
    There's probably more I'm forgetting right now. Does it count that my family once gathered local wild edibles and cooked them up like spinach?
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

So thanks to this thread, I know what black pudding is...and I wish I hadn't known xD I don't think I could ever eat that but hey, to each their own. The weirdest thing I ever ate was deer ribs and a deer burger. I was at a family get together (in the southern parts of south Carolina) and was eating some thanksgiving dinner. Me and my cousin argued over what we were eating, my family member told us it as Deer. Worst diarrhea of my life.
    About 3 or 4 years after that, I was back in south Carolina at another get together and had a bite of a burger, only to find out it was deer burger >> Yeah, not for me. It's not that it wasn't good, I just have no interested in eating bambi.

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aziara View Post
    Stingray (my husband's favorite fish. Too bad you can't buy it and can only catch your own)shark and eel
    Look for a local Asian food market. The local one here has stingray from time to time. For the record, some places serve stingray and call them scallops, since they taste the same.
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaMage108 View Post
    So thanks to this thread, I know what black pudding is...and I wish I hadn't known xD I don't think I could ever eat that but hey, to each their own. The weirdest thing I ever ate was deer ribs and a deer burger. I was at a family get together (in the southern parts of south Carolina) and was eating some thanksgiving dinner. Me and my cousin argued over what we were eating, my family member told us it as Deer. Worst diarrhea of my life.
    About 3 or 4 years after that, I was back in south Carolina at another get together and had a bite of a burger, only to find out it was deer burger >> Yeah, not for me. It's not that it wasn't good, I just have no interested in eating bambi.
    lol.... as a kid, when I finally figured out what happened to Bambi's mother, my only comment was "oh, must have been tasty!" Being raised on a farm, with a family that hunts, youisorta have a very different viewpoint on stuff.
    Also known as Salina Tideglow